Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 12-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Corporal

Default Re: Single needle shading...

I learned to tattoo in prison using this technique. I ws taught buy Ed Lee (flash2xs owner) and Skully (brian burkey) Both phenomenal tattoo artists in and out of prison. We did have speed control but it didnt make much of a difference. I used water and blood for the shading. I would gload my tube with ink and go from the darkest area and use get a majority of the ink out there and them move to the lighter areas and work it in there. A majority of my work was done like that and I have seen better work in there then I have from alot of the shops out here.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Field Marshal

hahaha - yeah ed lee is amazing!
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonanteye View Post
but I don't have f@#king cable

I'm gonna start saying I do watch it, now ))
you can youtube most of the shows etc.. dont be scared.. get illegal cable.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterileSteve View Post
It originated in the prisons where you used a single needle to do the whole tattoo.

Back then it was referred to as whip shading. It was done with black ink and the speed was controlled by hand movement. There were no speed controls on the homemade power supplies back then. The gray wash effect was achieved by a quick dip of black and then working the blood with a whip motion causing the black to thin and create a stipple effect.

It was mastered by many Latino artists from the prisons around the lower southwest.
thats the truth! i approve since san jose is fillled with these tattooers.. im gonna go practice my single line shading tonight on the shop apprentice. we should post some single line work on here that we have done.. yea or no?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Field Marshal

yeah post it up!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Corporal

im gonna do a single needle piece of sweet 16oz baby jesus morphing into ,Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
Old 01-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Field Marshal

hahahaaa

if you aint first your last.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:43 AM
the cap'm
Corporal

wow! damn the smallest I ever get is 5 for greylines hahaha

I'm such a pussy about smaller groupings
Old 01-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Corporal

3s are fun! you just made that blessing your b1tc4.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Field Marshal

if the piece calls for it. i love that whip shading man. its so sweet. i will do that on traditional stuff....anything smaller than a cantaloupe. yeah thats right, i said it.x

Tags
needle, shading, single