Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Private

Default Your ideas and input please.

I may be about to start a forum brawl. But im gonna shoot anyway...

My name is John, I am a combat medic in the Army. I have been in for 5 years. I have deployed 2 times to Iraq and Afghanistan. Recently I have been stationed in a hospital to further my education while running an Emergency Room. I hold special skill identifiers in trauma, dermatology, allergy and immunology. (I understand the skin more than most, "medically") also within all my medical knowledge I am VERY skilled and educated on the topics of sterilization and everything in between. I have been drawing since i was 5.... Im 26 now.Drawing on paper in any media is nothing new to me.

Soooooooo

Apprenticeships? I have been to a few shops. I was offered an apprenticeshop by each shop I visited. However the apprenticeships are to learn the way someone else tattoos. Art is art because its so diverse. If everyone made a red square the same way it would be boring. We will always have critics but thats what makes it so great.

By tattooing out of my VERY immaculate, clean studio in my house. using super above par sterilization procedures I have learned that I DO NOT want to tattoo for a living. I like tattooing as a hobby, when I feel like it. For no money at all except for price of supplies and tips. I have been told by tattoo shops that I was gifted for self taught. I even had an owner ask me to go AWOL to come tattoo with him. (jokingly) but to this day holds an offer to me when I get out of the military.

With that said what should I do? I cannot offer the time it takes to properly apprentice. Not cause i dont want to but because I cannot give that kind of time while in the military. Also I have a wife and 4 children. But i love to tattoo when I can. I will always be frowned upon and labeled as a "scratcher" but ALL who get a tattoo done by me know 100% that I am self taught and by know means a proffesional. They usually respond with a "oh thats cool, "you can practice on me" We have all heard this im sure from close friends who dont want to pay. What path do you think I should take. given the fact I still need to develop as an artist but does not want to do this for a proffesion or the rest of my life.

Thanks for all your response. sorry for any mis-spellings if any.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Private

Default Re: Your ideas and input please.

"Cricket,, Cricket"......... There is currently 365 people viewing this particular forum and not one response yet. hmmmmmm
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Platoon Sargent

Its about tradition, and if an artist happens to be blessed with the talent to creat clean and well designed tattoos on people so be it.....its the "people" without any artistic ability at all let alone draw, but they feel they have the right to call themselves artists because they're tattooing people and the work absolutely sucks and that person doesn't need to be tattooing........To me there are many positive benefits especially in the equipment available to "pro" tattooists, that right there is enough for me to to it the traditional way, because the best tools available are far superior than the trash on ebay and other "tattoo supply" websites....do what you want, your work doesn't seem to jacked....
Old 03-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Platoon Sargent

overall get an apprenticeship when you can bro, but thats just my opinion, especially if the studios are putting out great work....notice I said great..
Old 03-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Jaded Gypsy Tattoo
Corporal

this is not a hobby. if you've already figured out that this is not what you want to be doing as a career, out of respect for those of us who do, step aside and make room for somebody who does want it that badly.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrayBono View Post
this is not a hobby. if you've already figured out that this is not what you want to be doing as a career, out of respect for those of us who do, step aside and make room for somebody who does want it that badly.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Private

Ok, understandable.... But according to the U.N population division there is on average 490,000 births everyday.... So in 18 years thats potentially 490,000 sets of canvas you guys can have your way with.

I play hockey. I dont play pro. I DONT WANT TO PLAY PRO......BUT, I am not going to stop playing on account of all the pros and little kids that want to someday play pro. I like playing hockey because it make me feel good and its a challenge. I dont claim do be the greatest but i understand what I need to know to do the basics....

I tattoo. I dont tattoo pro. I DONT WANT TO TATTOO PRO......BUT, I am not going to stop tattooing on account of all the pros and little kids that want to someday tattoo pro. I like tattooing because it make me feel good and its a challenge. I dont claim do be the greatest, I dont advertise, but i understand what I need to know to do the basics....

When I get someone that wants an elaborate piece I am not comfortable with I always refer them to trained proffesionals. Usually the guys that do mine. You should not be worried about me or ask me to step aside. That only means your a tattoo artist by default not cause your true skill. If you are a great tattoo artist clearly money will talk and bull s&!t will walk.

Dont think for one minute I just picked up a machine and was able to create miraculous pieces of work. I have been drawing for a very VERY long time. And my work is not just average. My art is very developed (on paper) but according to many who have seen the tattoos I have done i.e. PROS, they tend to make the exception to policy on the scratcher subject.

Last edited by AcombativePYRO; 03-29-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Old 03-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Platoon Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrayBono View Post
^THIS!!!!!....no other way to take it either go in or get out...

edited: to ALOT of other aspiring tattooist and professionals, we live this and want to live this, it's a lifestyle not just something you do or something you put on for a couple hours, and then be done with it, to say you understand the tradition and all, and follow that with Im gonna do what I want anyway where other artists and pro tattooist come share their lifestyles with eachother, is a sure smack in the face to the ones that take it seriously and live this everyday, and though you may be one of the very few to just jump on the machine and start putting together pretty good tattoos, doesn't mean you can keep doing what your doing with no plans of embracing this lifestyle completely, and expect to receive some kind of respect for that........I believe it won't happen......

Last edited by Frek; 03-29-2011 at 04:17 PM..
Old 03-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Private

Ok i am sorry, mis phrased it. I dont want to be pro "now"...that takes an apprenticeship....Due to the military, I am always on standby and tommorow is never promised. Yet i dont want to put everything away and "step aside" Trust me I would love to eat sleep and breathe tattoo but i physically cannot at this time. I am more asking your ideas and inputs on this concept. Is there an "at your own pace" apprenticeship so I am ready when i get out of the military? Sorry for the dis respect.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Jaded Gypsy Tattoo
Corporal

you playing amateur hockey does not take bread off of a pro hockey player's table. this last winter for example with the economy the way it is was pretty f@#kin rough for a lot of us. i wont name names but talking to a 'dvd publishing' artist in a nationally known shop, who gets mentioned here a lot (not brandon)... there were a couple of months his shop didn't break even. would you undercut his prices and siphon his client base, possibly causing him to close up shop just to selfishly indulge a hobby??

not all of us are famous, but all of us are bound by the same dedication...and sometimes due to whatever circumstances...sometimes we hang on by the same thin thread to do what we love.

you want an apprenticeship 'at you own pace?' here it is...custom tailored for your circumstances...

until you're out of the military, STOP TATTOOING. draw. paint. draw and paint. draw and paint draw and paint. drawandpaintdrawandpaintdrawandpaint. everyday. until you're out. then go to a shop and get an apprenticeship.

Tags
ideas, input