Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 07-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Field Marshal

Default Re: Apprenticeship

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJRabbit View Post
I can understand paying Brandon Bond, Bob Tyrrell, Mario Barth, Paul Booth, Chris Garver ect... ect... but some random street shop, it's pretty f@#ked up!!!!!

I know later in life, I will probly teach 1 one day but I didn't pay a dime other then time and got work from my mentor, I feel you have to be able to emurse yourself in their devlopment as an artist, not just in blood and clean way and the right way to do it, anyone can learn that. But if some guy or gal shows me the potential my mentor seen in me i would teach them but i would have to see commitment on their part first. and money definatly dosen't equal Commitment, Most people are in this industry to take a quick buck which is understandable but to make it on the futuar is Crazyness!

What if Sailor jerry made his puples pay???
Would they have even learned to tattoo???
Could you see this industry without Don Ed Hardy, Mike Malone, Zeke Owens, Shangi Kate?? I couldn't but i learned on the west coast
Don't mistake, Sailor Jerry was a smart business man, and if he could make a buck off of it, he would, and did. There was a different set of rules, tattooing wasn't so oversaturated with people walking into a shop wanting to work there. When I started you would get one or two kids wanting to tattoo a year, now, I might get one or two a week. And thats not in a long time period. How many tattooers, apprentice someone only to have them learn to tattoo and open a shop down the road. get em how you can. cash only. my 2 cents.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:04 PM
underwear is optional...
Corporal

see i feel all of you out there in tv land..
i get a guy who comes in here with a pisspoor cheapie sketch book thinking hes gonna be the next big shot.. and then you have the f@#kers who learned in Prison.. who wanna go legit and they have all this attitude.. its like literally ruining how one can learn. i mean its sad when i get 18-21 year old guys who come in here.. then show some effort for like a month.. then get happy and complacent.. and think that they'll pick up a machine.. oh no no my friend.. its not EVEN that easy..

Apprenticeships yes are getting harder and harder to come by these days. and YES youll go home tired and penniless but.. you got the heart? do you have the drive?? the desire?? then it will come..
you dont.. BYE..

just IMO
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Field Marshal

Location: Outside of DENVER Colorado Hiding from Animal Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorblue View Post
Don't mistake, Sailor Jerry was a smart business man, and if he could make a buck off of it, he would, and did. There was a different set of rules, tattooing wasn't so oversaturated with people walking into a shop wanting to work there. When I started you would get one or two kids wanting to tattoo a year, now, I might get one or two a week. And thats not in a long time period. How many tattooers, apprentice someone only to have them learn to tattoo and open a shop down the road. get em how you can. cash only. my 2 cents.
Very True, but when do you think one Experiance wise should teach, Me im seeing these guys with less then 5 years under there belt offering apprenticeships for 3k.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
see i feel all of you out there in tv land..
i get a guy who comes in here with a pisspoor cheapie sketch book thinking hes gonna be the next big shot.. and then you have the f@#kers who learned in Prison.. who wanna go legit and they have all this attitude.. its like literally ruining how one can learn. i mean its sad when i get 18-21 year old guys who come in here.. then show some effort for like a month.. then get happy and complacent.. and think that they'll pick up a machine.. oh no no my friend.. its not EVEN that easy..

Apprenticeships yes are getting harder and harder to come by these days. and YES youll go home tired and penniless but.. you got the heart? do you have the drive?? the desire?? then it will come..
you dont.. BYE..

just IMO
maybe some should just go to a community colledge and take as teaching course. so you can understand how to teach one the trade.

and i would go for the kid that comes into the shop 3 or 4 times a week, gets work hangs out before bringing in his sketch book.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:50 AM
CEO, Reese Cup Corp
Field Marshal

Maybe Dave should cover apprenticeships(Do's and Don'ts) in the next AON DVD!!!! Seems like alot of folks could use the info.

