Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 06-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Private

Default Painterly Tattooing

What up all, this is my first post here, Just wanna first give a shout out to everyone at AON, I'm a huge fan of all of your work.

But anyway, I have always loved the way tattoos look done with a painterly style like the works of Paul Acker at deep six labratory in Phili. (for those of you who dont know his work, I strongly suggest you check him out at www.fixedarmy.com) But it got me thinking what techniques he used to achieve that style of realism and painting quality i think it just brings the tattoo from being just a typical tattoo to a serious work of art. I made an appointment with him for august so i can really check out his style but I just wanted to hear some of the talented artists on here's point of view.

Thanks for all the responses

Grind
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Platoon Sargent

Default Re: Painterly Tattooing

Welcome!

Yeah, Paul Acker is one of my favorite people for his photorealism. For instance, this Joker portrait he did is one of my favorites. It is also from what is arguably the most hauntingly illustrated Batman graphic novel ever made.

http://www.inkednation.com/parabellum9x19
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Private

Yeah thats an awesome one, heres my favorite piece from paul, its one of his more recent pieces. I could just look at this all day long.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Corporal

sean herman
Old 06-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Platoon Sargent

>sean herman

Yes indeed. Both Sean and Chris Vennekamp have incredible photo realism skills, and I *so* enjoy seeing their work.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Private

I would have to agree, but technique wise, what are they doing differently then a regular tattoo to achieve such a realistic and painterly effect?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Platoon Sargent

I have no idea what they are doing as far as technique, but I know I love the results.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Field Marshal

its all the same techniques really paul, sean, chris, josh, nate, all of us are really doing the same stuff in different ways... paul is awesome though... and he definately has created his own niche up there, tell him to holla at us huh?
Old 06-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Field Marshal

ps welcome to the boards bro!
Old 06-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Private

Yeah, man I'll send him your regards..Thanks for the welcome..I look foward to some more posting.

GRIND

Tags
painterly, tattooing