Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Shop Announcements > General

Old 09-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Default Tattoo Masters Magazine interviews All or Nothing Tattoo

Dave Tedder

Describe yourself in 140 characters twitter style.

Hilariously witty, yet not afraid to shake a motherf@#ker down. Loyal till death, unless given a reason to hate. Oh, one bad ass tattooer, too.

How long have you been tattooing?

Jesus, I know it's one of the stock questions that has to be handled in an interview, but it really is one I have to answer on a daily basis. It's all good though, after 10 years I've learned how to answer it with grace and a little bit of style. My career really began 15 years ago, in my home town of Florence, South Carolina. But, before then, it was something I dreamed of as a small child. I've known I was destined to tattoo since I was about ten years old. In the state where I was born and raised, tattooing was actually illegal up until 2006, I think. I was gone long before it became legalized, but that's beside the point, the bug hit me at a very young age. Ever since I was a wee little chap, tattooing has fascinated me. I know most artists have that uncle, or maybe even their father, who had tattoos that they used to trace with their finger as a child. Not me. As a kid growing up in rural South Carolina, I noticed that only the outlaw types had tattoos. The hard-ass bikers with long hair and naked ladies, inked in the old school blue/black ink, running down their arms. Images of skulls, snakes, and daggers, adorning every exposed area of skin, flipped some kind of a switch in me. I saw these guys, guys everyone gave wide berth to when they were walking down the street, and I knew I wanted to be like them. I knew I wanted to be the one that made these sweet f@#king designs on their arms, I wanted to be the one that made these forbidden images, for others, to wear like their hearts on their sleeves. So, I tried to find as much information as I could. Unfortunately, in the backwoods of small town South Carolina, there wasn't much to be had. By the time I was 15, I had scraped together enough knowledge to know that the only proper way to go about it was to apprentice under an established artist, and progress from there. Everyone I had spoken with, and everything I had read, convinced me that trying to teach myself was only going to lead to me fighting in the dark for years. Sure, I had lots of opportunities to make some s&!tty jailhouse "tat gun", but I always tried to keep the high road. I knew that my life and tattooing would eventually cross paths, so, I waited and watched all of my friends get s&!t-faced, and give each other really horrible names and ugly little hearts and banners.

Knowing that I would never find an apprenticeship in a state where tattooing was still illegal, I knew that I had to find a way out, a way to help myself glide into the industry a little bit smoother. While tattooing was illegal, the piercing industry really hit it big in South Carolina right around 1994-1995, and by 1996, I had already taken an extremely quick, and not so thorough, piercing apprenticeship. I moved to Myrtle Beach the summer of that same year, and promptly talked myself into the main position at the busiest piercing studio in Myrtle Beach. I've always been a natural hustler, and they had no idea I was lacking the experience I probably needed. The beach in the late 90's was fertile ground for piercing, and I really spent about two weeks in a serious trial by fire. It was insane, the three seasons I worked in Myrtle Beach, I did more piercings every day than most shops do in a week or a month. NO exaggeration. I've never seen anything like it since, and I'm sure that since tattooing became legalized in South Carolina the piercing trade is nothing like it used to be.

After three seasons of piercing in Myrtle Beach, I knew that if I stayed longer, I might never realize my real dream of tattooing. I set out for Florida in 1998, to live with friends, in a state that might open up real possibilities for me. I was in South Florida for almost a year, and had bounced between a few studios, before I met someone whom I felt comfortable learning from. I had a few offers in that year, but I didn't want to make the mistake of learning bad habits from a bad artist. I had done a lot of research over the years, and I knew that if I didn't get it right the first time, I could spend years trying to figure out my bad habits and then unlearn them. After enough searching, I finally started working with Holden Ritchison at Bulldog Tattoo, down on Fort Lauderdale beach. I became aware of Holden's work as soon as I arrived in Florida, it was some of the cleanest and most solid I had ever seen. Needless to say, I was more than excited to be working with him. Then after enough begging, he finally agreed to teach me how to tattoo. It was one of the happiest days of my life, until the owner of the shop said that I couldn't apprentice at his studio. Afterward, it also became clear that I was no longer welcome there. Old school mentality, to say the least. He wouldn't outright fire me, but I was given the worst shifts, and through attitude, it became apparent that I was going nowhere fast. Since he was fed up with the studio as well, Holden and I left simultaneously to work at Babylon Tattoo. Novi, the owner, was in need of a piercer and tattooer, and he was more than willing to let me apprentice, if it meant gaining Holden as an artist. It was almost as if the stars were finally aligning for me and my dream. I spent the next year busting my ass, getting to the shop before everyone else and making sure it was spiffy and neat before it was open for business, making needles, running stencils, scrubbing tubes, being the brunt of every ones jokes, and tattooing as much as possible. I was hella glad for every bit of it. I was living the dream. Right around the turn of the century/millennium, I was given the green light to start charging clients and booking real appointments. I let myself think that I was on top of the world, for just a brief second, then I brought myself back to reality. I knew that there was so much more work to be done, if I was ever going to figure this tattoo thing out for real. The green light alone was not enough to make me happy. At this point, I knew there was much more to tattooing than I could imagine, and I wanted to soak up as much of it as I could. I could never be satisfied with being mediocre or middle of the road. So, I guess the short answer is almost 11 years.

Where did you live before coming to Atlanta? How long have you been with ALL OR NOTHING and how did you come to work at such a prestigious studio?

It's a pretty crazy adventure since Florida. My mother died during my apprenticeship, right near the end of it. It was hard times for sure. I hadn't seen my family in years at this point and it was a difficult cross to bear. After she passed away, my father tried to maintain and keep himself together, but he is an old school southerner if there ever was one. He didn't even know how to do his own laundry, didn't know how a washer or dryer even worked. When he called me and I heard fear in my fathers voice for the first time in my life, I knew that I had an obligation to what was left of my family. I moved back to South Carolina and sought out work in North Carolina, where tattooing was legal. Originally, I worked in Lumberton, the tiniest town I've ever tattooed in. It was the closest town to the South Carolina border. After almost a year of quasi-hard times, I couldn't take it anymore. I had to get out, but I still wanted to stay close to my family, so I started traveling, even further north, and began working in Fayetteville. This time it was an hour and a half commute each way, instead of the hour to Lumberton, but the extra miles didn't make any difference to me. I started working at a busy studio called Chop Shop Tattoo. Fayetteville was a military town, and the studio is located in an area where most of the officers live, so there was plenty of custom work to go around. It was a nice combination of walk-ins to help build up the speed, and enough custom work to keep me artistically challenged. I worked there for almost a year as well, and it was a hard thing to have to leave. I really enjoyed my time there, but the traveling bug struck me, as it usually does, and I had to make miles. By this time my sister had moved in with my father, so the family was taken care of, and I started traveling for a few months. I sat in and did a few guest spots at various studios, traveled to new cities and sold flash, did a few conventions, and settled in Asheville, North Carolina for a few months. Asheville is a wonderful city, but it's also a small one. The studio I worked in was very nice and extremely artsy, but the owner and I butted heads on a regular basis. It made for a rough work environment, despite the benefits of the city, so I couldn't stay. The road was calling once again, and when the road calls, who the f@#k am I to ignore it? So yet again, I was off on the flash route. I made a new set, specifically to travel with and sell on the road. I did a few more guest spots, a few more conventions, but somehow, I couldn't shake the bad luck that Asheville stuck to me. At least that's how it felt. Nothing seemed to have changed in my approach, but the outcome was vastly different. Instead of having a blast on the road, and making lots of money while seeing new places, I seemed to have hit a dry spell on all fronts. The flash market seemed to have dried up, every shop I stopped to work at for a week or two was in the middle of a slow spell. All of the conventions I worked were a complete bust for me. Life is like a roller coaster sometimes, and you have your ups and your downs, this time I was on a serious dip in the track. Then my car finally kicked the bucket. It had died long before, but I refused to accept it, so when It finally had enough and couldn't go any further, I knew I had to figure out contingency plan B.

