View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Default Re: Tattoo Masters Magazine interviews All or Nothing Tattoo

Sam 'Jarvis' Hinson

1-Describe yourself in 140 characters twitter style.

I'm an individual completely unique. A composite of everything and everyone that has touched my life.

I'm a product of my environment.

2-How long have you been tattooing?

5 yrs not knowing anything, and 2 yrs after my formal apprenticeship at All or Nothing Tattoo.

3-How long have you been with ALL OR NOTHING?

since the mid year of 2007

4-Where DID you live before coming to Atlanta?

I moved here from my home town in the snow-capped mountains of New Mexico.

5-How did you come to ALL OR NOTHING, tell us the story!?!

I was accepted for an apprenticeship here in 2007! I quit my job and sold everything, moved to Atlanta to pursue a career in tattooing. I moved here with no

where to live and no idea what was in store for me... there was no "plan B". I took the opportunity full steam ahead, sacrificing everything, and became a full

time artist at the studio.

6-What brought you to move to Atlanta to work at ALL OR NOTHING?

It was the reputation and the phenomenal work that this studio was producing. I saw what this place was doing and wanted it, wanted to learn it and wanted to execute it!

Then, in 2007, I was accepted for an apprenticeship and it went from there.

7-What is your favorite type of tattooing to do?

Well, being a young tattooer, I will do anything! Black and grey to traditional work, and everything in between. I feel an artist should be well rounded

and able to accomplish whatever style the client asks for. To me, it's all fun and enjoyable!

8-What machines do you use? How many do you set up for a substantial session?

I have a couple Martini machines, Axis Irons and a Joey D machine, also, I have some hand built machines from Argentina.

Depending on what I do, everything from just a liner and a shader, to a 4 machine set up.

9-What type of needles & groupings do you prefer? How did you come to

start using them?

I use everyting from a 3 liner to a 9 round liner, and a few tight groupings when called for (i.e. tight 5, tight 7). The liner I use most is a 5 round.

I like the line weight it produces and still can do fine detail work with this as well.

When it comes to a shader, well nothing less than a 9 mag, and on up to a 15 mag, but usually just a 9 mag, it does everything I need it to!

10-Is Brandon really a psychopath to work for?

NOT at all! He is very intense, but, he is one of the most caring people I know! I really enjoy working for him and his staff,

due to the amazing ability he has... for everything!

11-What has changed about your tattooing since you first walked in the

front door of ALL OR NOTHING?

EVERYTHING! All of it; from my attitude to my work ...to the way I use the bathroom! Everything has changed for the better, and it

changes every day. When you're around amazing artists, you have no option but to grow and advance yourself. If you dont, then you get left behind. This place is an

ever changing world of art and love for what we do.

12-Everyone that comes arrives at different times, so the list of artists

is always in flux. Who have YOU worked with, gotten tattooed by, met

or gotten to watch work since coming to ALL OR NOTHING? And how did

any of that affect you and your art?

Of course, with no question, Brandon Bond. I've been around everyone here for 4 yrs now, from Sean Herman to Jace Masula to Short and Dave MF Tedder. Guest artists like Pumpkin Dave

from Poland to Shauncy Fury. I have been tattooed numerous times by Tony Mancia. Also, been tattooed by Vince Villalvazo, Short, Jace Masula, Matt Dunlap, Tim Orth, Shauncy Fury

and Bryan Reynolds. With all the major influences in my life and work, I'm fortunate to be able to have acquired all the amazing work from this studio! And more to come..some large, amazing

tattoos, to be done on me, by some more of the listed artists here! to be seen continued...

13-What other type of art do you produce? Paintings, video, flash, graphics etc?

I love acrylics and watercolors the most, and dibble- dabble in other aspects of paintings.

14-Are you tired of people talking to you about dogs?

Not really, but let it be known, I'm a cat person.

15-How has your LIFE been changed since coming?

It's completely changed for the better! I have become patient with my art and in my personal life. Everything this studio has offered me has been for the better.

16-Was there ever a time when you realized you had figured this out or

had an "art epiphany" about your own growth as a tattooer?

No, I feel this art will never be "figured" out. When one gets to the point where they think they know it all, they need to quit and go to work for McDonalds or some s&!t.

This art form always changes, and as an artist in this field, I need to change as well.

17-What kind of inks do you use?

I use Dynamic Black, Eternal and Alla Prima inks...I've found these to work best for my style of tattooing.

18-What is it like to work with so many artists from all over everyday?

It's awesome! I get to collaborate with artists from everywhere with different styles. I get to watch the progression of everyones'

art that gets fed from all parts of the country!

19-What types of tattoos would you LIKE to do, like if you could start

doing any specific style a lot, what would it be?

Black and Grey Realistic work

20-Tell me about your kids (if you've got any?)

I have a cat. He is my child, so, he is approx 10 months old and at 15 pounds! His name is Chapel, and I have to brush him twice a day,

and show him my FULL attention for at least an hour after I get home from work. He also likes to play fetch and bask in the sunlight, as it breaks through

the window in the early morning. And his nap time is between 3 pm and 6pm.

21-What do you love about tattooing the most?

I love everything about it and what its about! I get to show feeling and emotion through my art

on skin. What is there not to love!

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.allornothingtattoo.com
www.vickdogmovie.com
www.strangleholdmerch.com
www.atlantapitbullrescue.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote