Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 03-13-2008, 12:47 AM
THE JAGERMASTER
Corporal

Default Re: Alla Prima Inks, Tattoomachinez.com

I heard about alla prima a few months ago....a great local artist named dj minor in houston was promoting them....from what ive heard from many people they work out really well.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:13 AM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonofthedead View Post
I heard about alla prima a few months ago....a great local artist named dj minor in houston was promoting them....from what ive heard from many people they work out really well.
i like dj minors work, a lot!
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:40 PM
THE JAGERMASTER
Corporal

ya hes pretty sweet with a machine
Old 03-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Private

yea his style is def. a trend in houston....im all about his ol' lady's work too..awesome neo-trad style its soooo sweet.

as far as the ink, i have no idea...still has to pass the test of time.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Field Marshal

lot of people are making ink these days... i heard gunnar was gonna make some inks, but then had problems with the company making it in like brazil or something. weird. how do you "make" ink and why would it be made in brazil??? I have heard people making ink with national powders and stuff like that...other than that...how does it get "made"?
Old 03-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorblue View Post
lot of people are making ink these days... i heard gunnar was gonna make some inks, but then had problems with the company making it in like brazil or something. weird. how do you "make" ink and why would it be made in brazil??? I have heard people making ink with national powders and stuff like that...other than that...how does it get "made"?
ive read numerous recipes...most contain a color pigment base, glycerin and some sort of suspension (ive heard of people using vodka) its also a good idea to have a "clean" room with exhaust fans and such to make sure that nothing gets contaminated.
im sure the process is more complicated than it sounds...but hey, i like to read.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:33 PM
'Speak Your Mind'
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by motelsicks View Post
ive read numerous recipes...most contain a color pigment base, glycerin and some sort of suspension (ive heard of people using vodka) its also a good idea to have a "clean" room with exhaust fans and such to make sure that nothing gets contaminated.
im sure the process is more complicated than it sounds...but hey, i like to read.
When I took Lyle Tuttles seminar he said that he used to use Everclear or Vodka. What little I've heard about making inks, it seems time consuming and messy, so I'd imagine you're on point about havin' a clean room, plus patience.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Private

This is a very interesting thread knowing a little back story to the "Alla Prima" I first heard about it the last convention I went to.. I talked to Josh and his apprentice about machine set up's them making their own line and seen the ink displayed next to them and in his booth with John.

In china you can order 1000ml bottles for great price!

I just had Josh's apprentice build me (2) machines. They should be here soon... Has anyone run any of their machines?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:32 AM
Craig Harris
Corporal

I have made ink from powder form, and yes it is messy and time consuming getting the mix right. I don`t have the time to do it anymore so i`ve been trying other brands etc, not too keen on eternal tho....... I`ve been weighing up trying alla prima or virgin ink. just not sure what i brand i want to try.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Corporal

An artist at the shop here mixes her own inks. It's a messy process, but they look great!

As for Alla Prima, I like them.

Tags
alla, inks, prima, tattoomachinezcom