Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 07-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Private

Default Working on an apprenticeship

Today I just went in to a local tattoo studio for the second time to show my updated portfolio to the artist there He really took the time to go through it with me and critique my work, as well as give me advice on what I needed to work on. He was really impressed and while he said at the moment theres no apprenticeship available he was really urging me to come back with some new work in the near future (He told me a few times to bring my stuff back and even called after me as I was leaving to do so!) It seems really promising.. But of course I need to work more on my drawings! Wish me luck guys that I'll be able to get an apprenticeship in the near future

How long did it take you guys to get your apprenticeship? Did you have to keep going back to the one artist, showing your work, or did you get it another way?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:17 AM
DiQuartel

Default Re: Working on an apprenticeship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowai View Post
Today I just went in to a local tattoo studio for the second time to show my updated portfolio to the artist there He really took the time to go through it with me and critique my work, as well as give me advice on what I needed to work on. He was really impressed and while he said at the moment theres no apprenticeship available he was really urging me to come back with some new work in the near future (He told me a few times to bring my stuff back and even called after me as I was leaving to do so!) It seems really promising.. But of course I need to work more on my drawings! Wish me luck guys that I'll be able to get an apprenticeship in the near future

How long did it take you guys to get your apprenticeship? Did you have to keep going back to the one artist, showing your work, or did you get it another way?
It always takes a while with a good apprenticeship. You have to be ready mentally and financially as well as with your artwork. That, and of course the shop has to have an opening. It sounds like your pretty in once they have room for ya though. I wish you the best of luck with it. My advice is to do your research very well first. Make sure you look into what all they teach you, as some apprenticeships will teach you only the basics, and others will teach you every aspect of the biz.

I hope it works out well for ya man, and we all look forward to seeing your future artwork!
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Private

A Good apprenticeship takes time. I actually looked for a formal apprenticeship for almost 2 years before coming to All or Nothing. You want to make sure that you apprentice at a reputable shop. Definatly take a look at their work, that way you know you are learning from someone who has a lot to teach. Not all apprenticeships are good ones so do be careful that you don't get caught up in a bad shop. Do your research and I'm sure you will land a good one!!! Good Luck bro!
Old 07-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Good Luck with your apprenticeship adventure! IT may take a while, but you'll find the right one, that will work out the best for you!

Good luck man.

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.allornothingtattoo.com
www.vickdogmovie.com
www.strangleholdmerch.com
www.atlantapitbullrescue.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Old 07-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Private

It didn't take long to get the apprenticeship for me, but i feel that i'll be apprenticing forever, forever learning from one great artist to another! i'm really grateful and blessed to be able to do my first apprenticeship here @ All or Nothing!!! i'm really learning a lot. Artists are a fickle bunch, so i know what you're talking about when they say " come back with new artwork "
You just have to keep pushing forward and don't give up.
Good luck man!!!
Old 07-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Private

Thanks guys!

Well I'm interested in this studio because this artist has so far taken the time to go through my work with me, talk to me about how I can improve my work etc He'd also show me samples of tattoos and talk about the colour, shading etc.. He seems to know what he's doing anyway I've heard from people who have been tattooed by him and they all say he's really good. His shop is clean and professional looking and he's really approachable.. So here's hoping those are all good signs!

In contrast another "studio" I've been to was little more than a bikie hang out spot where the tattoo "artist" admitted that he can't draw! (He just copies flash!) Scary..

I think that I wont have to pay for this apprenticeship but I wouldn't be paid either until I can tattoo.. It seems thats the usually the way in Australia.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Private

Yeah no apprentice gets paid here in America either, it's alright cause if your making the best of your apprenticeship, it'll definitely pay in the long run!!!
Good Luck!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Field Marshal

apprenticeship changed my life!

I would be dead or in jail for sure without tattooing saving me - no amount of slavelabor or money is worth that -

priceless.

however the money thing has worked out pretty awesome too hahahahaa!!!!

do an apprenticeship - dont be a scratcher.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:49 AM
Private

Trust me the -last- thing I want to do is mess up my friends with some s&!tty scratch work!!

I want to be an artist, not just someone who goes at it with some ink. Some of the work I've seen is just so amazing and I want to be able to do that one day with someones skin!

I've been working on improving some drawings this week, and finding a proper part-time job to support me while I do an apprentice (Got a teaching position I'm going for, 2 days a week and pays well, heres hoping!)

Tags
apprenticeship, working