Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 04-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Recruit

Default Tattoo bruising, What are causes and what should I do?

Hey everyone, I did a tattoo for one of my friends last weekend and he recently sent me a picture of it and it looks like it's bruising pretty bad. Can anyone tell me the cause of this and what he should keep doing to make it heal properly? Also when this tattoo was finish we put a and d ointment on it but forgot to wrap it before he left, would this be the cause of this major bruising or is this normal? Thanks in advance Im not sure how I can upload pictures on here cant seem to find the attach link???. Thanks
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Recruit

Default Re: Tattoo bruising, What are causes and what should I do?

Okay okay before and after piics, also im a beginner artist.

Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Corporal

those bruises are what we call blowouts. not wrapping the tattoo wouldn't cause that. it also appears that you over worked it a lot and that you went too deep.

sometimes you can get lucky and after it heals it can be barely noticable. but this one is going to need fixing.

and while that tattoo is healing globbing on that a&d or vasoline isn't helping it . i would tell him to stop using it and switch to only applying small amounts of cocoa butter lotion.

blowouts are normally cause by either going way too deep or by holding your machine at too much of a angle, or by simply "pooling" the ink by staying in one spot too long or moving way too slow. these are common rookie mistakes,just need to tightin up a bit.

Last edited by lozer81; 04-15-2011 at 09:22 AM..
Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Recruit

Thanks a lot Lozer81, I really appreciate your reply.

This tattoo was my third tattoo that I've done, another learning piece. My first two didn't get a blow out, I did overlap this piece up many times over and and over again.

So how long would you say this would take to heal? Also with a and d ointment and vasoline should it only be used for the first few days after tattooing, then after that just use lotion?

Thanks again
Old 04-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Corporal

yeah i tell people that if they use a&d at all to just use for a day or so, then switch to a lotion like freagence free cocoa butter or a water based freagence free lotion.

a&d can smother the skin not allowing it to breathe, and your tattoo could literally sweat the ink out. vasoline shouldn't be used at all in the healing process.

i'd say about 3-4 weeks till its fully healed. after its healed you could hide the blowouts with minor shading inside the piece,like just go along the border of the entire inside of the outline with some shading.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Platoon Sargent

unbelievable....
Old 04-17-2011, 11:14 AM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

this is why i tell people to get apprenticeships, but like always nobody f@#king listens

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Old 04-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Platoon Sargent

Dude IS getting an apprenticeship, he comes here to get answers to questions he has about technique and obviously people will answer if you ask......I can't believe it honestly......People are going to do what they want, against the grain and all...and just come here to get answers to any question they may have....as long as there's places to get equipment without being a professional, people are going to do what they want, and as long as there's artists out there that are willing to answer ANY question from anybody with a machine, the ball is gonna keep rolling.....in the "f@#k apprenticeships" direction.....
Old 04-17-2011, 04:07 PM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

i dont think that apprenticeships are the only route, but when you look at the time spent on trial and error, you will be years behind of somebody who got an apprenticeship from a good mentor, which is why i tell people to get an apprenticeship, but whatever, hack away with your meat grinder

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Platoon Sargent

Tags
bruising, tattoo