I called my good friend DJ Minor, because I knew he was working a studio that was generating a lot of buzz in the South East, All Or Nothing Tattoo. I knew Brandon Bond had just opened the studio in Atlanta. I saw the studios' full page ads in the local magazines and had already seen a writeup or two as well, so I was interested in whether or not they were hiring. I was surprised as hell when Dj told me they had only been open for a few weeks and needed someone bad. I thought that the studio had at least 6 months to a year under it's belt, as much as I had heard about it already. I promptly put together a mini portfolio and sent it to Atlanta. When they received it, DJ called me back. He gave me the go ahead to come down for a guest spot, just to make sure everyone worked well together, and so Brandon could make sure that I wasn't a douche-bag. I was a sad case at that point in my life, and I actually had to ride into town on a Greyhound bus. Not something I'm proud of, but on a long enough time line, it's just another dip in the track. I spent two weeks at All Or Nothing, and they were the best, most profitable two weeks of that year so far. Brandon and DJ decided that, despite the horse I rode in on, I was a good fit for the studio, so I was officially among the employed again, and happy to be there. I went back to South Carolina to tie up a few loose ends I had there, packed up my gear, and moved to Atlanta forthwith. No bus this time, I was actually able to get an old friend to drive me down, and I moved into a hotel for the first few months I worked at the studio. The reason I lived in a hotel is because All Or Nothing was so damn busy that I didn't have time to look for a place to live. I went months and months without a day off, and I was happy to do so. Sure Brandon and I butted heads a bit during the early days, that tends to happen a lot with me, but I recognized his genius for what it is, and I'm pretty sure he recognized my loyalty and dedication for what it is. Both of us tolerated the other until eventually we became close friends. It was through touring that we really got to know each other and became best friends.

I've always been a gypsy at heart, and the road is always on my mind, but fortunately Brandon isn't an owner that tries to stifle personal growth as an artist, quite the opposite... he encourages it. Most shop owners aren't too keen about their artists taking off any weekend they want and doing a convention or ten. Brandon is smart enough to realize that what is good for one of his artists, is good for everyone and the studio. So travel is always an option at All Or Nothing. Anyone here can do as many conventions, or travel as much as they please. It really is the most comfortable work environment I've ever experienced, or even heard of. That's why I've never had the desire to leave, not once. I'm afforded the best of both worlds, and the opportunities here are limitless.

What is your favorite type of tattooing to do?

That really is a loaded question, huh? My favorite type of tattooing is the expensive type! HA! Really though, it's kind of hard to pin down, because so many different styles of tattooing have fascinated me over the years. One look through my on-line gallery and it's kind of apparent that I like to work in many different styles. At first, I was fascinated by traditional tattooing, because that's what Holden focused on, so that's what I was exposed to the most at the beginning of my career. That quickly evolved into a deep love for neo-traditional Americana. That's really my first love. I spent so many hours studying and stealing. Playing the mad tattoo scientist, and backwards engineering all the tattoos that I thought were incredible at the time. I focused on that when I could, but when I started to feel that I had some understanding of it, my attention slowly started drifting towards more Japanese themed tattoos. When Albie-Rock was down at the studio working with us, he and Brandon saw a koi fish that I had done that night, and both of them agreed that Japanese was where I needed to start focusing my efforts. That was really the only push I needed, and I was balls deep in it. I dove into my studies with a furious fever, trying to soak up as much knowledge about the history of the art as I could, while still reverse engineering every tattoo I admired. I've spent quite a few years now working on dragons or koi fish, damn near every day of the week. I still have a love and passion for the oriental arts, but I'm currently becoming more and more fascinated with black and grey tattooing. Especially, portraiture and realism. It's a realm of tattooing that never really interested me before, but completely consumes me now. Hopefully, in the future, I'll find some way to balance my passion for Japanese style tattooing, and my desire to do more black and grey realism. That is one thing I love about Europe and the UK. Whenever I'm over here I get to do so much more black and grey than I do back home.

What machines do you use? How many do you set up for a substantial session?

Wow! I use a lot of machines. Especially these days. Of course, since I started over 10 years ago, I began with only two, which is one more than a lot of guys I know. But over the years, my collection has grown substantially. I usually don't buy collectors machines, because my father was a carpenter, and I'm a firm believer that a tool is meant to be used as often as possible. It longs for use, but I do have a few that have never broken skin. But mainly, my collection consists of heavy duty irons meant to take a beating. For the longest time, I used Pulse machines exclusively, but over time that changed as well. Currently, my daily drivers are a Seth Cifferi brass Wienerdog, a Lucky Irons Walker frame with a Greek Lira bolted to the side that I have dubbed "The Ass Sex Machine", a Pulse Executive Liner, a Seth prototype Walker-esque cutback liner, an Infinite Irons Walker frame, that I picked up off of Joey D when he rolled through the shop, and an Eric Merrill limited edition machine, from Pulse, that also uses Walker geometry. Notice a trend there? I love a Walker frame, and I hate a welded frame. Joey and Seth are the only guys I know that can weld a frame and not make it sound like dog s&!t.

What type of needles & groupings do you prefer? How did you come to start using them?

I've changed groupings a lot over the years. Like most, at times, I thought there was a secret that I just didn't know, but there isn't. I found that it's really just what you're comfortable using. I started out like everyone did down in Florida, about 10 years ago, using 7's & 7's; 7 rounds, and 7 magnums with the occasional tight 3. Then over the years, I branched out and broadened my horizons a bit, and tried a 5 liner. So, I threw that into the mix when I needed it. Then eventually, after quite a few years, I tried a 9 mag and thought I was in heaven. I didn't know how I ever lived without it. So pretty soon, I figured out how to fit a 9 mag into everywhere I used to go with a 7. After the 7 mag was taken out of the mix, I tried an 11 and a 13 mag. I spent a few years experimenting, trying to figure out what worked best for me, and eventually I dropped the 11 mag. It just wasn't doing it for me. I settled on a 13 mag and the occasional 9 mag. It has to be a pretty tight piece with lots of little areas for me to break out a 9 mag these days. As for liners, I use tight 7's, loose 7's, and super tight 5's. And by super tight 5's, I mean 5's that could pass as a 3 or even a single at times.

Is Brandon really a psychopath to work for?

Like I said earlier, Brandon and I butted heads a lot during the first few months. And while it took me quite a while to come around to his way of thinking, that is mainly because I was extremely stubborn, not because he's crazy or wrong. Do I think Brandon is a psychopath? No. I do see how those on the outside could perceive him as such though. I'm sure it can seem confusing for those on the outside looking in. Truth is, s&!t moves so fast around here that everything that gets put out there, for the world to see, is always two or three steps behind what's currently going on, and it's about 10 steps behind whatever he's got cooking for the future. So it must be a lot to keep up with. You wouldn't believe some of the rumors I hear. The tattoo industry is worse than a sewing circle, playing the children's game "telephone" at times. But it is what it is, and like P.T. Barnum said, "No Press is bad Press." Truth be told, I've worked with Brandon since the start, over 6 years now and many more to come, and he is the closest thing to Howard Hughes/P.T. Barnum that the tattoo community has. Regardless of your opinion, whether you love his antics or hate them, you can't deny that they work.

