Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 04-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Recruit

Default Opinions on this guy's YouTube training videos...

Here's a link to his YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/TATTOOTRAINING?blend=2&ob=1

Now, this guy's artwork leaves a lot to be desired but from what I can tell he seems to quite knowledgeable on the technical side of things.

One video in particular that caught me eye is this one:
http://www.youtube.com/user/TATTOOTR.../5/w4TSUrAzMSo

In it he says he has found a source of a REALLY cheap Chinese machine that runs really well after the crappy springs and armature bar are replaced. Is he right?

I mean, if you can get a plain looking frame like the one in that video, some nice coils, good springs, etc and you know how to tune your own machine then is there really any reason to spend a few hundred $ on a machine when you could build it yourself for way, way cheaper?

Another video on his channel that interested me is this one regarding power supplies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYeK0EicmOw

He basically runs over all the unnecessary features (in his opinion) that are on the more expensive power supplies such as the LED displays, etc. Once again, says he has a PSU which works great for him which he got for about $50 I think.

So does this guy know his stuff? Or is he full or crap?

Oh, and this is obviously my first post, so hello everybody

Last edited by Paulie; 04-06-2010 at 01:08 PM..
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:11 PM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

Default Re: Opinions on this guy's YouTube traing videos...

the proof is in the pudding(his work). if you cant tattoo then dont try to tell people how

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingtom View Post
if you cant tattoo then dont try to tell people how
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2466324617297#
Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 AM
Recruit

Yeh, his artwork is dogs&!t. But the video of the cast aluminum machine that he got for 12$ interested me. I mean, if it's a good frame with good geometry it seems like an absolute bargain.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Recruit

i myself have only been doing skin for a year. I am a business man, do alot of work on Ebay. I first started getting in to it by supplying a local shop or 2 with quality ink(starbright, mom's, prizm, intenze, sumi, etc.). Then I was asked about machines. There are plenty of sellers out there that have proffesional grade machines, for anywhere between 20 and 100$. some of the most repeat sales were that of the 20-60$ range. There is one seller in particular who sells a whole line of brass and chrome dragons, skulls, skelatins, coffin's etc. They are a big seller at the shops around town. My markup on the machines is less then the needles/tips/and ink, and my reason is I tell them it is pr setup foreither lining or shading and has been ran as a demo, so the life of the coils is not guearanteed, but I also have a supplier that sells quality coils for dirt cheap. I usually am asked to either buy a whole new gun, or replacement coils for those machines after 3-9 months. you do the math. if you can get a machine, average joe would pay 2 hundren dollars for, for 75 bucks, and 9 months later pay 20 for coils that would last as far as I know atleast a year, you got yourself a deal. If youwant specific links, I can post, I get enough business I am not afraid to loose any. My shops know I get good deals, that they themselves can go get on there own, but the fact is, when you need a new gun/coil/whtever, you need it NOW if you know what I mean. . . .
Old 04-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Platoon Sargent

The fact that you still call them guns tells me what kind of shops youre supplying.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Recruit

Actually, I started out by saying they inquired about machines. then I went to go on using short term(mine, not theirs) of guns. Believe what you want, but one of the shops I supply have one guy in particular who is allways in some tattoo magazne, and is always going to conventions and doing large pieces at them. He is well known for b&G, yet he mixes his own. He says he trusts his mix over any products out the sumi, silverb, etc. Others are happy with buying the premix, but not him. I will not say any names. Besides, critisize if you want, fact is its nothing even the ones who choose to buy the coils and bars, and such all seperate, can still make their own for way under what most dealers/ magazines sell em for.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Field Marshal

if you have an understanding of machines, you can make it work. even cheap chinese knockoff crap thats 20 bucks on ebay. how long they will hold a tune....how long before they heat up, if their voltage will stay consistient, that is the question. so really, both of you guys are right in my opinion.

i always think back to the time i got tattooed at AON by Josh Carlton when he was there...and I was asking him about the secret to machines and he pulled out one of those free CAM tattoo machines that you get when you spend X amount of money, and tattooed my leg with it. It was the single most important lesson I had in tattooing regarding tattoo machine mystery, and the tattoo still looks amaaaaazing.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Recruit

Here's a link to the machine that the guy in the youtube videos mentions:

http://www.getbetterlife.com/Profess...rip_p1578.html

Now, from what I can tell, the geometry of the frame looks good and it's a single piece of cast metal. With a good A Bar and springs and a possible change out of the coils, I don't see why it wouldn't work really well.

In fact, apart from the fact that the guy isn't a very good artist, he seems to know his stuff and I'm happy to take on information like that especially if it saves me some money.

I mean, can any of the pros here point out anything he says in the videos as wrong?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
Here's a link to the machine that the guy in the youtube videos mentions:

http://www.getbetterlife.com/Profess...rip_p1578.html

Now, from what I can tell, the geometry of the frame looks good and it's a single piece of cast metal. With a good A Bar and springs and a possible change out of the coils, I don't see why it wouldn't work really well.

In fact, apart from the fact that the guy isn't a very good artist, he seems to know his stuff and I'm happy to take on information like that especially if it saves me some money.

I mean, can any of the pros here point out anything he says in the videos as wrong?
thats all a tattoo machine is: abar, springs, coils and frame. there isnt a secret wizards touch that make them work together. the springs could be thin cheap metal, but 20 cents and thats fixed. if the frame geometry is on, (even if its not most times a dremel can fix that) its just the sum of its components.

good quality tattooing usually starts at the drawing table.

tattoo history presents itself when looking at a mike malone rollomatic. where did that come from? where did the paul rogers mad bee come from? most of the machine frame styles are based on spauldings and the like.

take a look around http://www.tattooarchive.com/tattoo_history.htm

Tags
guy, opinions, traing, videos, youtube