Christopher McCandless
Old 07-31-2009, 07:51 AM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJRabbit View Post
Very True, but when do you think one Experiance wise should teach, Me im seeing these guys with less then 5 years under there belt offering apprenticeships for 3k.
i think its not necessarily the time you have been tattooing anymore because the bar has been upped SO MUCH, but the quality of your work, and understanding of the craft that should dictate. ive worked around people that toss around the age old "i been doing this since you were....whatever" 10, 15 plus years of tattooing, and it looks like they have been tattooing 10 minutes. they talk about how they apprenticed ten different people, and they just add to the mix of weak artists with no idea how to do anything.

quality of work, to me, dictates if you should apprentice..and thats on them.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Field Marshal

I hear you there Man
this chick will remain nameless but denied me a job cause i haven't Tattooed as long as her LMFAO
she said that my LINE WORK WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH "HA CAUSE IM BETTER" shop politics!!

Here is her crap and she is apprenticing 3 at once hummmm can you say hack

9 years my ass

Last edited by SJRabbit; 08-05-2009 at 02:52 PM..
Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Zombie Hunter
Corporal

I don't know, I got mine based off of artwork alone. I walked in with my portfolio so my Girl could get Tattooed. The Owner looked through it, Asked if I Wanted to be a Tattoo Artist, and the next day I had a Mentor. And I was 16. I think he took me on partly because he thought I had talent, and partly out of Boredom though. He never really tattooed anymore, he just kinda ran the shop and spent his days watching the young kids who worked for him run around. But he taught me the basics of tattooing, he taught them to me before he started even teaching his own son.

What he taught me wasn't the best, but I got Broken In properly, and other artists in town that saw it still respect me because they know what I went through to be where I am.

But when I Found my Second mentor, the one who taught me advanced techniques, I got the job because I let him do 3 marathon tattoo sessions on my arm within a month, and he noticed I paid attention to every detail of what he was doing. He brought me on as a graphic artist for the shop at first, and within a week of being there, I was learning more s&!t and Tattooing there as well. Now here I am, and I'm still willing to learn new things from each and every one of you on these boards, and I personally think thats something every artist should look for in an apprentice.

I think the people you choose to teach should be the type of people who will never grow complacent with the quality of art they're putting out, but they should always be hungry for more. If you see a spark in a kids eyes and quality in his portfolio, start talking to him about tattooing, tell him to come hang around for a week or two, If he shows up every single day and happily mops the floors without you teaching him a damn thing yet, then maybe you've found yourself a commited apprentice. I just would hope that the people getting into this industry these days would be the type of people who in 15 years make all of us look like hacks.

Edit: Correction, Makes all of the work we're doing Today look like it was done by Hacks.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Field Marshal

very well said but the new generation wants it now and cant wait and hold off like we did, they wanna buy a machine off ebay and think they will be the next kat on skeezzy overnight.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Zombie Hunter
Corporal

I know, it's unfortunate how these Chinese "Kits" are really f@#king s&!t up. Well, quality artists won't hire people like that, so it won't matter what they try, their careers will be short lived, and may end with a bullet if they piss off the wrong person.

Last night at the Bar someone sold me out as being a Tattoo Artist to some douche who decided to come over and tell me about how I should Tattoo him for Free because he could hook me up with his buddy who's a "Freelance" artist who goes to peoples houses and tattoos them. I stopped him right there and informed him that his friend was not Freelance, he was a Scratcher, and what he was doing is Dangerous and Illegal. He then proceeded to tell me how this useless waste of scum keeps everything clean, he microwaves bleach water till it boils and then soaks everythng in it, he then began to argue with me that he was the best tattoo artist in the city and noone around here could touch him, i walked away, he followed, thought he'd be cute and pull out his butterfly knife and a set of Brass Knuckles for talking s&!t about "His Boy" whom i'm now sure was just himself, he tried to kick in my car window, and needless to say, he rode home in an ambulence.

I guess the moral of the story, Don't f@#k with real Tattoo Artists, We've Got Guns, and even when they're not loaded we know how to hurt you with them.

anyway, back to my point, The state of this industry now is f@#king sad. and I'm back to looking for a shop in Tampa because My move up north is in jeoperdy thanks to my old lady's twat of a Boss.

Tags
apprenticeship