What has changed about your tattooing since you first walked in the front door of ALL OR NOTHING?

Everything, really. I've been here so long now that if my tattooing hasn't rolled over a few times already, I would be stagnating. I'm a firm believer in moving forward. There is no room, and no reason, for complacency in this business, especially these days. The new kids are coming up fast, and it's really easy to get left behind if you don't practice your art to the best of your abilities every day. When I first came to the shop I was knee deep in my neo-traditional phase, I was painting watercolors every day and picking up new tricks as often as I could. Over the years, my style has drifted more towards the Japanese inspired motifs, and my technique has changed drastically. I think that's part of the growth I was talking about as well. The more time you spend actually implanting pigment under the skin, the more you begin to understand the process. You have to spend as much time studying your craft as you do practicing your art. You can have all the best designs in the world, but, if you don't understand the fundamentals of tattooing, and the basis behind your techniques, you're gonna really s&!t the bed when your favorite machine dies on you mid-tattoo.

I seriously believe you should have a completely different outlook, on everything concerning tattooing, every 2-3 years. If not, you're standing still and watching the herd pass you by.

Everyone that comes arrives at different times, so the list of artists is always in flux. Who have YOU worked with, gotten tattooed by, met or gotten to watch work since coming to ALL OR NOTHING? And how did any of that affect you and your art.

You know, I started working at All Or Nothing about 3-4 weeks after the doors first opened, so I've had the opportunity to work with everyone who's ever worked here, or done a guest spot at the studio. I feel extremely fortunate for all of the experiences I've had here. Just imagine anyone that has ever worked here, even if only for a day, and I've stolen at least one trick from them. Many of the artists, I sought out and personally hired when I was managing the studio, and many of them came to us seeking a way to further their careers and their art.

The best thing about working with so many different artists is the constant barrage of different ideas. Everyone who works here, or comes for a guest spot, have such different styles that it's impossible to not be inspired every day I come to work. When Eric Merrill was here, I learned more about watercolor painting in one day than I had taught myself in an entire year. And when Bob Tyrell came, and tattooed Short, I learned more about portraiture than I had in years. Plus, getting to work beside such talented artists like Short Parker, Vince Villalvazo, Tony Mancia, and Chris Birdsong every day keeps me on my toes. It's exciting to have such a group of talented artists next to you, it gives you someone else to impress.

What other type of art do you produce? Paintings, video, flash, graphics etc?

I don't produce anywhere near as much art as I should these days, but that recently changed. I used to paint with a lot of watercolors. I've put out three sets of flash and I'm currently working on my fourth, but my newest passion is oil painting. I've wanted to get into oils for awhile now, but they've always been kind of intimidating. Recently, I decided to dive in head first, and now Paul Booth has agreed to let me come up for a few days and steal some of his oil trickery. I'm really excited to learn more with this medium, and I can't wait til' I have created something that I feel worthy of print.

Was there ever a time when you realized you had figured this out or had an "art epiphany" about your own growth as a tattooer?

HA! Every six months, I sit back after I've had such an epiphany and think, now I've got this s&!t figured out, I get it now. Then six more months down the line, I realize that all this s&!t I thought I knew half a year ago was only the tip of the iceberg. That's the beautiful thing about tattooing, as long as you treat it good, it will find a way to keep you interested. That's the trick, you do right by tattooing, and tattooing will do right by you.

What kind of inks do you use?

What, are you trying to learn how to tattoo or something? I like how you slid that question in, a few personal questions after the needle question. I use a mix though. I have yet to find a complete set that I love entirely. But, currently, I use a mix of Dynamic and Pelican black, a lot of Classic Colors, I love Troy's pigment, and a few select Starbright colors, Scarlet, White and Yellow, mainly for mixing. It's hard to say really, because the inks I use change like my styles have changed over the years. It all falls under that "now I've got this s&!t figured out" epiphany that keeps happening.

What types of tattoos would you LIKE to do, like if you could start doing any specific style a lot, what would it be?

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm really fascinated by black and grey realism these days, and if there was any particular style I would like to focus on, it would be anything I've had a hand in developing, except in black and grey, instead of color. Portraits with crazy backgrounds, Japanese themed images done ultra realistic, or even extremely religious images. Anything black and grey. I'm especially partial to creating really dark images from from obscure sculpture reference.

What do you love about tattooing the most?

I love the fact that tattooing can take me anywhere I want to go. Tattooing has saved my life, many times over, and it continues to do so to this day. I mean that in the most literal of senses. Without tattooing, there is no telling what cell block I might be on, or what shallow grave I may have ended up in. Tattooing has kept me grounded. Tattooing has continually been good to me, and in return I've tried to give as much back as I can through hard work and dedication. Tattooing is one of the fairest trades I know.

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.allornothingtattoo.com
www.vickdogmovie.com
www.strangleholdmerch.com
www.atlantapitbullrescue.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Default Re: Tattoo Masters Magazine interviews All or Nothing Tattoo

Matt Dunlap

Matt Dunlap is Matt Dunlap, thats about all there is to it.

I have been tattooing over 3 years now.

How long have you been with ALL OR NOTHING?

I did my apprenticeship at All or nothing, so i would say i have been with the family around 5 years.

Where DID you live before coming to Atlanta?

I am from the Buffalo, NY area.

How did you come to ALL OR NOTHING, tell us the story!?!

I was a graphic designer, prior to putting my life into tattooing. I was always intrigued by tattooing and my love for art, so i started

looking into switching media. A friend of mine was getting a large backpiece from Brandon and introduced me to the shop, and I have

never wanted to leave since.

I am still exploring all the possibilities. There are so many different styles at the shop that look awesome; it's hard to decide.

Although, I am partial to things that are funny, don't make sense, tv references, video game references, or that are vintage in nature.

What type of needles & groupings do you prefer? How did you come to

start using them? when I started tattooing, I was only allowed to use a 3 liner and a 7 mag. But, as life has gone on, now I use 3,5,7,8,9 liners

and 7,9 mags, straight and curved. I know a lot of people use larger mags, but I like mine small.

What has changed about your tattooing since you first walked in the

front door of ALL OR NOTHING?

I had no tattooing style when I walked in the door, but my ideas and styles of art have changed drastically.

Everyone that comes arrives at different times, so the list of artists

is always in flux. Who have YOU worked with, gotten tattooed by, met

or gotten to watch work since coming to ALL OR NOTHING? And how did

any of that affect you and your art.

I have been in contact with a ton of artists since I have been here at All or Nothing... let's see, Brandon Bond, Dave Tedder, Short, Bird,

Vince Villavalzo, John lloyd, Tony Mancia, Jarvis, Jason Adkins, Jace Masula, Sean Herman, Josh Woods, Lenny Renken, Ted Wallens,

Pepto, Joe Waulken, Nate Beavers, Carl Cederman, Mike Devries, Mike Demassi, Bob Tyrell, Billy Hill, Justin Jarrel, Jason Akerman,

Josh Loyal, Shauncey Fury, Queke, Jason Fritz, Alli Mcgregor, John Mongomery, Preston, Mister, Jeff Peatzold, Tim Victim, Tim Orth,

Tim Mcgrath, Chris Vennekamp, J Ranno, Chris Nelson, Pony, Big Al, Anthony Orsatti, CW, I am sure there is more...

(Please don't be offended by the order. There is no order, and if I forgot you, you know I still love ya) They have all given me something to

walk away with. That is the beauty of working with so many people.

