Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 05-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Corporal

Default Re: 5 Mags Vs. 7 rounds

for color a 9 mag is the smallest and most common size i use, but i actually like 7mags for black and grey on your average size tattoo, but they cause too much damage for color.(for me)

never used a 5mag, would just use my liner lol.

a long time friend of mine does some sick ass line work with a mag, but it definitily isn't for everyone as i have seen other artists we worked with try to copy him and f*ck sh*t up baaadddddd.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Needs Church
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hordak View Post
I would have thought that using mags and the knowledge about them would be known by all professional tattooers.
During my apprenticeship my mentor tried and tried to get me to pick up on mags. I just couldn't do it. Always felt that my work was better with a round shader,...but I was also only doing small stuff.
Picked up on a mag after I got out and into another shop.
Now when I look back, I dont know what in the hell I was thinking. lol !
... ( y )
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:24 AM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

Quote:
as your first comment was:
"Well I guess we're not as smart or as talented as you!!!"

Well tom maybe not.
I never said I was smarter or better than anyone else.
However the comment I did say is right there for all to read.

And are you seriously sayin that a professional tattooer would not know about mags???
you said it yourself you have seen people line with them (I know aitchison does)
so being a "pro" would it not be safe to think this person would know what the common tools for there trade are?

I made had a post awhile back, a apology thread to nicole and even there you had some smart stuff to say,
is it just you or the way you come off?

It is just my opinion but if your tattooing and do not know how mags work then...
maybe you should ask your mentor, or some of the other people working in the shop

this is just my opinion we are all entitled I suppose
yah i did edit my post, because i dont want to come off ignorant , what im saying (because apparently you dont undersatand) is that not everybody knows everything nor do they HAVE to use their tools in the same manner as everybody else. like lining with a mag. do you know how to line with a mag? if not, well i guess your not as much of a professional as you should be. see how profoundly ignorant that comes off as. all im saying is that some people are taught different, and when they brake away from what they feel as the norm, they might have just a couple of questions. i do understand that not knowing how to use mags is kinda a question that scratchers might ask, but until i know for sure, i like to give some people the benefit of the doubt. there is a guy somewhere in europe, that does ridiculous portrait work, and he only uses rounds, nothing else, i mean this guy is up there with niko and carlton, i wish to god i could remember his name, maybe somebody else here knows who im talking about. but all im saying is when your trying to better yourself there is no such thing as a stupid question, better to find out here than in the skin!!

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Old 05-17-2011, 12:49 PM
^This Guy^
Private

Tom,
Please accept my apology.
After reading your last post, I am now able to see where your coming from.
Sorry for being so quick.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:36 PM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

Quote:
Tom,
Please accept my apology.
After reading your last post, I am now able to see where your coming from.
Sorry for being so quick.
no problem man!!!

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Recruit

I'll use 5 and 7 mags occassionaly. For lettering and stuff like that I just fill with my liner if it isn't real big. For some smaller stuff with tight corners or something I'll use a 9 round. When I do smaller flowers or something that calls for smooth shading I'll use a 5 or 7 mag. I try to use all the tools available to us. It seems to me each has it's purpose and each has it's pros and cons. For the most part though I use 7 liners and 9 or 11 mags.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Recruit

I have used both extensively and I have found that my personal choice is to use a combination of 3 or more machine/needles. I will outline with the tight 7, do smaller lines and details with a 3round, do the bigger shading with a 9M or 11bugpin mag, then go in with the 5M to get to all of the small shading areas I couldn't get with the bigger Mag. I use this set up for big tattoos with long sessions to make it more cost effective. If you you are going for the gold, it's not a big deal to set up another machine and have the right equipment to do it.

Tags
mags, rounds