Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 05-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Corporal

Default which is the king of rotaries?

im a coil man myself, but have been really considering rotaries here lately, im thinking about either a bishop or a neo-tat, but now theres many good rotaries all with different advantages and disadvantages,like for instance:

hyper stigma- great but expensive and long waiting period

neuma hybrid new- wayyyy louder winding sound,has to slow down before stopping.

neo-tat - linear ... very quiet,uses clip to avoid whole rubber band thing, but has no give

bishop- linear.....also has clip elimating rubber bands, seems to be the best bet to me at the moment.

dragonfly- awesome looking machine,but the mechanism pushing against the needlebar can put too much pressure on it and slowing down/wearing out the motor more,or so i hear.

hawk- heard bad things about, cartridges costs way too much

swashdrives-im totally clueless about.

fly- also totally clueless.

so, which one is the absolute best? i know they are all great machines, and that great tattoo artist can do great work with anything, but im trying to figure out which one is the best buy for my next purchase.

im leaning towards a bishop or a neo-tat,also considering the dragonfly.

i seen people buy the cheap crap ones on teh ebay, but i wouldn't buy one of them for a paper weight.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:37 PM
www.JohnDameArt.com
Corporal

Default Re: which is the king of rotaries?

PERSONALLY

Neuma or stigma. those are my two favorites. by far. aswell as the dragonfly

www.JohnDameArt.com
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Platoon Sargent

Dude I dont know how pressed you are about getting a rotary but FK Irons is about to drop one....I did a little write up about it on this site....its got an available spring kit for it so it can achieve a "coil like" give......I dont know much about rotaries but, FK Irons always seems to have some really good machines....I think its worth the wait.....JMO....
Old 05-10-2011, 10:52 AM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

the only rotary i have ever used was the gen 7 swashdrive, and i wanted to steal it from my boss, i loved the s&!t out of that thing. no give on it though, but that was kinda the good thing about it, because you know that that s&!t is getting in there!!!

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Old 05-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Private

I don't think there's an absolute best. A lot of it depends on your technique and how YOU tattoo.

I've used Neuma n2, Rotary Works, Stealth, Hawk, and 3 different stigmas (hyper v1, v2 and Bizarre) and for me personally the Hawk wins hands down. It's the only machine I use now since getting it and the first rotary I've liked lining with!
I do think you either love or hate the cartridges, and I personally love them. especially the liners from t-tech.

The FK machine looks good though and I would love to try a dragonfly, but I'm moving away from machines with "Give" really.. I don't think it's needed. It just requires a different technique.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:20 AM
Private

I'm using one of those crap 12 dollar eBay specials and am surprisingly loving it!!! I'm sure it will only last a month or less but at this price its disposable, who cares.. when it does sh!!t the bed I will invest in a real one.. I totally recommend buying one if you're interested in seeing what the hype is all about without potentially wasting a bunch of money....
Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErniE View Post
I'm using one of those crap 12 dollar eBay specials and am surprisingly loving it!!! I'm sure it will only last a month or less but at this price its disposable, who cares.. when it does sh!!t the bed I will invest in a real one.. I totally recommend buying one if you're interested in seeing what the hype is all about without potentially wasting a bunch of money....
I too have been interested in rotaries. I initially got one of those cheapo ones from China just to try out, and really liked it til it started smoking on me! So I trashed that one (and fortunately got my massive refund of $12.99). I also tried a Jackhammer - not too impressed with that. Then I found a machine builder who took a swashdrive gen 2 clone, upgraded the motor and retrofitted it with an RCA adapter, and it works like a dream! So now that I'm hooked on rotaries for shading and color, I'm also thinking about upgrading to something even better now, that is similar to what I've been using lately. So I'm with the originial poster - trying to decide what would be the best for me. I'm still using my Mickey Sharpz for lining, so I'm not completely ready to give up coils just yet! It just depends on what I am using it for.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Corporal

well, how about that swashdrive whip? that seems to be badass, im thinking this may be my next machine now.

Tags
king, rotaries