Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Member: Old School
Private

Default Guest artists?

Alright y'all, this is for both shop owners and artists:

Owners: How do you treat your guest artists? What do you expect from them?

Artists: What do you expect when you do a guest spot?

I know how I treated my guests, and how I expect to be treated. Just curious what y'all think.

Thanks, and hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Platoon Sargent

Default Re: Guest artists?

I'm also curious. I'm still pretty new to the industry but I plan to take full advantage of the opportunities to do some traveling once I get a few years in.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Field Marshal

I can't believe that someone would ask of me the same percentage I make when I am at home. Especially if I am bringing my own clients. For walkins I think a percentage is fair...60 percent and up...but as far as if you have your own appointments set...i guess it depends on how well you know the person, but i cant see any more than giving a 20 percent cut to the house on that one.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Private

60%, wow I wanna go to your guest spots!, I give 50%, but I go above and beyond, cuz I'm usally paying for a hotel, some food, and helping with supplys. But after the last guest, I had I may never take another, lil Rockstar thought I ought to give him 100%, and re - emburse him for any supplies he's was out, then demanded that he be first in rotation, no matter who was up.
he lasted about 5 minutes, we waited till he got everything unpacked and set up, before we told him to f@#k off, it was fun watching the hurt look on his face as packed his s&!t.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Corporal

I have all my own supplies(disposable Tubes not metal) and so on,about 4 yrs experience, License, and a calm demeanor. My Tattoos...well i like to let other judge me so far...im not usually one to brag(even if i had a reason) but... my Question: is it not uncommon to have a shop only offer u 40%?
I am curious i hav never went to any other shops to do spots or work yet so i dont kno things i should probably kno and my boss never around and lives mor than 1 hour away and doesnt really tell me sh_t(Street Smarts on Tattooing). Iv been in other shops to see wut their like and i have talked about it with others but HERE is probably one of the best places to get Feedback on such things since we r all into this headlong and many of u have so much knowledge to share.

I guess a GOOD Question would be "Wut wisdom could anyone give about going out and trying to get into another shop/s without going in naive and ignorant???

Last edited by Jayrahn; 11-03-2008 at 02:47 PM..
Old 11-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrahn View Post
I have all my own supplies(disposable Tubes not metal) and so on,about 4 yrs experience, License, and a calm demeanor. My Tattoos...well i like to let other judge me so far...im not usually one to brag(even if i had a reason) but... my Question: is it not uncommon to have a shop only offer u 40%?
I am curious i hav never went to any other shops to do spots or work yet so i dont kno things i should probably kno and my boss never around and lives mor than 1 hour away and doesnt really tell me sh_t(Street Smarts on Tattooing). Iv been in other shops to see wut their like and i have talked about it with others but HERE is probably one of the best places to get Feedback on such things since we r all into this headlong and many of u have so much knowledge to share.

I guess a GOOD Question would be "Wut wisdom could anyone give about going out and trying to get into another shop/s without going in naive and ignorant???
It really might depend on your area what the standard % is but in my experience most places have ussually started new hires at 50%. If you are really looking to get out of your shop and feel like you could do better just get out there. If your work is any good and you seem cool a shop will want to get you so they wont be offering you bulls&*%t deals. If you get the feeling you are being d#$ked around or that a shop is being cheap or trying to con you that is a bad sign and you wouldnt want to work there anyway. My best advice at figuring this out is to just talk to as many shops as you can, that way you can compare your experiences and information. Go through the phone book and just start checking them out. Just make sure you are def ready to leave the nest because word will travel especially if you are just looking to move locally
Old 11-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Corporal

Guest spots are sooo different wherever you go. First things first, humble yourself. You're not as good as you think you are so shut up. Secondly if some one comes to your house and trashes it you'd whoop their ass. Shop life is home life, I pretty much live at a shop, my house is my second house. Communicate with the shop you guest spot at way before you go there and feel out who you'll be working with. Otherwise you'll be a long way from home and miserable. Ask them what you need to bring, if you take your inks and needles on the air lines your s&!t will be f@#ked with and not restored or re sterilized for you, most importantly humble yourself you're not as good as you think you are, shut up, no one likes a d**k head!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Corporal

What to expect out of a guest artist? All of the previous, plus offer the poor bastard a place to stay. You're trying to help each other out and grow in the industry, and maybe he'll invite you to his home town and you'll have a place to stay. If he's a complete ass pee in his inks and send him packing hahahahah.

Tags
artists, guest