Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Scott Barriger
Corporal

Default Tattooing the head.

I have a client that wants me to tattoo his head. I have never done this before and am not sure I want to. If any of you have done this before I would appreciate some feedback as to what to expect. I still havent decided if I am even going to do it. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks- Scott
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Platoon Sargent

Default Re: Tattooing the head.

i havnt done too much tattooing on peoples heads. but i have done a couple. i really didnt find it much different than tattooing anywhere else. except you dont have to stretch the skin so much. it sometimes makes an unpleasant sound though. i would say go for it.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Scott Barriger
Corporal

HAHA unpleasant sound huh? i guess i just figured with the skin being so tight itd be like tattooing an elbow or kneecap, which im not a fan of lol
Old 01-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Corporal

I've done a few head pieces and they're not that bad. Just make sure you get a good close shave. The hair on a head is a real pain in the ass compared to the rest of the body. Other than that, tattoo. You won't be stretching near as much, and you may want to work a bit lighter on the skin given there's skull behind every last bit of skin. You'll get it once your in there.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Field Marshal

i've done a bunch and am currently about to do another next week. it's pretty basic, beware of overworking the skin. other than that, it's easy. yeah, the top of the dome makes this cool hollow sound if the client doesn't have a fat head. tell the client to open and close his mouth when you hear the noise, it'll change pitch, it's funny as hell and everyone gets a good laugh out of it.

when i was a teenager, i watched bam bam bigelow get some of his flames colored in by gene benardo, he passed out in about ten minutes. RIP Scott (Bam Bam) Bigelow. he was a good friend and will be missed.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Private

Its a pretty easy area to do! Not unlike doing an ankle where the skin is tight and you can get a little spread so take it easy, but other than that its a nice area to do cos its stretched already!

Noisy for the customer though
Old 01-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjaywymbs View Post
yeah, the top of the dome makes this cool hollow sound if the client doesn't have a fat head. tell the client to open and close his mouth when you hear the noise, it'll change pitch, it's funny as hell and everyone gets a good laugh out of it.
Hahahah...I gotta try that s&!t, that sounds like fun.
I've never tattooed a head before, but I figured it would be pretty much the same except for the skin being thin and easy to blow out.

Good luck Scott, send me a picture when and if you do it...from what you said on the phone earlier, it sounds like it might be a fun piece to do.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Corporal

Man, I hate that hollow sound! It's creepy as f@#k.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:13 AM
Corporal

very funny sound, like testing a melon for ripeness, the head is odd, done a bunch of em, watch out for blow outs, over working because the skin is stretched so it's easy to over work, on the harder spot, stipple then sculpt the lines, it'll last longer trust me, then slap the bastard, that makes a funny noise too and everyone will get a better laugh
Old 01-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Field Marshal

then slap the bastard, that makes a funny noise too and everyone will get a better laugh[/QUOTE]

hahahaha, that one actually made me laugh out loud

Tags
head, tattooing