Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 02-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Angel of Death
Corporal

Default Hands & Necks???

Okay, I putting this here because this is a question to the artists!

A younger person (say 18 to 26) comes into your studio and wants their hands or necks tattooed BUT they only have a few tattoos. Do you go ahead and tattoo them, or do you tell them that you really don't tattoo anyone in those places until they are fairly heavily covered???
(arms, legs, chest, back, etc)

I am just curious what the current trend is in this situation.

thanks,

Bunny
Tattooed Sweethearts
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Field Marshal

Default Re: Hands & Necks???

It usually is a case by case thing for me. If someone is a youngin' and wants to get a really visible tattoo I usually let them know the experiences I had being heavily tattooed (before I tattooed) and was told literally, that I didn't "look professional enough" for a job to shovel s&!t at dog kennels. It's hard to get employed in a "real" job with hand and neck tattoos, sometimes. Unless you are stoked on being a cook in the back, or a long hard life of construction...think it through. That is serious. It was also almost 10 years ago I was told that, and hopefully perceptions have changed. I wish the people that tattoed my neck and hands at 18 and 19 said "hey kid, think it through"...but that isn't their job, their job is to tattoo, and I was nuts.

And thats for people that are pretty tattooed, anyway. Think about it!!

But I also know that other "artists" could potentially butcher them, if I tell them I won't do it. Other people might suggest "bigger, and bolder" where as I might be able to sway them to get something elsewhere. I ask them to make an appointment for at least a week later, and tell them to think about the possible repercussions, and if they still want it...then lets do it...

however if it's their first, or they dont have any visibles...it's not going to happen no matter what. Get some other tattoos first. earn em.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Scott Barriger
Corporal

i dont tattoo hands, period. as for necks, like conor stated, i try to speak with them about thier plans for life and whatnot, but if they are insistent, then i do it. same with wrists tattoos, which seems to be growing in trend.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Field Marshal

depends how hungry i am haha
Old 02-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Angel of Death
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkmunky View Post
depends how hungry i am haha
Seriously...I know that really does play into it and it is not really any tattooers responsiblity,
BUT it can be a very life altering decision this person is making and it can be the difference between your client working in a stockroom, kitchen, or a record store the rest of their lives.

I am a bit older than some of you here, and I guess when I was coming up unless you were heavily tattooed or had been in an industry for years(like 10)
with a solid job, then no artist would even consider tattooing someone on the hands or neck.

You had to earn those tattoos!!!

I'm not argueing with the fact that the all mighty dollar comes into play, but I was always under the impression that this was part of a tradition of tattooing and I wondered if that had changed somewhat.

Bunny
Tattooed Sweethearts
Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Field Marshal

i know i've turned down plenty of bad ideas and bad places (despite starving for weeks) b/c of what little moral turpitude i have left.

typically i won't tattoo hands or necks unless you're heavily covered like say me. But lets face it, times have changed. Kids these days are taking there lessons from rappers and thugs, and unfortunately that's all they see is tattoos everywhere visible. Sorry if i want to slang dope or steal a car i'll go straight to lil wayne but when it comes to tattoos i'll get my inspiration elsewhere. That's all these thug wanna be little f@#ktards want these days is "M.O.B." tattooed on their hands or necks. If it's someone i might have some respect for then i'll advise them against it. However if you walk into the shop with a coat that's xxxl and has a fur lining with your timbs not even tied and your pants around your knees waving around your drug money then f@#k it i'll take your money and you can explain to your kids why you'd rather choose money over b1tc4es when they get older.... that is if you can even get laid in the meantime and i'm talking consentual sex not slipping a roofie to a girl or telling some groupie wanna be your in DMX's posse in order to get your little fireman wet.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Angel of Death
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkmunky View Post
i know i've turned down plenty of bad ideas and bad places (despite starving for weeks) b/c of what little moral turpitude i have left.

typically i won't tattoo hands or necks unless you're heavily covered like say me. But lets face it, times have changed. Kids these days are taking there lessons from rappers and thugs, and unfortunately that's all they see is tattoos everywhere visible. Sorry if i want to slang dope or steal a car i'll go straight to lil wayne but when it comes to tattoos i'll get my inspiration elsewhere. That's all these thug wanna be little f@#ktards want these days is "M.O.B." tattooed on their hands or necks. If it's someone i might have some respect for then i'll advise them against it. However if you walk into the shop with a coat that's xxxl and has a fur lining with your timbs not even tied and your pants around your knees waving around your drug money then f@#k it i'll take your money and you can explain to your kids why you'd rather choose money over b1tc4es when they get older.... that is if you can even get laid in the meantime and i'm talking consentual sex not slipping a roofie to a girl or telling some groupie wanna be your in DMX's posse in order to get your little fireman wet.
LMAO...point very well explained...ha ha ha.
I guess it really is sad isn't it.
Tattooed Sweethearts
Old 02-26-2009, 01:32 AM
Craig Harris
Corporal

I turn them down and tell them to come see me again when they`re 30 and have thier head screwed on and know where they`re going in life.........but yes still gotta pay the bills though
Old 02-26-2009, 07:40 AM
Platoon Sargent

Yeah, I'd try to talk them out of it first. But like others have said, if they want it bad enough they'll just go get it elsewhere. So I'll pretty much do whatever they ask if they want it that bad.

Same rules apply to hookin up with 18 yr old college girls.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Angel of Death
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deran View Post
Yeah, I'd try to talk them out of it first. But like others have said, if they want it bad enough they'll just go get it elsewhere. So I'll pretty much do whatever they ask if they want it that bad.

Same rules apply to hookin up with 18 yr old college girls.
Why do I doubt this about the college girls???
ha ha ha!
Tattooed Sweethearts

Tags
hands, necks