Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 10-21-2008, 10:34 AM
scruffy nerf herder
Corporal

Default eikon green monster kits?

id like to learn more about machine building and i figured an easy beginning would be to buy an eikon green monster kit. any thoughts? my daily drivers are both mickey sharpz and i dont feel comfrotable tinkering with them. are the eikon machines reliable?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Private

Default Re: eikon green monster kits?

I have seen a few in the shop and haven't heard a bad thing about them. I plan on grabbing one and building a shader. EIKON has great Illustrations/Diagrams.... The only complaint is on my end is that it reminds me of a JOHN DEERE tractor....
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:53 AM
scruffy nerf herder
Corporal

true. but you can f@#k up the frame. ive read some things about having to sand the powdercoat out of the tube vise. but im looking for anyone who has used one? i just think its funny that they charge the same for the fully assembled ones.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Field Marshal

If you are learning to build your own, Id suggest grabbing different parts. Eikon does make a great quality of equipment, but I have heard the same troubles with the tube vise. To delve deeper into getting a better understanding of your machines workings...whats always fun is to grab a frame (from spaulding for example) and fill it with the guts from a reputable companies rebuild kit.

Awesome!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Private

The first time I built a machine from the frame, I bought a $50 CAM brass machine and stripped it and rebuilt it entirely with Kingpin Rebuild Kit. I have rebuilt it many times.. Now it's a frankenstein shader with many different parts. The first rebuild, I had to stare at it with no reference and try to put it together. With scattered pieces all over. I learned alot doing it that way.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:07 AM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

dude, i use green monsters every day. they are made to be versatile, meaning that you can make them run anyway you want, if you know how to tune a machine. send a pm, and i will help you out

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Old 10-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Corporal

I have both a liner and a shader monster.
I love both of them. They run consistent day in and day out. I really dont like the John Deere color so I used another frame I had lying around for the liner, but the shader is still that Deere green.

From personal experience, it's just ridiculously fun to build and tune. and I got to learn a lot about machines hands-on. I'd recommend it.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:18 AM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

right on bro, sand that b1tc4 down, heat it up cherry red, and dip it in oil.

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Old 10-23-2008, 07:47 AM
scruffy nerf herder
Corporal

you can buy unfinished frames from eikon. but the green dosent bother me that much.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickradsean View Post
you can buy unfinished frames from eikon. but the green dosent bother me that much.
unfortunately they cant get them to come with yellow coils!

i saw a machine builder that once made a John Deere machine full with logos on the coils, I cant remember who, but it looked slick.

Tags
eikon, green, kits, monster