Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Platoon Sargent

Default preview of my underspray.com interview

here's a preview of an interview i did for underspray.com

How did you get into art?
I grew up as an only child. My parents split when I was young, and I took care of my mom growing up. Art was really the onlly outlet I had. We didn't have much, so I would draw with whatever I could find on whatever I could find. Alot of butcher paper and bic pens were used in the process. Drawing was the only way I could release all the feelings that i had inside about what was going on in my life. Throughout life it became more of an outlet, and less of me trying to produce products. Because of that, I never had any formal art training. I went to college for completely different things (theology, theatre) and ended up an artist in the end. It's really all I know and all I love.

How do you get inspiration for the pieces you produce?
Emotion is my number one inspiration but, I also love the horror genre. What I love about it is the direct reflection of real life that it has. Throughout history, society's fears and hopes can be found in the horror genre. So with that, horror is my inspiration. Guillermo del Toro is my number influence in that respect. The pictures and images he paints in his movies are so beautiful, yet graphic. His art is so beautiful, strong, and emotional. You can't help but feel something when you watch his movies. I also find inspiration in what is around me. Emotion is what I want to convey in my work, and I what i want to make people feel when they see my work. Emotion is all around, so I constantly find inspiration in that. Whether it be good or bad, feeling emotion is what reminds us all we are alive.

Last CD you bought/downloaded/shoplifted?
I brought three. Lucero, "Rebel's, Rogues, and Sworn Enemy's". Against Me, "New Wave". And Zao, "The Fear is What Keeps Us Here" Music is a huge part of my art. I am constantly listening to music while I tattoo. Everyone actually makes fun of me because I rock out the entire time I'm tattooing. Music fuels the fire that inspiration sparks.

How did you feel when you realised that art could make money?
It was really awesome. I had before done all sorts of jobs, from working in restaurants, to pest control, to anything you can imagine. So to be able to do something I love and am passionate about, and make a living from it is amazing to me. I was at a point in my life, before I started tattooing, where I didn't have any money, and didn't really need it. The problem with that was that I couldn't grow outside of certain situations. Tattooing gave me the opportunity to focus on art and not survival. Now I can travel, see the artists I look up to and love, and find myself as an artist. So yeah, the day I realized I could make a living from this, I was pretty damn excited, probably one of the best days of my life.

What's the attraction of tattoos?
Honestly, I think most people's general attraction at first is the idea of impressing someone. Guys start get tattooed to get chicks, and girl's want to look "hot", but I think it grows in some people to become something else. There is that small group of people that start to see the connection that tattooing does. With tattooing you are permanently changing a part of your body to create something new. One can mark the progression and growth through one's life with the tattoos they have received. Tattoos that once meant one thing, can mean another later, and yet another later on. In this process, tattoo's are marking your progression and growth in your life, and reminding you where you came from and where you want to go.

What make you happy?
Traveling and creating. I love creating a piece of art on a client that they feel they connect with and love forever. To me, that's a legacy. I'm fortunate to have a job where I get to do that.

What makes you sad?
The fact that we are destroying everything that is beautiful around us. The human race is like kudzu suffocating everything around.

Sex, drugs or rock n roll?
yes, no, yes. Women are definitely my weakness, probably my downfall, and music is my passion. I'm too crazy already, so I don't need the drugs.

Last book you read?
This is really sad. I don't think I've read a book the whole way through since I've been tattooing. I think the last book I read was "Days of War, Nights of Love", put out by Crimethinc. I should read more.

How many tattoos do you have?
Too many. I got tattooed alot when I was younger. I got almost everything I have by the time I was 19. I definitely should have thought about it more. But I don't regret them, they remind me of great times I'd love to revisit. I've really only gotten a few pieces since I started tattooing. My friend Tim Mcgrath has tattooed me, and my close friend Josh Woods will be tattooing me soon. We tattooed eachothers hands. I think that means we're going steady.

Quote us your favourite song lyric?
Boy sets fire, "You and me, we are more like sheep, forced to march, crippled feet to the slaughter."

Is there a downside to being so talented?
See, it's funny, I wouldn't consider myself talented. I would say more hard working and determined. I wasn't the kid in school that everyone said, "wow, look at his drawings". I have always been extremely determined and motivated. That's the only thing that's gotten me where I am today. The first time I came to All or Nothing, I walked about with a pad of paper a pen taking notes on everything anyone was willing to tell him. I went home and studied those notes night after night, trying to learn everything that I possibly could. To this day I still take notes all time. The downside to that motivation is that I'm a workaholic. That's not always the best thing for relationships or your own stress level.

What's your worst habit?
My worst habit is that I am a caretaker. I try to provide for and take care of those I love, even if it destroys me in the end. You know, I need a cooler bad habit, like being a serial killer or sex addict. I might possibly be the most boring tattooer ever.

Can you dispel a tattoo myth for us?
Let's see, a tattoo myth. How bout this one, they do hurt like hell. I mean, they hurt really bad. I hate getting tattooed. And it never gets better, no matter how many you have or how long you get them, they will always hurt. It's like riding a bike, you never forget that annoying pain.

What else do like other than art?
I like mountains, hiking, being outside in general. My friends say I look like a mini-Yeti running through the woods when we go out. There is something about being outside that honestly just puts me in a good mood and makes me happy. Eventually I want to be living out in a cabin in the woods enjoying how quiet it is. One day.

Any regrets?
Plenty, but I wouldn't be where I am today without them. Though their are a few that make it hard to sleep.

Got a website/myspace/da/flickr/blog to share?

www.seanherman.com
www.myspace.com/seantattoos
www.allornothingtattoo.com

For more check out www.underspray.com. The interview should be up soon
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Default Re: preview of my underspray.com interview

Sean Herman you flipping Rock! You always have such great interviews.

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.allornothingtattoo.com
www.vickdogmovie.com
www.strangleholdmerch.com
www.atlantapitbullrescue.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Platoon Sargent

Sean, I love reading your thoughts on tattoo, and life in general.

Makes me wish I was closer so we could actually have a conversation some time.

Keep up the great work!

http://www.inkednation.com/parabellum9x19
Old 08-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Smooth Operator
Field Marshal

Sean is a very intelligent man. I respect him for being both that, a talented artist, and a great man in general..

but I still hate him.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Private

Let's see, a tattoo myth. How bout this one, they do hurt like hell. I mean, they hurt really bad. I hate getting tattooed. And it never gets better, no matter how many you have or how long you get them, they will always hurt. It's like riding a bike, you never forget that annoying pain.
>

Thank you. I completly agree with you on this one. I'm sick of hearing the artists that I work with or repeat customers say "I've been tattooed so much it doesn't hurt". Heck yes that sh!t hurts.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Platoon Sargent

+1 for tattoos hurting.

My chest was horrible...but my back was really not too bad at all.

http://www.inkednation.com/parabellum9x19
Old 08-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Corporal

yeah, it doesnt matter how many tattoos you have, when those needles hit your skin, that s&!t hurts, some placed worse than others, but it still hurts.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Smooth Operator
Field Marshal

They do hurt.. But mine dont really bother me, I just lay there and kinda sleep.. The only ones that I cant do that with is my arms.. Suuuuucks. I was so unhappy when Brandon was tattooing me, hahaha
Old 08-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Field Marshal

those are some great questions as well - great answers - great interview!

Tags
interview, preview, underspraycom