I do some paintings, but I am also a nerd, so I paint miniatures. It's fun and relaxing. You should try it some time.

Are you tired of people talking to you about dogs?

I think what we are doing is for a great cause. But, as most people around me know, I am scared of dogs, pretty much all of them, but mine.

How has your LIFE been changed since coming?

Art is my Life, that about sums it up.

Was there ever a time when you realized you had figured this out or

had an "art epiphany" about your own growth as a tattooer?

I have art epiphanies every day, watching and working with other artists.

I primarily use Starbrite. My drawer has also been known to have some Eternal, Intenze and Waverly. It really depends on the Color.

Even different blacks have different advantages, which is why I bounce between Talons, Dynamic, and National Triple Black.

What is it like to work with so many artists from all over everyday?

It's awesome. You get to see so many styles, and get to bounce ideas off of so many artists' minds. One of the coolest things is that everybody

works together so well, we are all friends. It's not a competition. We are here so all of us can continue to grow.

What types of tattoos would you LIKE to do, like if you could start

doing any specific style a lot, what would it be?

I find that people who pick just a single style get stuck doing that style day in and day out. Keeping my styles open, I feel, will keep

me from feeling like my art is getting stale.

Tell me about your kids (if you've got any?)

My kid is awesome. He is way too smart for his own good. I wish there were more days in the week, so I could hang out with him

more.

I love the fact that it makes me think hard and work hard. There is always going to be something to learn, there is no limit. There is

no top, if you think you know everything or stop working, someone else will pass you just to prove you wrong. Art is boundless, and tattooing is the media i love.

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.vickdogmovie.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

John Lloyd

I did my first tattoo at Brandon Bond's private Anti Art Elite Studio. It was on tattoo artist Tim Orth, back in April 2006. I was extremely nervous. I did a few paying tattoos traveling out of state doing "guest spots". But did not feel I was at the All or Nothing Studio level. I feel I started tattooing when I was hired three years ago.

Gosh, has it been that long? I started my apprenticeship with All or Nothing in March of 2005. So my loyalty has been five and a half years so far and running. Some days it seems like yesterday, other times I have trouble remembering anything else.

I hail from the Buckeye state. Midwest boy all the way. I grew up just outside of Dayton, Ohio. My folks still live there and I visit the few chances I get every year. People in Atlanta don't understand snow.

I wanted to do something different with my life. The last eight years I had been teaching art in public schools. I wanted to push my art skills to the highest level. I was fascinated with tattooing, and wanted to learn from the best. Every magazine I picked up had images and articles from this Mecca of tattooing, in Atlanta, called All or Nothing; lead by this genius, wild man, Brandon Bond. When I attended a seminar of his, I was sold. I quit teaching, cashed in my savings, and called the studio every day until someone would consider me for an apprenticeship. It took about a month. The day I came in with my artwork and met everyone, I ended up in the back sweeping up at closing time. The rest as they say...is history.

What brought you to move to Atlanta to work at ALL OR NOTHING?

Surprisingly, I moved to Atlanta in 1999, with my now ex-wife. I was still a teacher. She had gotten a promotion, and we moved south. When I did research to find out where to learn about tattooing, I lucked out to find All or Nothing just 45 minutes away. I would have driven across the country and it was in my backyard. It's like a curve ball. You don't think it will get there, until it is in the strike zone.

Some of my favorite tattoos were the ones where the client had a good sense of humor and wanted something original. Or a technical piece that was right on the edge of what I was capable of doing. I tend to draw out everything I can before a client shows up for their appointment, but a few just need to be drawn right onto the skin with sharpie. The more comfortable I get with drawing on the skin, the more I enjoy doing it.

I have a lot of machines, but only use maybe four on a regular basis. My two daily drivers are an Axis Iron's liner, and Pulse shader. You just can't go wrong with the Executive, and a Solution pair, from Pulse. They are reliable, right out of the box. I have several Axis Iron's machines including #1, but they need the occasional tinkering. I have a brass Paco Rollins that puts in black and gray smoothly for me. I try, even with big pieces to just set up two machines. Now that I am trying to vary my line weight, I will set up a second liner. Still, that is only three machines.

start using them?

I favor a really tight seven round to line with. For me it is quite versatile. I started with threes. Never use them now, unless absolutely necessary. My second liner, if needed, would be a regular eight round. It took me forever to give up using a seven mag for everything. I now have one leg into my big boy pants, using eleven mags. Eventually, I will put the other leg in, and step up to thirteens. I know they are popular where I work. Just look at Dave Tedder's tattoos. Between you and me I still have a crush on seven mags.

Whether tattooing, film making, marketing, or philanthropy; there is no doubt that Brandon is passionate about everything that he does. I am sure that he stands in front of a urinal, thinking about how he can relieve himself more efficiently, and somehow improve the lives of others, while getting paid to do it. He has built a tattoo empire because of his "lead, follow, or get out of my way" attitude. If someone calls him a psychopath it is because they fall into the "get out of my way" category.

What hasn't changed. I had no idea the depth of understanding these guys have about tattooing. The days of "you pick it I'll stick it" are numbered. Today is all about pushing the envelope of what a tattoo can be. Custom, one off pieces that have dynamic compositions and are technically challenging are becoming the norm. My eyes have been opened to the possibilities, and there seems to be no limit. It is truly an exciting time to be tattooing.

I have been with the studio for over five years now. Man, the people that have walked through these doors are like a who's who of the tattooing community. Some of the artists that I have been tattooed by here, include; Brandon Bond, Dave Tedder, Sean Herman, Tim Orth, Brian Reynolds, Tony Mancia, Chris Vennecamp, Vince Villilivazo, Short, Bird, and J. Ranno. But I have had the chance to work with and watch; Nate Beavers, Tim "Victim" Pangburn, Tim McGrath, Bob Tyrell, Mike Demassi, Mike Divrise, Josh Woods, Lenny Renkin, Shauncey Fury, Queckie Fury, Danny Pepto, Ted Wallen, Jason Atkins, Chris Nelson, Jase Mazula, Rob Lowe, Taylor Cort.

I still paint. That was an emphasis on my art degree. Mostly acrylic, but the occasional watercolor. I did a sheet of flash a few years back, and should do another one soon. If I start a painting, it needs to be completely done in three days, or I will never finish it. It is one of those things, either now or never. Many of the young whipper snappers I work with will manipulate multiple images digitally and print it out. Not me. I do the bare minimum with that electronic voodoo. New things scare me, and I would rather use a light table over a monitor any day of the week. And twice on Sunday.

I like dogs. And dog people are a different breed. Ha, get it? Someone that talks to me about the cool dog they rescued from a shelter, is different than an owner that wants to show you their dog's Christmas photo with Santa wearing their hand made sweater. I am proud of the small part I played in Victory to the Underdog documentary, as well as anything I have done for the Atlanta Pitbull Rescue. I do get tired of people that just TALK about dogs. I will never tire of people that DO something for dogs.

It feels like tattooing is all I do. Most days I eat, sleep, and breath it. If you do that long enough, the feeling is you need it for nourishment, to rest, and it gives you breath. I am seeking balance in my life, but for now, it is all about work.

Ever since I picked up a tattoo machine for the first time I have been having those moments. I keep thinking, ah, now I get it. Three months later I think, ah NOW I get it. Although my work is better today than it has ever been, the time will come when I realize that I still had not understood it yet.

Most of the pigments I use are either Starbrite or Intenze. I do cheat on these brands with certain other colors and use Waverly, Dermaglo, and Classic for example. As far as black goes, my current favorite is Dynamic. Other tattooists recommend many alternatives, but It is the darkest black I have used.

