Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 12-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Private

Default lettering

I been wondering if there is any certain way to do lettering.. i been kinda sketching them in lately which has gave me a cool effect.. any thoughts on how i should run my machine or techs i should use or try
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Needs Church
Field Marshal

Default Re: lettering

I will only give one tip for doing lettering and running a machine for this post.
Tip 1) Get an apprenticeship and ask your mentor.
... ( y )
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:01 AM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuff View Post
I been wondering if there is any certain way to do lettering.. i been kinda sketching them in lately which has gave me a cool effect.. any thoughts on how i should run my machine or techs i should use or try
that question doen't make any sense, your sketching om skin? if so, your f@#king retarded

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Old 12-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Jaded Gypsy Tattoo
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingtom View Post
that question doen't make any sense, your sketching om skin? if so, your f@#king retarded
THIS
Old 12-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Private

I have completed my apprenticeship a long time ago and own my own shop.Im trying to pick some brains.I know what my mentor has to say about it..By sketching i mean not going in a hard line at first. You kinda ease your way in.I think i got that from Guy Aitchison Reinventing The Tattoo, its been a few years but pretty sure..
Old 12-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Corporal

Sketching or feathering? I feather all my lines, less dot more line
Old 12-28-2010, 09:36 PM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrayBono View Post
THIS
Really? you had to correct that? i didn't know perfect grammar was a must on a forum.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Jaded Gypsy Tattoo
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingtom View Post
Really? you had to correct that? i didn't know perfect grammar was a must on a forum.
whoa whoa whoa, tom. you need to branch out in your internet message board readership. a quote from someone followed up with just THIS or THIS! or so much THIS, means that you are in total agreement with THIS thing this person just said.

in other words,

i'm with you on this one dude
Old 12-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Private

I sharpie all my lettering onto the skin and line with a single pass then go fade them up and add highlights and a drop shadow. A typical name average size takes about 20min. Fastest way ive found yet, granted if you suck at freehanding custom script then tracing and a stencil is the way to go. Dont go "feathering" in your damn letters. Its a name, not some carefully sculpted line weight used to add depth. Get in, get out, get yo money.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:52 PM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrayBono View Post
whoa whoa whoa, tom. you need to branch out in your internet message board readership. a quote from someone followed up with just THIS or THIS! or so much THIS, means that you are in total agreement with THIS thing this person just said.

in other words,

i'm with you on this one dude
sorry dude, you just have to understand im a retarded asshole hahaha yah im gonna go lick windows now

Tags
lettering