Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 08-10-2008, 11:06 PM
www.JohnDameArt.com
Corporal

Default hawk tattoo machine

i want to know what ecatly people think about the hawk.

Right now i am using neumas and i HATE the way the things line and the compressor.....to much of a damn hassle for me.

but

ive noticed that the hawks cartriges are 50.00 for 10 of them.

is that even worth it? cause im really interested in seeing how well the thing works..

and also, if anyone has used it what do they do about the cleanliness of the grips.

thanks
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Private

Default Re: hawk tattoo machine

id love to give it a try, but im not gonna spend money on it yet.

my gripes are... the tips are expensive, and it comes with 1 tube
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace Masula View Post
id love to give it a try, but im not gonna spend money on it yet.

my gripes are... the tips are expensive, and it comes with 1 tube
i second that motion!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:48 AM
Corporal

I third that.

$50 for 10 needle cartridges (and shipping to Hawaii is just plain ridiculous)

but man it looks awesome!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Field Marshal

i still learn new things everyday about my standard tattoo machine. I am stoked on that, and how changing variables (ie spring thickness, a bar weight, coil size, etc) make a machine run different. it seems like a neuma would make it impossible to run a machine any other way than how its really set. i heard you can change stroke somehow? dunno. only thing i heard is that they heal light and patchy and you have to make many passes. only positives i have really heard is that artists that are already very good at tattooing, use them and make them look like a magic tool, which i am willing to bet they are not. i dunno.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:46 AM
Private

i can't speak to the hawk, but there is nothing magic about neumas.

they are nice and light. THAT is their shining attribute.

air compressors as a power source sucks.

at least the hawk uses compact and clean electricity, but the costs involved seem ridiculous.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Recruit

no way to change stroke length on neumas. just more needle hanging out. not adjustable. the weight does seem to be the advantage. havent seen anything done with neumas yet that cant be done with an electromagnetic coil machine. If someone can prove me wrong, I am always open to hearing about it though.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Field Marshal

linear rotaries are real similar to the neuma's in how they tattoo i gotta pick me up one, just trying to find one of good quality before i buy another and tear it apart into a shag style one off

I've seen a german piece of engineering that looks and works just like the hawk but uses standard needle bars and tubes might be worth a look all cnc milled aluminum, real lightweight... i'll post a link if i can find it again...
Old 08-14-2008, 09:08 PM
www.JohnDameArt.com
Corporal

yeah i use neumas right now and im noticing about the patchyness, thats why im slowly ordering coils again, just got a infinite iron (tattooer shader) and im still waiting on a cory rogers liner...as a matter of fact, i need to call him again....anyway. also on really dark skinned people, it downt do aswell as a coil...too light and also making the manager start thinking its me. gonna be up on ebay soon hehe. the only thing i like was that they were light but the needle stroke and the sloppiness of the needle bar Design is too much...
Old 08-15-2008, 02:49 AM
Recruit

Infinite irons are the s&!t. I own 2

Tags
hawk, machine, tattoo