It's great. Come on?! Who wouldn't like it. Feels like a dream team or something. No attitudes. Each week I steal something amazing from these guys. I will walk one of my clients into another artist's booth and ask their opinion about a piece. Often their suggestion is something I would not have thought of myself. My bag of tricks improves, and the client gets a more original tattoo.

No kids. I am not a breeder. Ha ha. I think that teaching was a good form of birth control. Kids are great. Just for other people. They can call me when they are eighteen, and I will tattoo them. ha ha.

Tattooing is fiercely independent. It is capitalism at it's best. Each day I wake up, I can spend it in the manner of my choosing. Whether I do a thousand dollars worth of tattooing in one day or choose to do cool free stuff all day. I am my own boss. The harder I push myself, the further I can go. No one can tell me I cannot achieve that which I am willing to work for.

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.vickdogmovie.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Old 09-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Short Parker

I was born in the year 3006, and lived in a peaceful socialist society. I never felt like I fit in and I longed for confusion, violence, and general hardships. To teach me a lesson, the Community Council decided to send me to the year 2000. I feel right at home and intend on avoiding any attempts at being returned.

Since my arrival, 10 years ago.

3 years now.

Sector 7 of the Koxprinkle District

I had been tattooed by Dave Tedder and knew him from convention debauchery sessions. He asked me to come fill a spot that had recently been made. Just so happened that I had grown sick of where I was, due for a change. And honestly, I really needed to be around better artists and better tattooers in order to progress.

Awesome ones that have lines and plenty of black ink.

I usually like to set up two liners and a 9 or 13 mag. I like a bold liner (7 or 9) and a smaller 3 or tight 5.

Define "psychopath".

I certainly tattoo better, in general. I have been able to develop a style of my own, somehow.

This question warrants an answer the size of this magazine. The following people have have been a huge influence on my style, technique, facial hair, work ethic, or life in general: Dave Tedder, J Ranno, Bird, Tim Orth, Sean Herman, Fangle, John Goodman, and Jace Masula.

I do tiny brown abstract paintings, on little square pieces of paper, almost every day.I do them for me, so I never show them, or even keep them, for myself really.

I, actually, recently became the proud owner of an awesome pit bull puppy, named Ziggy. So, now I can, at least when I get cornered by the dog people, be more honest.

My life has changed dramatically since coming...into my wife, we have an awesome 5 year old son, named River. He is already cooler and smarter than I am, and I can't be mad about it.

NEVER. My evolution hasn't happened in a way where I could actually witness it taking place, only in retrospect. I do have a laid back approach to life, in general. I don't get all in an uproar about too much. I do enjoy the occasional recreational rant on politics, religion, pop culture,or annoying clientele. I have more opinions than emotions.

Starbright, Eternal, and a few Classics.

So good. I learn as much as I am willing to learn from these dudes. I have to say, the guys I work with right now, are the most talented, inspirational, decent, down to earth guys I have met in one spot, ever! No egos to dance around, no drama or rock stardom. Just good dudes who like to tattoo and create. They want to be as good as they can be. It has been truly surprising. I get so pissed off and hurt when other tattooers lash out at us for rumors, or jealousy, or things people are mad at Brandon for, because the guys I work with would really give you their f@#king shirt. Don't be a douche-fag! Form your own f@#kin' opinions, instead of adopting the same ones as your favorite trucker-hat wearing cool-guy.

Awesome ones, with black lines and even more black shading, on rich people, with no vocal cords.

I still love the actual tattooing the most. The rest kind of becomes a drag to me personally. I know guys who fill their schedule with everything, but doing a damn tattoo. Not talking s&!t, (these guys are usually the successful types), I'm just saying, I can't roll like that.

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.vickdogmovie.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Old 09-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Jace Masula

I am into nature. I am a huge computer nerd and enjoy drinking a homebrew

while programming into the wee hours of the morning. I have a beautiful

family with two young sons. I like guns, creation, and conspiracy theory.

4 years last april.

2 amazing years.

Summerville South Carolina.

I was hanging out in a remote location (which will remain nameless), and

Brandon dropped in on his space golf cart and offered me a chance to

create art aboard mother ship. I accepted the challenge and off we went.

I enjoy all style of tattooing, I do not think I could lock myself down to

just one or two things. There are some types of subject matter that lend

themselves to a particular style of tattooing, and I enjoy exploring them

all whenever I get the chance.

What machines do you use? How many do you set up for a substantial

session?

I use a Pulse Solution, and a Pulse Executive. For larger sessions and

more detailed tattoos, I will also set up my Time Machine Flatline.

start using them?

I was recently introduced to bugpin 11's and curved 13's. My good friend

Vince Villalvazo is an incredible artist and after discussing a tattoo he

had been working on, He handed me a few needles to try, and I fell in love

immediately. Thanx Vincey.

Yes, abso-f@#king-lutely... But not in the way most of you would think. He

is a driving force that cannot be contained within just one human body. It

overflows him and motivates those around him to push the limits of their

own creations, whatever they may be. There are people who are in no way

related to tattooing that find inspiration in his madness. From

destruction to creation, it stokes the glow that is His 'all or nothing'

manifesto.

Well, better put would be what hasn't changed. There is no way possible

that you can surround yourself with incredibly talented artists and not be

effected by their genius. The guys at All or Nothing, aside from good

friends, and good people, are amazing creators. There are moments within

any given day where you watch your friend create the impossible.

Dave, Short, Vince, and Birdsong have been around the longest since my

arrival in 08. I really miss J Ranno and Bryan Renolds too. I still try to

catch up with those guys at shows no and then. Of course all the artists

at the shop contribute to my growth. You really can not help that from

happening in an environment like All or Nothing.

What other type of art do you produce? Paintings, video, flash, graphics

etc?

I like to create in just about every medium I can get my hands on. I like

airbrush, oil paints, anything digital or computers. I produce music (8

years now) and also make little home movies and videos of my exploits. I

program software and I am currently working on a video game that can be

found on http://truthisaweapon.com . I just like to create, it does not

matter what it is.

I love hotdogs, I will talk hotdogs all f@#king day with anyone who wants!

Personally, I prefer hebrew national.

Quite a bit, I've been relocating my family up north and have been

spending time working on the house, trying to get moved in and ready for

this winter. It's not uncommon for us to get multiple feet of snow in a

storm. My kids have grown so much these past few years. All the travel and

back and fourth have taken its toll... on the family, my marraige and the

Jeep wrangler , but i don't regret one second of it. All good things

come through sacrifice of some form, and it feels good to chase your

dreams and succeed.

I have those just about every tattoo. Just when you think you figured it

out, it is surpassed with something new. I resigned myself to the fact

that the learning process never ends, that why I am always open to try new

things and new technologies. I think when you lock yourself into a

particular routine, you become stagnant and uninspired.

I use a number of brands. Starbrite, Intenze Eternal, Waverly, Classic.

It is the greatest resource available. You can bounce an okay idea around

the shop until it becomes a masterpiece. Some of my favorite tattoo ideas

came about this way.

doing any specific style a lot, what would it be? Man that a hard one,

but if a had to choose, I would go for detailed black and gray and white

with subtle color highlights. Organic, alienish ,fantasy weirdness with

hints of mental illness sprinkles mixed in.

I have two sons, Jonas and Gaberiel. They are young and still don't quite

understand this world yet, but amazing none the less.

The part where the client smiles and says, 'I can not believe that I get

to take this home'... which is often the most depressing part as well for

me, it's like releasing your creation to the world. You may never see that

tattoo again, you cross your fingers and hope your pictures come out good.

