Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 09-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Private

Default Re: An open brief - or a customer who doesn't know what they want?

This is something i have ran into doing commish peices, customer comes in after being told by a tattoo artist that there is no way in hell they are going to do freelance on their bodies, and to come back when they have an idea.

So they come to me and get ideas, and probably a design. Which is fine with me, if you can take a few minutes and ask some questions, chances are they will blown away with whatever peice you come up with.

I ask them, Favorite Movie?
Why?
A person favorite movie tells you ALOT about what type of person they are. If they answer, "Boondock Saints" i think "vigilante, guns, outlaws, underdog, heroes" if they answer "Where The Heart is" I think, "sentimental, romantical, gushy lovey dovey blah blah blah..." If they Answer something like Aleins Vs. Predetor" then it's pretty obvious i need to dig deeper, unless they WANT a bunch of Aliens and Predators, which is always fun to draw haha.

Favorite Animal-
There is so much symbolized is animals, you could write a book. In fact many people have. A person favorite animal tells volumes about their personality.

Favorite Book or Author?
big Stephen King fan? Big Douglas Adams fan? the different generes offer up billions of possibilities.

It takes about five minutes to ask, another 20 minutes to sketch and go over about, another 20 to make changes, but if your art and your reputation are good, they will pay you for your time. I generally charge half up front, and after 3 satisfied customers it has never been a problem, as the clients numbers countinue to increase.

So do not despair, there is a solution, and if they STILL can't make up their minds, send them away, they aren't ready for you yet.

Last edited by kaliburstudios; 01-18-2009 at 10:12 AM..
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Private

good ideas about the film question, will try that one. ta !
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendykustom View Post
OK here's an isssue I struggle with on an almost daily basis. A client comes in, wants a sleeve (backpiece, whatever). They normally know whether they want colour or black and grey. And thats where it ends. This is how it goes:

Client: "Oh, ya know, no colour, all shady-like, ya know".

Me: "Yes, ok, you want a black and grey sleeve, cool. What do you want it to be?"

Cl: "Oh ya know, shading n stuff".

Me: "I understand you want shading and black and grey, but what do you want the tattoo to be about? The subject matter"

Cl: "Oh, ya know"

Me: "No I don't, its not my arm, you have to tell me"

Cl: "What do you think will look good?"

See now, at this point I am starting to think "here we go again". I know the guy wants a black and grey sleeve and the reason he can't describe what he wants it because he wants one like David Beckham, the soccer player, and from a distance you can't tell what his is.

Part of me thinks "I'm damned if I'm gonna make this guys decision for him and I sure don't have the time do his research for him", so normally I offer them a load of options of all the different styles send them away to have a think and come back once they've formulated in their own head what they want. They may or may not come back, thats the problem, cos I'm asking them to do some work when the guy down the road will give it the "yeah, come in, sit down, give me your money...." routine. He'll be perceived to be more "helpful".

The other part of me (usually after they've gone) thinks "Cr*p, did I just miss an opportunity to do what I WANT, for a change? If I could have done an ace sleeve of really cool stuff, he probably would have loved it". Or would he? I am just putting my needs above his and being arrogant then? Or am I being a fool in missing the opportunity?

Its a dilema - what thinks you guys?
I'm not a tattooer, but if someone came to me with little to no idea of what they wanted, I'd send them away until they figured it out. You don't want to be half way through a sleeve before the customer turns around and says that they hate it!

Beckham's work is by Louis Molloy, so if the guy comes back you could check out Louis' work online - www.tattoos.co.uk and then try to figure something out with the customer?

I see what other people are saying about visiting an artist with no set idea of what they want, but are happy to let the tattooer do their thing because they have a particular style - but in this case it sounds like the customer hasn't visited you because of your repuation? Definately, send him packing to think about it!
Old 09-22-2008, 12:27 PM
LBT

If they want me to do whatever and give me little direction then this is what I prefer however if they arent sure but dont want me to create then I send them in the waiting room to browse magazines and books so they can get a solid direction for me to go on....I know its frustrating as hell when they do this but this system has been working well for me!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Private

if they just want anything im sure you have great anything art you can throw at them.keep em happy interested and in your shop. and if it doesnt work then? pull your cock out! i mean i mean ... well you know lol
Old 09-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Field Marshal

this is the absolute BEST opportunity to do some incredible art possible.

instead of seeing it as a frustrating and limiting obstacle you should look at it as an opportunity to explore your art and push YOUR limits - again it seems that you have not watched the seminar dvds, as we discuss in length this concept and how to get clients to let you do whatever you want, in thisparticular case they are handing you FREE ARTISTIC EXPLORATION!

hurray!
Old 09-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Private

You're right - I have not watched them and I am gonna order them as soon as I can afford to - I'm in the midst of moving our studio so I'm haemorraghing money like you wouldn't believe (actually, you probably would, some of you guys have been there and done it!)

It will be next on my list as the feedback is excellent and I need someone to help pull my head out of the routine so I get some fresh inspiration.

7 years in the same studio, so its a new shop, more space, new start!!

To quote a certain song...... "I'm just looking for a way to set the world on fire....."

Thanks guys for all the help - its all taken on board.

Wx
Old 09-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Field Marshal

right on!

and yeah I totally understand we are building a new studio and finishing a film simultaneously

we are also hemoraging money.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Field Marshal

i like to tell every customer, "the more freedom you give me with the design the better tattoo you get. it's always better to let the artist do what they are into." when the artist isn't really into a peice, the job just kinda gets done without passion. if i'm into it, i'll go above and beyond, because i'm having fun. and that's what we should be doing, having fun and paying the bills at the same time.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:48 AM
Private

I don't think I ever saw my tattoo artist as happy as when she was working on my koi fish. I knew what I wanted, but I also asked her her opinion on colour, placement etc and even got her to draw it up for me.

I usually like to have an idea of what I want, whilst giving the artist some freedom.

Tags
customer, open