Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 07-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Weaksauce
Corporal

Default How do you protect yer' Tattoo?

I'm assuming common sense should answer this question. But what do you guys do to protect the color of your tattoo over time? Sunscreen to protect it from the sun. But what about a pool? Does pool chemicals affect a tattoo more than exposure to sun. If it's a matter of the chemicals reacting with the ink in your skin. Can you use those spray on bandages to protect it?

Something like this?

An what do you do if you fall in a vat of toxic chemicals like the Joker? Do you climb out and wipe it off really fast?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Field Marshal

Default Re: How do you protect yer' Tattoo?

wipe it really fast hahahahaaaa

pools do not affect it bro - unless its a pool of acid????
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Platoon Sargent

There are two major enemies of tattoos, aside from any trauma directly caused to the skin the tattoo is on.

1) UV. The sun and UV rays will fade a tattoo just like they fade clothing, printed materials, paint, etc... If you want your colors to stay vibrant you MUST never expose the tattoo to the sun unprotected. I put SPF55 on every morning when I am getting ready, on all inked areas that have even the slightest chance of seeing the sun. If I know I will be in the sun, I use SPF75 and apply often.

2) Time. As the cells in your skin die and are replaced, your tatoo will blur. Blurring is a natural migration of the pigment from its original location, as the cells die and get replaced. There is really nothing you can do about blur, except to start with a well done tattoo. Great artists like the guys at AON know how to do linework and coloring/shading that will hold up over time and look great for years to come.

You can definitely do something about #1...but no one has yet come up with a solution for #2.

http://www.inkednation.com/parabellum9x19
Old 07-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Private

SPF 75? The most I could find was SPF 50. Where do you get that 75 stuff, and what company makes it?
Old 07-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Platoon Sargent

LOL...Walmart had it in their seasonal summer display, amongst like 100 other kinds of sunscreen.

My father has been bald for years and years...he has SPF120, but its prescription only.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Field Marshal

wow 120 huh??? thats like clothing!
Old 07-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Platoon Sargent

Yeah, I call it 'shade in a bottle'.

Tags
protect, tattoo, yer