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.vickdogmovie.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Old 09-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Chris Birdsong

Hi I am BIRD, and I tattoo for fun and money. Bikers, truckers, outlaws, electricians, tattoos, and the south are the factors it took to produce this guy.

- I have been tattooing 8 years, and I never once had any doubt that this is my destiny!

- I started tattooing at All or Nothing in February of 2008. So a little over 2 years.

-I have lived in Macon Georgia my whole life. Right smack in the middle of this beautiful, oppressive, bless his little heart, self-righteous, police state........but I love the woods! Don't get me wrong, I love Georgia. But the people we have running this s&!t, are running this state into the ground!

-I started coming around All or Nothing the same way a lot of other artists, I think. I was seeing some of the sickest tattoos come from here, and knew I had to check this s&!t out in person. I hung out here and there, Made a lot of friends, and would kick it at conventions. One day, out of nowhere, I get a call from Dave Tedder asking if I would like to do some guest spots. Came out to tattoo for a couple of weeks, and a couple of weeks later, I get another call, but this time, it is about a full-time gig. I knew that I had to do it.

-I don't really know the answer to these types of questions. Really, I just love tattooing. I definitely love to do one of, or one of a kind tattoos. Tattoos are my favorite tattoos to do. ha ha. I will put it this way, when someone bases their tattoo decisions simply on price, and don't care anything about my educated opinion, those are my least favorite tattoos.

-I use all kinds of machines. The machines I frequently tattoo with range from 50.00 to 350.00. So, I don't believe you should have to spend a grip for a machine to do a good tattoo. I think if you really know what you're doing, you don't need all kinds of bells and whistles or some dude's name on the side of your machine. There are some sick tattoos that come out of prison- it's working with what you have. I don't believe in air driven machines. Fine if they work for you, but it's like electric machines, don't think you have to have something just because so and so uses them and they do awesome work. Like, hey my setup came in today, who wants a color portrait?

I never use over four machines at one time. Skinny line, fat line, tight shading, wide shading, what else do you need?

start using them?

-I use a couple of different suppliers for needles. Usually King Pin, Bicknee and World Wide. As far as groupings, I use tight liner groupings. Like, instead of using a 3, I will use a tight 5, or using a tight 7 instead of a regular 5. I typically only use 9 and 13 mags. Every once and a while I have to use something smaller or bigger. The biggest, being a 23 mag or smallest, being a 7 mag. I have tried a little of everything over the years. Like machines, I have found that you have to use what you feel comfortable with. I would love to be able to make my own needles again. I believe it is a lost art form. Just knowing that fewer and fewer apprentices, and even legit tattooers, don't even know how to, makes me want to do it even more. I have seen Zeke Owen make mags with liner groupings, that kinda s&!t is dying out.

-To work for? No. The shop is very chill. But have you watched his short film See You In Hell?

-s&!t, everything. For the better, for sure.

-Wow, I don't even know where I would start. Too many of the WORLD'S greatest artist have been through here.

-I constantly draw. Drawing is the best thing you can do for your tattooing. I paint here and there, usually watercolor or acrylics.

-Not really. People are just so passionate when they are talking about dogs.

-Life? I don't know.

-Ok, that's different. Yes, I feel like I have more ideas. When you work with so many great artists, and they all vary in the type or style of tattooing, you are going to pick up this and that. If you were to give everyone at the shop the same concept for a piece, you are going to get 10 completely different ideas. Like, I wouldn't have thought to do that. And I use that to approach a tattoo differently.

-I use a lot of eternal and Starbright. Same with machines and needles, I use what has worked for me for so long.

- Oh, it is a blast. Everyone is so chill and nice.

-Probably Japanese kind of stuff. The imagery is so awesome. And it has meaning, and not just this or that. It has a story. And these stories have been around for centuries. They have a TRUE tradition of tattooing. It's not just, you go to a shop and give them thousands of dollars and they will teach anyone. A lot of tradition and a lot of history. American ways of tattooing are losing the tradition everyday, and they're not even that old yet. I mean, really, just barely even a hundred years old. And we are losing it to consumerism. And we are losing these pioneers of American tattooing left and right. The Japanese hold tattooing pretty f@#king sacred, and that's how I feel. I think we are letting unworthy punks into this sacred secret society. They will have no real since of self. Just like America, no real ancient history, but a sense of being the best. It's cool, I am confident there will come a time where it will force you to prove yourself, and only the strong will survive. Oh, and I f@#king love samurai movies!!

- I have an awesome little boy! I love that guy with everything I have in me and more!!! He will be four this year. So awesome!!

-I love that I know this is my destiny. I love that I can say I create art, and it is under someones skin and it kinda tells a story for that person at a point in their life, even if the tattoo is a unicorn having sex with a dolphin underneath a waterfall and a rainbow. And, I can afford surviving in the world, by me creating these nuggets of "art".

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.vickdogmovie.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Old 09-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Vince Villalvazo

I'm a simple kind of guy, a family man. I love food, art, concerts and movies. I like a good, cold beer, and I love my job!

I have been tattooing for 4 1/2 years now.

I have been working at All Or Nothing for a year and a half now, and it has been one of the most amazing experiences in every aspect. I'm excited to be able to work with such an amazing group of artists.

I lived in Waterford, Michigan. It's a beautiful place!

About five years ago, I worked in a small shop named Fat Brothers in the town of Highland, Michigan; located 40 miles north of Detroit, where I did my apprenticeship under Mark and John Madigan. After a couple years of tattooing and becoming a little more comfortable with my work, I decided to start doing guest spots. The first one was at a shop in Miami, and that gave me a little bit of experience. Shortly after coming back home, my good friend John and I were at work, and I was checking out the All Or Nothing site, which I had been doing a lot even before I started tattooing (because their art blew my mind). I saw this topic that talked about taking some guest artists. At first, I was hesitant to send a message but, I figured it can't hurt to send my portfolio, so I did. In my mind, the chances of getting a response were slim to none. Once I sent my work and contact info I closed my email and forgot about it. I didn't tell anyone that I sent my link in case nothing happened. Two weeks later, I got a call from the shop manager at the time, Dave Tedder, which blew my mind! He was offering a guest spot at the very shop I had been admiring for quite some time. I didn't care that the invite came with a bit of short notice. I got my s&!t together and flew to Ga. I spent four of the most intense days of my career tattooing there. It was a dream come true! I didn't have much time for anything since I tattooed my ass off every day; it was great. Once I got back to Michigan, I was still high from that rush, and was happy because, I landed that spot. It was a big accomplishment in itself. Little did I know, two weeks later I would get the call that would change my life in a radical way for the best. It was Dave Tedder, again, offering me a full-time position. I took a month to get my s&!t together, I loaded my truck with everything I could fit in it, and drove myself down to Georgia, and the rest is history.

It was mostly my desire to excel and grow as an artist. The thought of working with artists, that you respect and look up to, will definitely take you as far as 800 miles from home to be where you are meant to be; so here I am.

I love a mixture of styles; neo-realistic illustrative, if that works as a description.. I like smooth blends, no lines, bold lines, and texture. Basically, when my clients give me enough freedom, I will just draw something up, tattoo it my way, and so far all my clients are happy with the results.

I have all kinds of them but, right now my daily drivers are my Martini and Joey Desormeaux machines. I like to have four machines, that way I have everything I may need right there.

What type of needles & groupings do you prefer? How did you come to start using them?

I mainly use nine mags, 13 mags, three, five and nine rounds.

