Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 12-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Private

Default Advice for a tattoo artist with Christian family

I've been offered an apprenticeship in Canton. Being a tattoo artist is my dream. There's just one problem. My family hates tattoos. I was wondering if there were other artists who had a similar issue and how they went about dealing with it. Thanks!

Here is my website if you are interested in seeing my work.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Pablo@AllorNothing

Default Re: Advice for a tattoo artist with Christian family

Your family shouldn't get tattooed. Haha. jk. What is it about the tattoo industry your family is opposed to? I'm thinking dont tattoo anything that is against your beliefs and all should be well. I'm down with the G O D myself and have no qualms with saying it. Family first and everything else will fall in line.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Private

Well, I'm not looking to get into a religious debate. They just think tattoos are forbidden because you are supposed to keep your body a holy temple. I think tattoos are more part of self-expression. I found this website and thought it made a lot of sense to me. http://www.sacredink.net/tattoo_and_the_bible/
Old 12-18-2010, 06:12 PM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

my family is christian and so am i (believe it or not). and in my personal opinion, most christians will say anything to get somebody to do what they want, in fact, all religions are like that, its all about control. if your family loves you, they will love you whether or not you tattoo or are tattooed. and if they dont, well then their douche bags. i tell my parents the stories that come up during a tattoo involving all aspects of religion or god or whatever, and they realize, that i have a better opportunity than most churches to talk about what i believe, however i do NOT jam it down peoples throats, which is where the church f@#ks up. so....there you go, i hope it helps

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Old 12-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endanger View Post
you are supposed to keep your body a holy temple.
From my point of view.. If your body is a temple, why not decorate it as most churches, temples, etc. do anyway..

Then again I would agree, don't tattoo anything you're not comfortable with..
Old 12-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Private

Im a Christian fro a Christian household, my dad was even a pastor growing up. My parents support what I do even though they arent covered, (dads got some tribal) Ive tattooed church worship leaders, church pastors, and talk openly about God with my clients. I find God and tattoos go very well together
Old 12-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Needs Church
Field Marshal

If I'm not mistaken,.. somewhere in the book of revelations, Jesus himself has a tattoo.
Soooooo,... WWJD ?
Just go with what feels right to you.
I'm Jewish,.. I have tattoo's and can never be buried in a Jewish cemetery.
It is all your choice.
... ( y )
Old 12-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Private

Best advice I can give is... Push yourself to be great and you can make them see that tattooing is a valid artform.

My dad was happy me and my bro started tattooing but used to say how he wished we did disney movies or comicbooks or painting... He didnt have much of a respect of the artform until we got a lil better. And the better we get the more he's proud our our "artwork".

Pretty mucxh the same with everyone including co-workers at my day job... they kinda look funny when you tell them you tattoo, and I usually show them the work of people like Bond, Hurtado, Devries, Tyrrell etc, which helps them understand that "tattoos" arent just doodles on people skin but real f'ing art
Old 12-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Private

Thanks everyone for your great input :]
Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 PM
MakingInsanityFunSince'83
Field Marshal

You're an adult. Not everything you like and do is going to be liked and approved by your family. That's life. If your dream is to become a tattoo artist, then do it. I'm sure your family has told you to never let anyone or anything get in the way of your dreams. That includes them and their beliefs.

As far the body being a Temple that should be kept holy... Look around the world. There are more cultures that tattoo FOR religious beliefs and BECAUSE their body is a holy temple, than those that do not.

Tags
advice, artist, christian, family, tattoo