Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 11-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Private

Default the creative process...

Okay, so I'm spending quite a bit of time rooting through the photos on the artists pages, and I'm seeing some just amazing work.

Knowing that on each patch of skin, I'm only going to get one shot at getting this right; so I want to the work that gets placed on me to be nothing short of amazing.

How are some of you going through this process with the All or Nothing artists? Are you going in with an idea in mind, and turning it over let the artist do his thing? I for one, would love this approach.

For a few reasons, I cannot get full sleeves, so I have to use the real estate available to the max. I'd love to provide the concept, maybe a few images, and turn the artist loose. Is that a reasonable expectation with All or Nothing?

Last edited by chokeu2; 11-07-2010 at 11:03 PM..
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Private

Default Re: the creative process...

My battery tanked before I could finish that last post.

I guess the point is, that I do not want to walk around and have someone see my work, and it look like someone got attacked by a couple of scratchers, with stuff just thrown in with no sense of any artistic approach.

I just hit 40. I've plenty of life experience that I want to memorialize. Life, and business has delayed getting started on my work; but probably a good thing, because it'll only add to the work that I want done. My starting points being service as an Army Infantryman, nearly 30 years of martial arts training, and a proud father and husband.

So, to those of you that have technical, and complex pieces, I'd love to know some of your experiences with the artists of All or Nothing. How did you approach your piece? How did you commit to work with an artist? Did the artist choose you?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Corporal

First don't worry about age, I started at AON at 48. I now have a half sleeve and am nearly through with a full back.

You will be happy with anything you get at AON, but don't just go in and choose whatever artist is available. Each artist really has a style they prefer and it shows. Review each artist's work and make your choice.

Have an idea of what you want but don't be head bent on every little detail. The more creative license you allow the better result you'll get.

So you seem to be on the right track. I was torn between two artist for several months. Finally made my choice and just went for a visit to the shop. I waited for a bit and then met with Tony. I had a rough drawing of what I wanted. We discussed it and I booked my appointments. When I went for my first session we spent an hour or so talking ideas again before he even started prepping me. After 3 sessions we finished and I was so happy we started talking about my back.

He did some very different work. Some predominately smooth shading and some very textured. I really hadn't planned on a whole back but then got to thinking about a colab with Jace. Jace and Tony talked and agreed on doing it and the concept.

I go back Wed. for an all day session and hope we can finish. You can see the work minus the last session on the testimonials page. It is basically an Adam and Eve 21st century thing. There is now a serpent on the bottom right and they'll add a Cherub on the bottom left as well as a few other details.

My next work will be an auto-biography type work. I've been contemplating a whole shop piece with all the artist contributing. The only specifics will be that it include my time in the army, as a cop and a cardiac surgery nurse. For me it is tough to see how to tie them together but one of the artist will have the idea.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:36 PM
MakingInsanityFunSince'83
Field Marshal

I went in with an idea and Dave is turning it into something more amazing than I could have ever imagined.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Corporal

Well I recently got my first tattoo at AON. I stopped in to view the shop and meet the artists and to see how whole process worked. I introduced myself to an artist that had recently done a coworkers first tattoo. I liked what he had to say and his enthusiasm. I had an idea of what I wanted and discussed it with him during the visit and via future email. After getting a few more ideas together, I went back to discuss size and placement etc. This is when I told him basically what I wanted and let his artistic ability come up with some area that I wasn't sure about. Finally we scheduled my first ink appt. Between the two of us, we came up with what I feel is an outstanding outcome. I approached my piece with an open mind to artistic ability, but kept in mind that it has to be something I will love and be proud of for life. I committed to an artist by meeting them a couple of times ahead of getting tattooed. I think any artist at AON will be able to do work that you will be happy for life. I think you should come up with a general idea, discuss it with them, get there input, digest it, use both of your brains and artistic abilities and let the magic happen. Good luck! You will be in the best spot there is for a tattoo. After all, you want AON. It's for life!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Private

Thanks for the responses guys!

Being happy with the work done at AoN is without question for sure!

RoadHog, I love the Adam and Even in the 21st century concept! That is fantastic, I will definitely check that out on the testimonials page. In fact, I think that I'll use that page to take further looks into the artists.

I sent an email to Jason on Sunday or Monday, and am looking forward to hearing back from him. I really like his use of color and his style.

However, it seems like a smart idea to come into the shop and meet the guys. I wasn't sure if that was an option, but considering this is something that is obviously lifelong; it is a logical thing to do. And because I want to provide a few key concepts, and then rely upon the artist for the rest. I want an artist that has the stones to take his license. I want the work that I get done to be pieces of art, and that is why I want the artists of AoN to do the work.

My family collects art, so do have an opinion on art, and artists. The staff at AoN absolutely fit that bill.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Private

Buffer, Thrash: Are your pieces up in the testimonials page?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Corporal

Mine aren't yet. Just got finished yesterday. Had four sessions followed by the final touchup yesterday. Hope to get some pics posted soon.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Corporal

chokeu2, judging by your chosen name you like choking people out haha! I'm into mma and combatives and of course i love the ufc and i'm also in the infantry...i'm a captain at the career course right now and i'll be attending ranger school in april after the course.

well i can say you chose the right place to get a tattoo...and yes letting the artist have freedom to do his thing is the best way to go. you come up with the idea and then narrow down what artist style best suits what you want. keep in mind most of these guys can do any style...i chose short to do a portrait of my wife on my inner arm and i am amazed at what he did. I gave him an image of my wife obviously and then told him i wanted a fortune cookie incorporated...after that i let him go to work. check this out if you haven't yet. http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/fo...ead.php?t=5847

i am getting a black and grey shogun mask from jason and i have an appointment with tony for a black and grey half sleeve. i'm letting both artists have a ton of freedom to do what they want...you'll get a much better tattoo this way. we shlubs dont think artistically like these guys do. they are true artists...its not just something they trace and slap on you like other tattoo shops. these guys are for real and all of them can be trusted...every artist works hard to do the best tattoo possible. they push each other and learn from the best so everyday they continue to shock us by coming up with new insane sh*t that blows the mind!

you are in good hands my friend...

why is the sky blue? because God loves the infantry!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 PM
MakingInsanityFunSince'83
Field Marshal

Mine is still in progress, but the pics are posted in the AoN Tattoos thread in General.
http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/fo...ead.php?t=5979

Tags
creative, process