Brandon is one of the most driven people I have ever met. He has a great understanding of the business and tattooing, and I have learned a great deal of both from him.

What has changed about your tattooing since you first walked in the front door of ALL OR NOTHING?

Everything. It has enabled me to grow tremendously as an artist; it has opened my eyes to new and endless possibilities, and I have been able to continuously learn new things.

Everyone that comes arrives at different times, so the list of artists is always in flux. Who have YOU worked with, gotten tattooed by, met or gotten to watch work since coming to ALL OR NOTHING? And how did any of that affect you and your art.

When I began working at All or Nothing, I was excited to meet all of the artists, but aside from Brandon, there was another artist that I had always looked up to and was excited to meet. That artist was Chris Vennekamp. I had the opportunity to work with Chris and he taught me a lot. I was able to do a few collaborations with him and learned a great deal. I have also been fortunate enough to learn from and work with Brandon Bond, Dave Tedder, Short Parker, Tim Orth, Jace Masula, Chris Birdsong, Matt Dunlap, John Lloyd, Tony Mancia, Jason Adkins and Sam Hinson.

I love working with black pastel, oils, and acrylics.

Was there ever a time when you realized you had figured this out or had an "art epiphany" about your own growth as a tattooer?

I have a new "art epiphany" everyday. I believe that one can never stop learning or growing as an artist. I am constantly learning new things and continuously striving to push myself.

I use eternal, starbrite, national black (which is one of the blackest in my opinion) and a couple of millennium colors.

It is amazing. There is a ridiculous amount of talent under one roof and we constantly feed off each other. It constantly pushes me to improve myself.

I am actually doing what I enjoy doing at the moment. I like a lot of variety, anything that presents a challenge and allows me to explore different techniques.

I have a beautiful 10 year-old daughter. She is amazing in every aspect and loves art as well. It is wonderful because we can draw and paint together.

I love that there is no dress code, I get to meet new people everyday, work in a super relaxed environment and most importantly, I am able to make a living doing what I love to do most; tattoo.

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.vickdogmovie.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Old 09-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Tony Mancia

My name is Tony Mancia. I live for art and tattooing; it has consumed my life and I have no regrets about that. I do my best to keep progressing and find ways to push my art to the next level. I like visual things and love to travel. I find people watching to be one of the best ways to realize who you are, and where you stand in this world. That's about it.

Ive been tattooing for about 4 1/2 years now.

I've been working at All or Nothing since march of 2009.

I used to live in Kingston, Pa!

It is actually a great story, at least for me. When I first started tattooing, I didn't know where or how to further my art. As a beginner, I would look at every tattoo magazine and always see All or Nothing. About 2 years into tattooing, I wanted to make an appointment with Brandon, to get my left sleeve done. When I called the studio, they told me his waiting time, and as an uneducated tattooer at the time, I decided I did not want to wait. The thought was always in my head of how the artists there were so good.

As I started getting better, I tattooed a friend from a local shop. She was always on the All or Nothing Forums, and I think she posted something about me, or a picture of the tattoo I did on her. A few weeks later, I got a comment, on that picture, on myspace, from Brandon, saying that I should come a do a guest spot! So, the next day, I called Dave Tedder and set up the dates! After my guest spot, Dave and I were talking outside the studio, and he said if I wanted a job there it was mine. So, of course, I said yes! That's my story.

The main reason I moved was to be around other artists that had the same drive that I do. I had never been in a studio where everyone works together and supports each other. And that's what All or Nothing is... a Family.

I really enjoy anything that morphs and has motion. I am fascinated with architecture and renaissance art, so it is a strong influence in my work.

I currently use Swash Drive machines; I love them and they work perfect for how I tattoo. I usually Set up 3 machines for every tattoo. A liner with a 5 mag, and two shaders, a 15 and 9 mag.

start using them?

I like Mythra and eternal needles. And, I like long taper needles. I use a 15 mag for about 95% of the tattoo, then tighten up with a 9 mag and liner.

Brandon is a very good and generous person to work for. He honestly does everything he can to help us and see us grow.

The main thing that changed was my mindset. I wanted to create, and honestly had a lot to prove. And that was a great push for me.

I have been tattooed by some great artists and friends, inside and outside of All or Nothing. Every artist I get tattooed by has helped me and my career in many ways. I have only been tattooed by Short and Bird at All or Nothing. The main thing that has helped me from getting tattooed by them is that our styles are so different. So, it is a great way for me to learn and pick their brains.

I am an art nerd! I love painting, though it is difficult to find the time. But, any chance I get, I paint.

Luckily, not that many people talk to me about dogs, but, if it was as much as they talk to Brandon about dogs, yes, I would hate dogs!

Well, it has changed in many ways. I live by myself and don't know many people. So, it is much easier for me to focus on work. I have also been traveling a lot since I moved. I do many overseas conventions and guest spots. Ha, one of these days I will take a vacation, but I can't seem to do anything that does not involve work.

Yes, there was a time when I realized that I was going in the right direction. But, it was disappointing when I realized it, because it only made me want to do better. And, I realized that I will never get to where I want to, but that's a good thing.

I use a mix of Dynamic and Alla Prima for my black. And, mainly use eternal for my color.

It is the most rewarding thing ever. Everyday is a constant inspiration for me!

Well, I mainly only work in a specific style. I don't really know what to call it, but I would say, a mix of realism and conceptual art. Ha, it's great to say that I can normally do what I want and my clients love it!

No kids! I just turned 23, and I can barely deal with a girlfriend. So, if I had a kid, I wouldn't know what to do. And, if I had a kid, it would probably be an ass, like I was when I was young, so I don't want to have to deal with that.

The fact that I can create my art and put it on someone is the best feeling. It is, and always will be, incredible to me that you can share such a personal interaction with another person, and you both can be proud of the outcome.

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.vickdogmovie.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Old 09-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Jason Adkins

Jason Adkins art and family driven workaholic. If I am not tattooing, I am spending time with my family, and that is the only way I would have it.

14 years

7 months

Roanoke, Virginia

My wife and I decided that I would never get my name out there, in the industry, living where we were, in Virginia. We knew the best move for us would be Atlanta. At first, I took a job at another shop, and did not like where I was going, so I went to talk to Dave Tedder. He said he liked my artwork, so, let's go outside to talk. He then told me he couldn't hire me because I worked in Atlanta. Right then, I thought my dreams were over. Then I had a crazy idea. I looked at Dave and smiled. Then I asked Dave, what if I live in Atlanta, and did guest spots out of state, until you needed to hire someone? Dave smiled at me and replied, why yes you can. So, I packed up my stuff and went out on the road, leaving my family here alone in Atlanta, with no family or friends to count on. I did guest spots in Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia. Every time I came home, I would check in with Dave. He would make me wait for HOURS, just for a 5 minute or less conversation, but I knew what was up. Finally, the end of February, I went in and Dave met me at the door. He said, "Good news. Actually, great news. You're hired." He wanted me to start in the next couple of days, but I already had a guest spot in Ohio, tattooing on pro MMA fighters (Jorge Gurgel, Luke Zachrich, Jamie Toney). Guys you don't want to cancel out on and piss off. So, Dave told me when I got back from my guest spot to come in and start working, so I did. When I drove back from Ohio, I drove all night, came home, slept for 2 hours, and drove to the shop, waiting on them to open up. I can't thank Brandon and Dave enough for this once in a lifetime opportunity.

A UHAUL and a Toyota RAV...no, actually, the name says it all...ALL or NOTHING!!!

Color, black and gray photo-realism, and bio-mechanical.

