Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 01-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Private

Default critique of pencil work please...

Just thought I would throw up some pencil art of mine....see what everyone thinks.....be honest......I'll take a baby aspirin and be all right in the morning hehehehe

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...mechleaves.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...iomechtree.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...aitingorig.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...2007/heads.jpg

peace brothers R.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Private

Default Re: critique of pencil work please...

22 views ......no comments......that bad huh??lol ohhh well, gotta' go find Norris number, put a few hits on some folks....hehehehe
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 AM
ceo-pirate/ninja alliance
Corporal

actually i thought they were all great, but im not an artist so i was going to let someone who knew what they were talking about give you some guidance cause god knows i dont need to be saying ANYTHING about the way ANYONE'S art looks. ha ha
Old 01-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Corporal

your work is ok, is that ok

check out this 23 year old artist / tattoo artist, please everyone be a gentleman, shes a nice girl, and she can draw circles around me

http://www.inkednation.com/twyliteskyz
Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Corporal

I am not a big fan of the subject matter, but your drawing seem fine to me. Of course I am not an artist.

As far as the twyliteskyz on inked nation is concerned, her pencil drawings are amazing. Her tattoos not so much. I guess that's where the apprenticeship will come in handy. Maybe get BB's DVD? One other thing I don't think I have ever seen is a tattoo artist that doesn't seem to have any tattoos. Is that common?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Private

thank you very much......lol was'nt lookin' for ya' to paint my ass gold, toss me out in public witha pretty bow on my head.......just wanted some honest feedback, as this is a new style I've been tryin'.....one of 'em I've already tattooed......its much appreciated just the same, hahahaha

Peace Brothers R.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...tanical1st.jpg
Old 01-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Corporal

whats up man nice drawings ....what type of pencil are you using looks like a number 2 ???? pick up some different lead types for a bit more dimension and depth in you work you might even want to try charcoal and a blending stump comes in really handy for those softer shades .

check out some pencil drawing tutorials on the web there are tons of them also read up on composition your stuff will improve drastically hit me up on my email Hamlet@matthewhamlet.com ill send ya a few things that will really help you out

much love
:hAMLET

www.matthewhamlet.com
www.myspace.com/russellcitytattoo
www.inkednation.com/matthewhamlet
www.tattooartists.org/Hamlet
Old 01-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Field Marshal

looks a lot like stuff I used to draw when I started out - seriously!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Weaksauce
Corporal

(*Not my sketch, but very similar to how I work.*)

It's ok to sketch lightly to build up your object. As you start to define your object you get a little heavier with your line weight. (See the second paragraph for more detail.)

This is how I was taught to draw. Although it was tough at first the basic principles can help everyone. To get real good depth in a drawing, try not to shade everything in. Consider the blank color of the page as your color of the object and work from there. So note in the drawings above as to how it's done. Only the areas of the shadows are given attention. Also note that when there truly is a dark area it is shaded heavily to give strong contrast amongst the composition.

The other thing to work on is your line weight. I'm talking specifically about the lines that are used to make up the form. It is often overlooked but can also give depth to a drawing. Portions of the object that are far away should have light lines. As the object gets closer, the lines should be heavier.

I was taught by some old japanese guy in college. All I did was draw lines and circles for HOURS. I reccommend you do the same. Focus only on your line weight and drawing a straight line. DO NOT draw with your wrist. Draw from your shoulder. The best way to learn this is drawing on a tall table standing up. Once you get that stuff down then move into drawing objects. If you have any questions just post it up an I'll help you out.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Field Marshal

a trick i learned that really helped is to use a light colored color pencil (light blue, green, pink) and build up your basic areas, avoid the urge to erase, you can build up the lines you like. Then switch over to a black to do the rest of the linework 561design has the right idea with lineweight. if you want it to look cleaner afterwards, get a light box and re-do the lines then add your shading.

also check out nikko's myspace page http://www.myspace.com/nikkotattsu he's got 2 videos of him building up a drawings, they're sped up but definitely helpful

Tags
critique, pencil, work