Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Corporal

Default Re: anyone else have trouble with Eternal Triple black Blowing out like crazy??

I usually outline with Silverback then color in the pawprints with Eternal Triple Black. Usually no problem. I was told by others never to outilne with triple black (again unless with extreme care and caution) too risky why bother?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 AM
Private

Default Re: anyone else have trouble with Eternal Triple black Blowing out like crazy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay View Post
try adding a little glycerine to the ink it will make it thicker....just my two cents
There is no good reason to put glycerin in black to make it thicker. It won't solve the problem.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingtom View Post
no, that ink is f@#ked. stop using it and buy something else. its not the skin or how deep you went, its the ink. its way too concentrated!!!!
/end of thread. you know waverlys black has not done one blowout since i used it.....looks like i aint using eternal triple....ever
Old 04-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Recruit

Angry Re: anyone else have trouble with Eternal Triple black Blowing out like crazy??

I had a tattoo done in January.... thought that I was really bruised afterwards cause it was done on my forearm. After about a week of the so called "artist" telling me that it would get better I realized that it wasn't changing colour, and was NOT a bruise. a It was about 2 inches of blowout around the entire tattoo!!!!!! (Not to mention the nasty infection I got! Which of course was my fault for "overcleaning" lol)

After talking to the owner of the shop and a few other artists we came to realize that it was the ink.... ( the guy who did the tat actually told me it cause I was a "bigger" girl that it happened and only happened in "bigger" people!!!) My arm looks horrible....the owner of the shop has actually offered to tattoo over it and fix it up.... Which I'm greatfull for! Maybe if the artist knew what he was doing this would have turned out differently!!!! I wish some sort of research was done before tattooing people with sh*t ink!!!!!

I say take this SH*T off the market before this happens to more people!!!! I'm sure you tattoo artists are tired of covering up the mess this crap makes!!!!!

Has anyone called the manufacturer and told them what is happening??????? Maybe someone should!?!?!?!?!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:17 AM
Private

first, the artist should be fired for treating you like that. nobody deserves that, especially after giving you s&!tty work.. also, before the company was bought out or whatever, it was one of the best Black inks around.. its not really our fault for not knowing any better since weve been using it for years successfully and the company never told us there was a change.. THEIR fault , as long as the artist switched as soon as it was noticed.. since i made the original post i switched to WAVERLY ink and couldnt be happier with it. i havent had a trace of blowouts happening once, it goes in easy and heals quick and solid.. if i were you i wouldnt go back to that shop after the owner fixes it. you paid good money for good work and theres no excuse for him trying to blame you for his mistake, lying and insulting you on the way..
Old 04-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Recruit

Hey Ernie,

The artist was fired...however has since moved on to another shop in the area The owner of the shop, who is going to fix it is actually a great artist. I told him about this site when I saw it and told him to pull the ink from his shop, unless he wants this to keep happening. I believe he listened. He dosen't want this exposure that's for sure.

I'm glad the word is getting out about this... I regret my tattoo... and that was a feeling I have never had about any of the work that I have had done, and would hate for more people to feel the same. Or to give tattoo's and tattoo artists a bad name.

I'm getting my money back and getting the work fixed on May 1st.... I'll let you know how it turns out I really hope I'm not on here ranting again!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Recruit

I think the problem with using Eternal Triple Black and getting blowouts is because it's a much thicker black. My guess is it's intended for tribals or large black areas. I learned that the hard way this weekend when I ran out of Dynamic lining black and I reached for my new bottle of Eternal Triple Black which I bought from a seller from Poland. Blow Out City!! I think this is definitely a filling black, it's real thick.

In general, outlining inks are thinner and go in much better and easier for outlines. I find that a good black for outlining is thinner and more fluid, for packing in color, thick is better. My fave lining blacks are Kuro Sumi (in the white bottle!! We got a batch in a black bottle yaers ago that was blow out central, especially if your liners are a bit tight or your machine not running optimally), or Dynamic black, or good ole Talens or Pelican. If you've got a thicker black you can also cut it with a more fluid Dynamic black. I'd recommend at least 50%.

This lining situation also applies to color inks. We tried out Dynamic's colors a few years ago. I found many of the pigments super fluid- a bit too fluid for my tastes. I couldn't pack the color in like I could normally with thicker colors. I finally figured it out- I use my thicker inks for big color areas. For outlining in colors, Dynamics are great as they are so fluid. Don't ya love it when you finally figure s&!t out after years and years?

In my opinion, if you are having some trouble with your lining, first of course check that your machine's tuned, then check that your liners aren't too tight, and last, make sure your ink isn't too think for lining.

Oh and lastly, I tried Waverly black last year at a convention- pretty awesome. I still need to pick some up and put it further to the test.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:20 AM
Recruit

I had a similar problem years ago that I had to figure out through trial and error. I had been using Starbright Black Magic to do outlines for years. Lines always seemed a little fuzzy and then some would have the crazy blowout effect shown in the photos. This would always happen as the tattoo healed...work looked ok after completion.

So anyway, I started out at a new shop and didn't have any black, so I used the owners Pelikan black. Did some pieces and as they would come back, I would check out the healed result. I remember being struck by the fact that the lines stayed nice and crisp, unlike before.

Then the owner ran out of black and used some of mine. Again, some major blowouts on certain individuals. So he calls papilion up and asks whats up. What they said was interesting. They said because its a pigment dispersion that the particles are small enough to spread to the surrounding tissues. Apparently this is not the case with traditional blacks.

From what I understand, the particle size is smaller for pre-dispersed inks. Since all Waverly pigments are powder vs. pre-dispersed I imagine it would be better for lining. Actually I have been lining with Talens, but I have heard there is some risk of blowouts(more so than with Pelikan...but they made it difficult to obtain these days) so I might try the Waverly black. I love all their colors which I already use.

Last edited by bigislander72; 04-25-2012 at 06:23 AM..
Old 05-14-2012, 03:28 AM
Private

I'm from germany and just wanted to mention that triple black was taken away from the market so fast i couldn't even test it. But if I read all this things hear I'm very glad i couldn't use it....
Old 07-07-2012, 02:33 AM
Recruit

Last edited by ZoeThorne; 07-19-2012 at 04:47 PM..

Tags
black, blowing, crazy, eternal, triple, trouble