Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 07-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Private

Default Apprenticeship

I've been to 6 different local shops looking for an apprenticeship. They have all told me different things, as far as what an apprenticeship requires and what my shop duties would be, all that good stuff.

Anyway, if I'm looking for an apprenticeship, what should I be asking for, and what does that really entail?

Basically, what should I do? And what should the shop provide?

Any information about a decent apprenticeship I would like to know.

Thank you,
Ryan Heisel
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:22 AM
Platoon Sargent

Default Re: Apprenticeship

Use the search, Luke. This has all been over a million times. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Platoon Sargent

In short, go to a shop that isn't demanding payment from you. Those people won't teach you a thing. Second, don't expect to get paid. this is school for you. You'll work for free for a year or so, doing b1tc4 work, but you have to do it. In turn they'll teach you how to tattoo.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Field Marshal

thats not entirely true about charging. I was under the impression that AON apprenticeships don't come free. But, generally...I could see where you are going with that and how usually it does lead to a loss of money and no knowledge.

Anyway: Find a shop whose work you admire. I don't neccesarily think throwing your line out to as many shops as possible is the right approach. Where do you think you will learn the most? No doesn't always mean no. Keep trying. This should be a shop that you are GETTING TATTOOED AT. Get tattooed, keep asking. Get tattooed, beg to sweep the floor.
you'll get it right. tattooing chooses its own.

now to answer your question with questions:

do you have a portfolio of art? can you draw? are you an artist? do you have a portfolio that blows away most of the tattooers in town? do you have tattoos? Why do you want to be a tattoo artist?
if you dont have good answers: don't do it. be a doctor, a lawyer, a comedian, a policeman, a fireman, make your mom proud instead!

goodluck

Last edited by conorblue; 07-27-2009 at 07:39 AM..
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deran View Post
In short, go to a shop that isn't demanding payment from you. Those people won't teach you a thing..
this is inaccurate information.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Private

I do have a portfolio. I can draw. It's definately impressive to the couple that have seen it. I have several tattoos. I'm just fascinated in every aspect of tattooing.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Platoon Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRANDON BOND View Post
this is inaccurate information.
9 out of 10 times it is. I don't know if you guys charge but you obviously do well in teaching your guys, plus you have a name so I'm sure you have a ton of demand, so it wouldn't really apply to you. But for the most part, those shops just looking to make money off an apprentice don't really care if they learn or not.

If I had a shop, I'd be more interested in artistic talent. Charging just weeds out people that don't have a lot of money. It's not a fair way of finding a good artist, IMO. I just can't think of a logical reason for making "having money" a requirement for an apprenticeship. I haven't been around very long though. Basically if you're an 18 year old kid, you better have rich parents are you're screwed.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:27 AM
MakingInsanityFunSince'83
Field Marshal

Question Re: Apprenticeship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deran View Post
9 out of 10 times it is. I don't know if you guys charge but you obviously do well in teaching your guys, plus you have a name so I'm sure you have a ton of demand, so it wouldn't really apply to you. But for the most part, those shops just looking to make money off an apprentice don't really care if they learn or not.

If I had a shop, I'd be more interested in artistic talent. Charging just weeds out people that don't have a lot of money. It's not a fair way of finding a good artist, IMO. I just can't think of a logical reason for making "having money" a requirement for an apprenticeship. I haven't been around very long though. Basically if you're an 18 year old kid, you better have rich parents are you're screwed.
Exactly how much do the shops you're talking about charge for an apprenticeship????
Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Platoon Sargent

There are shops around here "seeking apprentices" on craigslist that want 3-5 grand.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Field Marshal

Location: Outside of DENVER Colorado Hiding from Animal Control

I can understand paying Brandon Bond, Bob Tyrrell, Mario Barth, Paul Booth, Chris Garver ect... ect... but some random street shop, it's pretty f@#ked up!!!!!

I know later in life, I will probly teach 1 one day but I didn't pay a dime other then time and got work from my mentor, I feel you have to be able to emurse yourself in their devlopment as an artist, not just in blood and clean way and the right way to do it, anyone can learn that. But if some guy or gal shows me the potential my mentor seen in me i would teach them but i would have to see commitment on their part first. and money definatly dosen't equal Commitment, Most people are in this industry to take a quick buck which is understandable but to make it on the futuar is Crazyness!

What if Sailor jerry made his puples pay???
Would they have even learned to tattoo???
Could you see this industry without Don Ed Hardy, Mike Malone, Zeke Owens, Shangi Kate?? I couldn't but i learned on the west coast

Tags
apprenticeship