Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Private

Default Re: TLC to launch "Tattoo School" on July 16!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
A client sits in your chair, at your mercy, be worthy of the trust the person puts in you... Take it as seriously as you would if you were going to tattoo your own child....

Tattooing is a lifestyle not a job..... Seek out a true artist, look at their journey and their dedication to the craft... Hobbyist artists and those who leave it at work when they leave the doors are not true artists in the craft.... Tattoo schools try to turn it into a hobby, or some sort of fun "job" which is not the reality of true tattoo culture... Don't turn it into mcdonalds or walmart please....

Well Put.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:05 PM
MakingInsanityFunSince'83
Field Marshal

This isn't the first tattoo school that has been started. Just the first to get its own f@#king television show. Has to be the most disgusting reality show I have ever heard of.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Recruit

Hello Everyone this is France just wanted to share some info on the Boycott Tattoo School Cause, I started a petition, fan page and event which are now featured in several magazines, blogs and press announcements. Please help get the word out and let me know if you want to help? Nicole I would like to get Brandon involved please let him know.
Sign Petition www.ipetitions.com/petition/boycotttattooschool
Fan Page www.facebook.com/BoycottTattooSchool
Event www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=170440256357168
Old 07-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Recruit

Nicole how are you? I've been working hard on Boycott Tattoo School have a petition, fan page and getting press backing I would love you talk to Brandon about getting involved please let him know. Here are some links
Old 07-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Recruit

Thumbs down Re: TLC to launch "Tattoo School" on July 16!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaGirl View Post
I signed up for this forum, specifically to post on this message. I am actually looking forward to this show. Everyone is getting all mad, but this will give us tattoo getters an insight into how tattoos work.
First of all let me address BellaGirls comment because all you tattoo "getters" should have a front row seat every time you are getting work done. If you want to see a "behind the scenes" look at how people become a tattoo artist, then this show is complete fantasy. Not only that but it is completely irresponsible. I have been through the brutal apprenticeship process, have 12+ years experience tattooing and have passed my knowledge of the art down to my apprentices as well.
This is all i have to say......Even if these students were hand picked art prodigy's and had it in them to be the next Bob tyrrell, It doesn't change the fact that it takes longer then 2 weeks to learn sterilization, cross-contamination and general shop cleanliness. That is about 1/3 of a 12-18 month apprenticeship. I wouldn't let them work at my shop regardless of their skill level without a minimum of 3 months experience cleaning and sterilizing. period
Old 07-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Recruit

Thumbs down Re: TLC to launch "Tattoo School" on July 16!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatdude View Post
Nicole how are you? I've been working hard on Boycott Tattoo School have a petition, fan page and getting press backing I would love you talk to Brandon about getting involved please let him know. Here are some links
Tatdude.....I'll do anything in my power to support this boycott.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Recruit

http://serenityinked.weebly.com/photo-gallery-1.html# Just 1 of the fine masterpieces that the instructers from Tattoo School have to offer......classic
Old 07-11-2011, 10:34 PM
^This Guy^
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
I think that apprenticeship is until..... Until the Artist you train under determines you are ready to move out of apprenticeship and into Artist status.... And in all honesty its a constant learning process, but the basics take a heck of a lot longer than 2 weeks to learn.... There is a reason you ask the master to take you as an apprentice, you respect their opinion.... And that is part of the problem with these schools, if they are pumping out tons of under educated people and telling them all that they are ready to be an artist you should question their judgment.... That's the other problem with paying for your "apprenticeship" now you are comforted and coddled into believing your crappy work is fantastic... Of course they are going to tell you that your work is good, they want your 4800.00...

I mean come on this is permanent marking on another persons body, that is a lot of responsibility.... Then there are the health ramifications... If you have the potential to pass on incurable bloodborne pathogens at least make sure you are well trained in how to diminish the risk to the best of your ability...

I would not hire someone with 2 weeks of training to rewire something in my house, why in the world would I allow someone with 2 weeks of training mess around with my blood, and permanently mark up my skin.... If I am going to pay someone to do this kind of thing I want someone with ample experience....

You are training to become a Tattoo Artist not a fry cook, expect to put in the time necessary to become a true Tattoo Artist.... If you can't be bothered to do the time and work necessary I don't want you near my skin.... If that takes 2 to 3 years then put in the 2 to 3 years.... A client sits in your chair, at your mercy, be worthy of the trust the person puts in you... Take it as seriously as you would if you were going to tattoo your own child....

Tattooing is a lifestyle not a job..... Seek out a true artist, look at their journey and their dedication to the craft... Hobbyist artists and those who leave it at work when they leave the doors are not true artists in the craft.... Tattoo schools try to turn it into a hobby, or some sort of fun "job" which is not the reality of true tattoo culture... Don't turn it into mcdonalds or walmart please....
Very well said.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Private

http://youtu.be/bkM5cEGWzso Video of a tattooist pissed about the TLC Show. Hilarious and true.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Field Marshal

that TLC is re-god damn tarded..... tattooing is def a way of life not a job...... im not an artist but a client who has seen the struggle of apprentices and the defining moments of a career. if anyone thinks they can learn a skill/talent in 2 weeks needs to be hung by their genitals. i do not want a tattoo from any of those people on that show or from that "school". and if anyone reading this has thought about getting tattood in a kitchen or a living room from "a guy" with no apprenticeship or serious training from a real artist you too need to be hung from your genitals. the strugle is what makes it all worth it in the end, no matter what you are doing.... tattooing or cooking lobsters.... its a way of life fo sure...

Tags
july, launch, tattoo school, tlc