Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 10-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Recruit

Question Mags... Lucky Supply VS. Pulse

Hello all. This is my 1st post & I am hoping you will share your opinions with me to help me make an informed decision.

I'm runnig low on needles and was going to re-order through Mithra but I've been hearing a lot about Pulse & Lucky's needles.

I learned on World Wide... and switched this last year to long tapers from King Pin (for black & grey) and med. tapers through Mithra (for color packing)... I have used curved and reg. weaved mags.

I am wondering how you feel about the following from those who've tried Lucky supply's textured needles & pulse's needles.

1. How do you feel about using textured vs. not textured? Is the healing rougher with the textured needles?
2. Do you feel that pulse's needles pack color in well, even though they're standard taper? Or are the better for grey wash?
3. Curved vs. reg. mags.... your opinion.

Thanks guys!

http://myspace.com/art_4_your_mind
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Field Marshal

Default Re: Mags... Lucky Supply VS. Pulse

the honest truth is I have no idea hahahahaha - I dont order my own needles so Im not even sure what they are ordering??? hahahahah I always adjust my tattooing to the equiptment and try and be flexible, which creates unique and accidental differences in all my pieces - I like to be surprised and roll with it???? make any since?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Field Marshal

ps welcome !
Old 10-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Private

I agree with Brandon. It seems like you're overthinking the whole thing. Long, short taper, curved not curved. If the ink isn't going in well and you figure out that it's your needles, check out different suppliers. I use unimax in nyc. Whether they're good compared to some other brands is beyond me. Good luck
Old 10-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Field Marshal

I think its good to analyze what your doing for sure but I also aggree that you can over do it - try them ALL thats what I say - most places will send you samples.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Recruit

Smile Re: Mags... Lucky Supply VS. Pulse

That totally makes sense... I feel being flexible is real important in being able to progress as an artist. Brandon your response was perfect and just what I needed to hear.

I often wondered if I was over thinking the whole thing.... my mentor loved Worldwide so I learned on those, then switched to Mithra & Kingpin on my own, but I really want to try Pulse & Lucky needles.

I did try those curved mags..... I noticed that it's harder to pack color with the cuved mags, it's also harder to get into corners, they're def. less tramatizing to the skin, but I'm going to stick with the tried and true reg. mags. My color work heals up real nice, so if it ain't broke why fix it.. right? I do want to try Lucky's though, and I just wondered about them because they're textured so my 1st thought is they could be more damaging to the skin... I did contact Lucky and they're sending me some samples of their 7 mags so I will try em and note any differences... I'll let ya guys know how it goes once I get them.

Thanks for the responses guys! Take care,
Michelle
Sacred Soul Tattoo
Renton, WA.
http://www.myspace.com/art_4_your_mind
Old 10-11-2007, 04:48 AM
the cap'm
Corporal

I use luckys

both curved and regular mags
I use em for different techniques. different feeling. different tonal value/textures. I love luckys, they're a good company. ask for some samples
Old 10-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Recruit

I've tried both Lucky's and Pulse and both have great products. If want to try textured mags, lately I’ve been going through premadetattooneedles.com or goodguysupply.com. You have to be a bit more careful with textured mags from what I've noticed...they tend to tear up the skin a bit more so you really have to make sure you don't over work it. The benefit is that they lay down the ink solid in one pass if you use them right. My suggestion (not that my opinion matters much) is to try everything and find out what works for you. For regular needles I like kingpin's stuff. If you're looking for consistent quality I think Cam needles are pretty decent...I don't like them personally because they're soldered so low. I think taper has a huge impact and how and what you're tattooing. I generally use med. tapers for packing color but for grey wash I only use long tapers. Longer the taper the smaller the hole...smoother the blend. The only time I use short tapers is if I'm doing somthing really traditional and I'm trying to get that really grainy peppery look. Short tapers cause alot of trauma though and I'm not the most efficient tattooer out ther so I don't use em much. I don't know if any of this helps or not.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Private

When I started Tattooing i used nothing but Kingpin Premades. I found that thier lining needles aren't so great, but the mags are cool. I have since tried several different supply companies since then.

I ordered from Eikon and was really dissapointed due to the fact that all the magnums I ordered were f@#ked up. The heads were slanted, I could see this perfectly without even using an eye loupe! Its not what I expected from Eikon.

Pulse needles are pretty good, though I find thier 5 rounds are so tight that they are basically 3's.

Right now I've been using needles from needlejig.com. They make some really awesome needles, especially their curved magnums. They also have all sorts of options for premades, like textured mags and such.

Basically all that matters is what works the best for you. Stick with what works and you can't go wrong.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Recruit

Smile Re: Mags... Lucky Supply VS. Pulse

Very true about Kingpin... love thier mags for black & grey but their small grouping liners don't do it for me. King Pin's needles are also slightly textured apprently, I recently noticed on their website they've added the word "textured" to their needle description so I had to call and ask, & Eric says they've always been.

I've always used Mithra & Kingpin but I finally tried Lucky's and Pulse needles....

Lucky mags fly the color in and it cut my time in half even against Mithra's med. tapered larger gauged needles. I used a Pulse & a Lucky 7 mag on the same client the other day using the same machine, technique, etc to note any differences and I felt that Pulse needles put the ink in softer than Lucky's, Mithra's and Kingpin's needles. Pulse needles look like they are made with smaller gauged needles too so that would make sense.

As for the liners.... so far I've been the most impressed with Mithra's liners.... I have some Pulse 5 liners and will be trying them today.

It was cool experimenting, But I def. know what combination works best for me.

Thanks for all the insight guys!

Michelle
Sacred Soul Tattoo
http://www.myspace.com/art_4_your_mind

Tags
lucky, mags, pulse, supply