Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 09-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Recruit

Default Digital power supply got me scratching my head

This is my first post so let me do a quick intro.

25 years ago I apprenticed at a little shop in Minnesota. It was a short lived apprenticeship and my mentor quickly got me tattooing before he dumped a bunch of gear on me one weekend and told me to familiarize myself with it. He then left town with his wife without really telling anyone what was going on. I tattooed for a while on my own before having to close shop due to funds.

I've been back and forth over the years and have finally settled down for the last two (bad marriage and divorce, finances, etc. kept me from being steady).

So having to kind of go at it my own, I learned the equipment and even prided myself on being able to build my own machines.

I recently purchased a Critical power supply and now I'm scratching my head.

I've always used my ear to tune a machine. Now this digital is telling me things I hadn't grasped before. I've got two machines that are running high duty cycles. One I built and a Mike Hill that I "fixed up". I've got the speed I'm comfortable with but the duty cycles are at like 68-74% ! Three in the shop and now all have Critical power supplies. Two use rotaries exclusively so they are no help and the other young fellow uses coil machines but he doesn't really grasp tuning a machine (but of course his are all running fine).

I've tried changing springs and adjusting tension, changed a bars. No matter what I do, I can get it to run at the speed I like (138hz + -) but the duty cycles are always high. I've asked elsewhere and responses I get are "The hardest thing about using a digital power supply is ignoring those numbers".
Wow, why would you do that? It's telling you something. Duty cycles are telling you the on / off time.....yes? So if it's properly tuned it should be around 50% give or take.
Some don't want to answer at all. High on their throne as if they are giving out trade secrets or something. Really? Don't want to give a fellow artist with the same passion for tattoos some simple advise? I'm not trying to steal your customers.

So if someone has any advise I would greatly appreciate it.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Recruit

Default Re: Digital power supply got me scratching my head

Figured it out. Must have gotten some off screws. Didn't notice it but the screws for the armature bars were not flat on the bottom. A stupid small burr was making contact on the rear coil.
Smooth sailing now.

Mike Hill machine @ 6 v - 140Hz 51% duty
Custom @ 6v - 144Hz 50% duty
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote

Tags
digital, head, power, scratching, supply