Rich T T-Irons from Bicknee Tattoo Supplies...They are Unbelievable! I set up 2-4 machines for a substantial session.

I like 5 liners, 7 liners, 8 rounds, and 13 mags. I have no idea how I came to start using them...it just happened!

No, he has been nothing but kind and generous to me. He is a go-getter whom, I feel, wants his artists to be successful and give more than 100%.

I am trying to be more dynamic, and push myself to higher standards, just as Brandon has done.

I have not been here for long, but the current crew is so diverse and amazing. You can learn from everyone here. On my journey of tattooing, I have been tattooed by Gill Montie, Billy Beans, Eddie Yeary, and Mark Bell. Other than the All or Nothing crew, I have tattooed with Billy Beans, Eddie Yeary, Mark Bell, Chris Walker, Rich T., Ben Chambers, Ben Hatfield, and Brian Brenner and crew at Truth and Triumph in Dayton, OH.

Acrylic, watercolor, and oil paintings.

No, I am a dog person.

How has your LIFE been changed since coming to All or Nothing?

So far, learning the ins-and-outs of promoting/advertising my art, and doing awesome tattoos on awesome people. I have not been here that long, so I am looking forward to some dramatic life changes.

I don't think I will ever have this all figured out. With art, you are always growing and always evolving in some direction. If you ever get to the point that you do have it all figured out, then it is time to quit.

Phat Cat Kolors

An explosion of talent and knowledge everywhere, and I am trying to soak up every little bit I can.

I like all styles, because I like to change and grow. I'm afraid if I just do one style, I will get labeled.

Jayce is the youngest, and she is definitely the wild child of the bunch. At 4 years old, she already wants purple hair and a REAL red motorcycle. John Lloyd put it best when he said, "She has a personality the size of Nevada." When she grows up, she doesn't want to work. Her plans are to move in with her older sister, and steal money out of her purse. Sebastian is the middle child at 8 years old. One minute he is chilled out, the next he is full blast. He enjoys playing video games and will probably grow up to be a computer guru. That will be a good thing, since it took Mommy and Daddy a week to get the DVD player hooked up after we moved to Atlanta. Maddie is the oldest child at 10 years old. She is very quiet and laid back...the polar opposite of her younger sister. Maddie is a very hard worker and an extremely good ballet dancer. Poor Maddie does, however, allow Jayce to bully and boss her around. Daddy does too though!

I like the trust the customer gives you by allowing you to put something permanently on their body. In a sense, my artwork comes to life and walks around to be seen by the world. It is not just hanging on a wall, in a room somewhere, collecting dust. Also, you can transform all mediums into a tattoo style. With tattooing, you develop a bond or friendship with your clients, something that you cannot experience with other styles of art.

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.vickdogmovie.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Old 09-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Sam 'Jarvis' Hinson

1-Describe yourself in 140 characters twitter style.

I'm an individual completely unique. A composite of everything and everyone that has touched my life.

I'm a product of my environment.

2-How long have you been tattooing?

5 yrs not knowing anything, and 2 yrs after my formal apprenticeship at All or Nothing Tattoo.

3-How long have you been with ALL OR NOTHING?

since the mid year of 2007

4-Where DID you live before coming to Atlanta?

I moved here from my home town in the snow-capped mountains of New Mexico.

5-How did you come to ALL OR NOTHING, tell us the story!?!

I was accepted for an apprenticeship here in 2007! I quit my job and sold everything, moved to Atlanta to pursue a career in tattooing. I moved here with no

where to live and no idea what was in store for me... there was no "plan B". I took the opportunity full steam ahead, sacrificing everything, and became a full

time artist at the studio.

6-What brought you to move to Atlanta to work at ALL OR NOTHING?

It was the reputation and the phenomenal work that this studio was producing. I saw what this place was doing and wanted it, wanted to learn it and wanted to execute it!

Then, in 2007, I was accepted for an apprenticeship and it went from there.

7-What is your favorite type of tattooing to do?

Well, being a young tattooer, I will do anything! Black and grey to traditional work, and everything in between. I feel an artist should be well rounded

and able to accomplish whatever style the client asks for. To me, it's all fun and enjoyable!

8-What machines do you use? How many do you set up for a substantial session?

I have a couple Martini machines, Axis Irons and a Joey D machine, also, I have some hand built machines from Argentina.

Depending on what I do, everything from just a liner and a shader, to a 4 machine set up.

9-What type of needles & groupings do you prefer? How did you come to

start using them?

I use everyting from a 3 liner to a 9 round liner, and a few tight groupings when called for (i.e. tight 5, tight 7). The liner I use most is a 5 round.

I like the line weight it produces and still can do fine detail work with this as well.

When it comes to a shader, well nothing less than a 9 mag, and on up to a 15 mag, but usually just a 9 mag, it does everything I need it to!

10-Is Brandon really a psychopath to work for?

NOT at all! He is very intense, but, he is one of the most caring people I know! I really enjoy working for him and his staff,

due to the amazing ability he has... for everything!

11-What has changed about your tattooing since you first walked in the

EVERYTHING! All of it; from my attitude to my work ...to the way I use the bathroom! Everything has changed for the better, and it

changes every day. When you're around amazing artists, you have no option but to grow and advance yourself. If you dont, then you get left behind. This place is an

ever changing world of art and love for what we do.

12-Everyone that comes arrives at different times, so the list of artists

any of that affect you and your art?

Of course, with no question, Brandon Bond. I've been around everyone here for 4 yrs now, from Sean Herman to Jace Masula to Short and Dave MF Tedder. Guest artists like Pumpkin Dave

from Poland to Shauncy Fury. I have been tattooed numerous times by Tony Mancia. Also, been tattooed by Vince Villalvazo, Short, Jace Masula, Matt Dunlap, Tim Orth, Shauncy Fury

and Bryan Reynolds. With all the major influences in my life and work, I'm fortunate to be able to have acquired all the amazing work from this studio! And more to come..some large, amazing

tattoos, to be done on me, by some more of the listed artists here! to be seen continued...

13-What other type of art do you produce? Paintings, video, flash, graphics etc?

I love acrylics and watercolors the most, and dibble- dabble in other aspects of paintings.

14-Are you tired of people talking to you about dogs?

Not really, but let it be known, I'm a cat person.

15-How has your LIFE been changed since coming?

It's completely changed for the better! I have become patient with my art and in my personal life. Everything this studio has offered me has been for the better.

16-Was there ever a time when you realized you had figured this out or

No, I feel this art will never be "figured" out. When one gets to the point where they think they know it all, they need to quit and go to work for McDonalds or some s&!t.

This art form always changes, and as an artist in this field, I need to change as well.

17-What kind of inks do you use?

I use Dynamic Black, Eternal and Alla Prima inks...I've found these to work best for my style of tattooing.

18-What is it like to work with so many artists from all over everyday?

It's awesome! I get to collaborate with artists from everywhere with different styles. I get to watch the progression of everyones'

art that gets fed from all parts of the country!

19-What types of tattoos would you LIKE to do, like if you could start

Black and Grey Realistic work

20-Tell me about your kids (if you've got any?)

I have a cat. He is my child, so, he is approx 10 months old and at 15 pounds! His name is Chapel, and I have to brush him twice a day,

and show him my FULL attention for at least an hour after I get home from work. He also likes to play fetch and bask in the sunlight, as it breaks through

the window in the early morning. And his nap time is between 3 pm and 6pm.

21-What do you love about tattooing the most?

I love everything about it and what its about! I get to show feeling and emotion through my art

on skin. What is there not to love!

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.vickdogmovie.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Tags
interviews, magazine, masters, tattoo