Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Private

Default Re: smoother shading techniques

i love black and gray and i have a dringenberg p3 that danny set up for just that. it is a little pricey but this is a tool of the trade so u cant put a price on that. it is the best by far black and gray machine i have ever used and it is the ONLY machine i use for black and gray pieces. call them and he will ask you what type of needles u use the most and set it up just for that. like i said it was a little pricey but worth every penny. as far as running your machine fast, real nice black and gray takes time to do so turn ur machine way down and it will give u the smooth blends that u are looking for. i also recently switched to talons and make all of my own washes. it gives u the best look u could possibly want out of a black and gray tattoo..it took my work to another level.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Private

Curved BugPin Magnums, 9's, 13's or 17's.

Set your machine to run at a lower voltage, ie: 3v-5v

I run a large gap between my contact point on both liner and shader.

I run my shader just high enough to push my hand against the A-Bar and slightly slow the machine down, any faster and your blends wont be as smooth and you can chew up the skin.

Use your rinse cup alot, a slight dip into water when transitioning tones or fades can help smoothen them out and blend together.

Dont be scared to go back over the areas if darker is needed, use black and white with your base colors for deeper or lighter tones.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:57 AM
that guy
Private

One thing I have seen a lot of in recent years due to the trend in pre-diluted black inks, is that a lot of new tattooers don't shade anymore. There is a sort of coloring mentality with different ratios of water/black. Nothing can replace good technique. Work on hand motions with the lighter mix ratios and develop good shading technique. After a bit of practice you should be able to get smooth transition from black to skin with straight uncut black.

Fast machine allows for smooth softer shading with fast hand motions and none of the choppy look that comes with fast hand motions and a slow machine. Tuning your machine soft and turning the voltage down to the point the machine bogs a little will allow just about anything you want to do with it.

In the end it comes down to feel though. No amount of info passed along on the internet will give you the look you're after without practice and gaining a feel for the skin.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Recruit

I just recently purchased an FK Irons AL13 Proton, this machine is exellent!! its kind of heavy, but other than that, i really enjoy the freedom I have with this machine. So far soft tones havent been a struggle. A great $500 investment!!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Recruit

I tattooed in Indianapolis for years and have seen a lot of Joshua Carlton's work come into the shops I worked at. He is a great tattoo artist! I also worked with Monte for a couple years in Indy. I'd rather get tattooed by him than JC. As for Joshua C's machines....I've never owned one...but for years I've seen nothing but negative reviews about them on the forums. I don't think I've ever seen a single good review.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Recruit

I've really been enjoying the consistency and accuracy of my Hyper Stigma Rotary machine for black n grey work. It's easy to slow it down and get detailed although there was a bit of a learning curve. Another thing I like to use is 11 long taper bugpin needle groupings, smaller dots left by smaller needles make for finer details. The long taper bugpins go into and come out of the skin easier leaving less trauma. I'm thinking about buying a Cheyenne Hawk but I have heard mixed reviews of it. Any comments?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Recruit

Hi Guys,

Need info on best type of needle shader for Tribal tats.

Thanks.

Tags
shading, smoother, techniques