Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Private

Default New to the site/advice to get re-hired at a shop

Hey everybody,Ive never posted on a site like this,but there is a wealth of info on here and I like the vibe so I wanted in on it. My names Tony and Ive been tattoing for around 3 years,started in a shop in southern cali,had my apprenticeship,tattooed alot of clients,had alot of fun until the owner of the shop,an almost 10 year friend,started doin drugs and accusing me of stealing from him,I think he was paranoid or somethin.( Karma got him in the end,he ended up losing his shop after I left ) I left there,decided after a few months to start again,but out of my house until I found another decent shop. Well its been 2 years+ and I havent found a decent shop in my area,all the guys are way rude and rockstars,and shred my work apart when I show them. So,I continue to stay doing it on the side out of my house,witch I dont want to do. I feel like I can be so much better,and move far along in my career as an artist,but being isolated from most shops ( except for the friends that used to work with me and have since all moved on to other shops and progressed like crazy,leaving me in the dust ) and I get frustrated with it all,so I feel like just staying at home and doing my own thing. Does anyone have some advice for me? I love constructive criticism,and I want to post some of my work/links too to get some feedback.
Thanks
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Zombie Hunter
Corporal

Default Re: New to the site/advice to get re-hired at a shop

Tony, Sounds like your in a situation I too put myself into for similar reasons. All I can say is hit every shop in town, with your portfolio in hand. Start emailing shops in other towns with images from your portfolio in the emails. In this rough economy, be ready to relocate. Remember, We have the best jobs in the world. People pay us money to walk around with our art on them for the rest of their lives. I was talking to a highly respected artist here in the Tampa Bay area last night, and he also pointed out, that if I couldn't find a permenant shop then to look into just doing guest spots and conventions. He told me, if I focused on that, I'd pick up tricks from all kinds of different artists and become a better overall artist and a more well rounded Tattooist. and these days, thats exactly what everyone is looking for. someone well rounded in all forms. From Biomech, to portraits, New School to Traditional, New York styles to L.A. styles to Googly Eyed FL styles like Gunner. Japanese to Tribal. Learn everything you can to make yourself the best artist you can be in each style and Every shop in the planet will be knocking on your door to snatch you up.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Private

Hey thanks for your reply man,its easy to get discouraged for sure,but helpful words are always good. My thing is,on top of really just missing the shop life,and having to work a 9 to 5 in the meantime,I worry about being lumped in with people who scratch people up in their kitchens. I advertise alot,self promote with business cards and alot of word of mouth referrals,but people are very leery of going to a house,and Ive had wanna be "artists" ( I use that term very loosely,scratchers is a better term ) threaten me that theyre turning me into the health department,and it makes me nervous. I see alot of the shop artists on here sayin that the people who do it out of their house are brakin some sort of cardinal rule,but Im honestly just tryin to continue my passion and career in the meantime,and carried all my bbp training and shop etiquette over into another work space is all. Basically,am I wrong here for what Im doin?
Old 07-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Field Marshal

there is a difference between a tattoo artist that is tattooing out of the house.
and someone that tattoos out of their house.

your work, for example is a good place to start.

let's see it!
Old 07-04-2009, 09:16 AM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorblue View Post
there is a difference between a tattoo artist that is tattooing out of the house.
and someone that tattoos out of their house.

your work, for example is a good place to start.

let's see it!
x2

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Old 07-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Private

Ill try these to see if they work...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Painting style
Old 07-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Professional Ass Hat
Corporal

Location: Dawsonville: Where men are men and livestock are nervous.

Dude. I'm really hoping that's residual ink between those toes!
Old 07-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Private

Ha it is,luckily Ive only had a few bad ones,at my old shop. My trick was when I would go to shave the girls foot down ( Yes, a lot of girls just straight up wouldnt do it before they came in lol ) I would squirt my green soap on it and act like I forgot somethin in the next room and let it soak down a minute lol. Some people just dont care about their hygiene that much I guess,its like come on,my face has to be within 12 inches of that b1tc4 for over an hour lol,help a brother out..
Old 07-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Platoon Sargent

edit: way too much info here. Not worth it...

Last edited by Deran; 07-04-2009 at 06:25 PM..
Old 07-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Platoon Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gstomp View Post
Ha it is,luckily Ive only had a few bad ones,at my old shop. My trick was when I would go to shave the girls foot down ( Yes, a lot of girls just straight up wouldnt do it before they came in lol ) I would squirt my green soap on it and act like I forgot somethin in the next room and let it soak down a minute lol. Some people just dont care about their hygiene that much I guess,its like come on,my face has to be within 12 inches of that b1tc4 for over an hour lol,help a brother out..
Alcohol!

No more lessons for today... buy some books, study artwork, and find what will probably be a pretty mediocre shop to work in. While your working don't get all offended if someone criticizes your work. Learn from it.

Tags
rehired, shop, site or advice