Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 10-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Pit Bull Ninja
Private

Default Re: Drawing Techniques and Methodology

Makes total sense. I started to draw more like this recently, but your advice helps alot. Thanks so much!

Oh and another thing.. I am a free hand artist and I struggle to get things lined up right, etc. (like eyes) I end up spending alot of time on them many times. Any suggestions for free hand and symmetry. And I agree, we can only get it so close. Perfection is reserved for the immortal.

Thanks again
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Pit Bull Ninja
Private

Just wanted to share
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Pit Bull Ninja
Private

One more.. this is in pastel
Old 10-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Field Marshal

drawing on the right side of the brain is the most vaulable book. so simple, but its epic. eyes not lining up? use the vase/face study. get the book and you will know what im talking about!
Old 10-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Weaksauce
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Star View Post
Makes total sense. I started to draw more like this recently, but your advice helps alot. Thanks so much!

Oh and another thing.. I am a free hand artist and I struggle to get things lined up right, etc. (like eyes) I end up spending alot of time on them many times. Any suggestions for free hand and symmetry. And I agree, we can only get it so close. Perfection is reserved for the immortal.

Thanks again
I would just rough out the head to get a general idea of where everything should be like this.

Basically generalize the form into shapes. This will help you get the perspective down. Do this stage lightly and when you start drawing in the facial features start to get a little heavier. It's ok if you can still lightly see the construction lines.

Dolphins are really good to practice this because it's very easy to generalize their form and they have minimal facial features so you can focus on a few things at a time.

Don't worry about getting it right the first time. Just focus on the first few steps first til you get those comfortable.

If you're talkin about using Freehand software. Then I would suggest sketching it out by hand first. This will get your brain thinkin in the right direction and you're able to resolve perspective issues quickly. Once you have the sketch done, scan it in and use it as the frame work to work from in the software.

Here is an example of a hand sketch that was brought into a software program like freehand/photoshop and enhanced.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Pit Bull Ninja
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorblue View Post
drawing on the right side of the brain is the most vaulable book. so simple, but its epic. eyes not lining up? use the vase/face study. get the book and you will know what im talking about!
Awesome.. will do!

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Pit Bull Ninja
Private

Dolphins? I will give that a try. I have only painted a dolphin once for a wall mural I did.
I like diagram.. I usually only put a line down the middle and across where the eyes go, but here the entire face is lined.

Did you do that digital art?? That's what I am getting into now. That first pic I posted is in PS. I drew the dog on paper and then loaded into my computer and the airbrushed it in PS7. I'm about to get a Wacom tablet and give that a shot. I still do all my traditional art (acrylics, pastel, colored pencil, etc.), but digital art is really starting to get my attention. Funny, I used to resent it big time and now I am the one some artists are spitting at. LMAO

Sketch of the above dog painted in PS. Sorry I tried to darken the pencil lines in PS and it made it grainy.

Wall mural I did (with the Dolphin lol)

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your time and advice
Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Weaksauce
Corporal

No, I didn't do those. I was pulling examples from the net. Here's a link to a tutorial of how to convert hand sketches into photoshop renderings. It's automotive, but you can apply the same principles to any subject matter.
http://husseindesign.deviantart.com/...itally-7058328

That mural is pretty neat. Paint is the one medium I really try to avoid. I have a really hard time trying to control it.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Pit Bull Ninja
Private

Thanks for the link. I will definitely check that out.

Yeah paint is a whole new experience and something I have a long way to go on. I am primarily a cartoonist/caracture artist and am most comfortable with pastel/colored pencil, but in my old age my carpel tunnel is making the constant shading, etc. wreak havoc on me.

So I am seeking other mediums that do not require so much pressure and rubbing.. er.. wow that's an entirely different subject out of context. LMAO

Thanks for the compliment. Do you have any links to your art? Would love to see it. I really enjoy the galleries here.. so much talent.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Pit Bull Ninja
Private

Scratch that last request. Found your link in your sig area. Der. See what you get to look forward to when you get older?

Tags
drawing, methodology, techniques