Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 02-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Private

Default cutback shaders

I wanted to know the advantages of using a cutback shader vrs a standard shader. it seems it would benefit the the mid to light grays.

the reason I ask is, I have a guy who builds me custom brass machines. he is a great builder and he gives me a great price on his machines. he usually comes in the shop and ask me "what do i want the machine to do, or check this one out"

so he recently made me a shader and said "i been watching your hand speed and you move pretty fast, so try this shader out. it will make your greys smoother" I was trying to make my grays alot smoother so I was interested. the font spring was alot shorter then what I'm use to. even though it had a heavy a bar it was fast.

so I have 2 questions concerning this style of machine.

1, should I run the voltage lower to make it bog down like a normal shader or glide the needles on high to medium voltage?

2, how much throw should I have? the gap is about a dime but the rear spring tension makes the throw a little over a dime.

this set up slightly contradicts what I was original taught. it would be nice to get alittle insight on it before I try it out. I use long taper curved and long taper standard 13 mags. thanx. this site rocks
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:17 AM
Platoon Sargent

Default Re: cutback shaders

I've never heard of a cutback shader. Can you post a pic?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:09 AM
Private

definitely good for mid to light greys. the short throw means it's not good for packing in solid blacks.
the resulting speed of the machine means more dots closer together, the throw means less ink. so together equals smoother softer shades.

As for volts and that... sup to you. the one I got hit hard at high volts. I re-sprung it and got it running faster and softer which suited me better.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:35 AM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
its not a cutback shader, its a cutback liner being used as a shader. lots of people use them. very fast and small air gap means it will hit soft so you dont tear up skin. i love the s&!t out of mine.

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Old 02-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

http://www.martini-machines.com/limited.htm

Last edited by Beamish417; 02-26-2010 at 11:20 AM..
Old 02-26-2010, 01:18 PM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

thats not a cut back!!!! cut back refers to the front spring being "cut back" a cutback machine has a very short front spring, being short makes it very stiff, allowing it to run very fast.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:24 PM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

this is a cut back

Old 02-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Private

Huh guess you learn something new everyday. I thought it had to do with the frame geometry.

So this would be a true cutback shader then..

Old 02-26-2010, 02:32 PM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

yup

Old 02-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Private

wow! great replies. the reason I ask about the voltage is because, I was worried about hanging up in the skin.

I'm not asking for so much on specific voltage. just a rough high or low setting.
meaning, can I hang a lot of needle out, on a low voltage for a nice bog down?

or does it work best of the tube?

or does it work best on high voltage with just gliding the needles?

I really appreciate the replies. with dots being closer. it makes more sense for smoother grays. if thats the case. that will alow me to smooth out my shading with slowing my hand speed down. that would be the best case scenario.

thanx again guys. when I try it on my next piece I'll let you know the results.

Tags
cutback, shaders