Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 01-12-2006, 04:58 AM
Recruit

Default Some newbie questions before getting first tattoo

Warning, this will be long.

I have never had a tattoo and honestly wasn't planning on one...but now I'm curious. I like to research things very well before I jump. I looked over the artwork at your shop and it is quite impressive. I will be wanting a custom tattoo if I even do it all, basically it will be a lineage of the martial arts I study. I'm thinking along the lines of a dragon or bamboo with the names in the lineage in chinese along the sides of the graphic image and small graphic of shaolin temple at the top. Some color would be nice but I'm thinking mostly black/grey. I can get the chinese calligraphy written by friends but I would assume this might add difficulty for the artist...should I be looking for artist very good at doing chinese or is it better to focus on artist style for the graphic?

Most people I know that like tattoos tend to like pain. In that respect I'm a pansy. I would say that for the most part I have a low pain threshold and am highly ticklish. I'm told by a nurse friend this is rather common as people with a low pain threshold tend to be ticklish (tickles are close to pain for the individual). It's rather hard to put pain in terms of levels through typing, but I'm wondering if someone could describe the type of pain. I would expect that it is mostly surface pain but honestly have no clue. Any simple way to test pain to know what to expect and see if I can handle it? From a pain standpoint is it good to find someone fast or does that make much difference?

I tend to work in very professional environments and rarely wear long sleeves. I'm pretty hairy so I'm thinking outside of upper arm is only location feasible. Chinese reduces the amount of characters for names in the lineage idea, but we are still talking 11 generations. Curving around helps to squash total length but ideally I would like to keep the tattoo totally hidden within short sleeves. I don't mind moving up over the shoulder rather than going farther down the arm. I guess this is called a "sleeve" style tattoo.

Lastly is there any advice on what things I need to research BEFORE I start talking to artists. I see references to needle types and such, how much of this do I need to know to communicate effectively? Since it is custom I plan on doing up a sketch and such but in some ways I think it is best to leave some latitude for the artist. So what kinds of things do you like the customer to know solidly and what kinds of things are best left to artistic expression?

I'm only a couple of hours away from Atlanta so I am asking with you guys in mind to do the work. Just like to state this so you know I'm not taking up your time with questions and then going to someone else. I'm probably never going to do more than one (I know a lot say this and do more but I doubt it in my case). For me this isn't about having artwork for others to admire as much as it is for me to describe a very personal love. As it is I would like to keep this somewhat understated so that it isn't totally obvious that it represents martial arts.

Thank you for any assistance.

-Don
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:03 AM
toilet snake
Private

Hey Don, The pain, especially on the arm, is very tolerable. Dont worry about it at all. It is a bit uncomfortable but it is nowhere near painful. The amount of characters you are trying to incorporate sounds like WAY TOO MANY!!! Most of the time one is enough to ruin a design, unless you were getting a tattoo of a scroll or tapestry, but then that would become the tattoo... no temples, dragons, etc..
Finally, start by looking at the artists portfolio. Find the style that most appeals to you and approach that artist about getting the work done.
Hope that helps.
Ted
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, questions, tattoo