Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Recruit

Default how deep do they go......??

Hi everybody!! I am Patrick from Austria (far, far away ) so please be gentle with me, because my english isnīt that good!!
I am tattooing at least for 7 Months!! So i still have to learn a lot!! For that reason i bought some dvdīs!! all of them are about Portraits und realism stuff!!
Yesterday i Saw the DVD from Nikko Hurtado! And sometimes it looks that he was just touching the skin with the needle!! but how could that be!? I mean the colour was in the skin!! And it looks really bright and so on!! But i always thought that you have to reach a specific depth, so that the colour can sty forever in the skin!? but on some dvdīs it really looks like they are using a feather!? Maybe someone here do also some realism stuff an can tell me something about it!
greeting Patrick
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Needs Church
Field Marshal

Default Re: how deep do they go......??

Seek an apprenticeship !
You will not find the answers to the questions you are asking on this site.
Please do not say that you can not find an apprenticeship,..cause there are great tattoo artists in Austria.
If you are tattooing now, without guidance,...STOP and seek an apprenticeship !
... ( y )
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Recruit

hey thanks for your answer! I already have an apprenticeship!! I know that there are nice artists in Austria!! Do you know some austrian artists!?
I also shadet alreadya tattoo!! So i know how! But i never tried a realism or Portrait!!? And on the DVD of some artists i think i looks that they are rally just touching the skin!! thats why i asked!!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Jaded Gypsy Tattoo
Corporal

you need WAY more experience in just general tattooing before you even venture into portraits
Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Platoon Sargent

IMO.............., its Nikko Hurtado bro, he's an extremely talented pencil artist and tattooist, and that technique your explaining in your post, has been developed over the years over and over and over again......and quite honestly would be very hard for you or anyone else to emulate. I'm not trying to be an asshole but I think your mentor needs to be smacked, for letting you test the waters on portrait shading and techniques so soon.....might want to go look for a better apprenticeship...and stop worrying about portrait work so soon.....if you can't get a cartoon character or a simple tattoo design to look smooth when it comes to shading and/or coloring than portraits are out of question right now, might want to give it a try one or two years from now you might be ready and have your own techniques by that time.........JMO
Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Recruit

I wouldnīt do any Portraits!! I think you understand me in a wrong way!! I leraned Tattooin 3 Years ago!! ANd 7 Months ago i did my first one on a customer!!
I know that i takes a lot of time and praxis to do a portrait!! I only asked a question!: do this Techniq og Hurtado and others, need aanother depth!? I know how deep you can go without producing a blowout or beeing to light!! So I do know the basics!! but i think everyone wants to learn!! And thatīs why i asked!! A friend of mine starts his Tattoocareer with a Portrait!! And he did amazing works!! here are some examples: http://www.toms-tattooworld.at/Benjis-Tattoos/
and this bro starts tattooing about 3-4 years agooo!!amazing!!?
an he still didnīt like to do a outline
So mybe some people here missunderstand my question!! I am not a pro , but also not a stupid guy who bought a machine an calls hisself a artist!!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Platoon Sargent

Well, Nikko Hurtado is very skilled, and that technique had to take him YEARS to develop Im sure.....never saw the DVD but it most be one extremely light stroke he's producing............didnt mean to shake anything up,...........there's alot of red flags that go off in your posts, that make me think that your a scratcher not saying that you are, but I think being surrounded by other artists in your studio that may be seasoned enough to perform portraits, (it seems that your buddy"Tom" could help you with this question) could help you out with, the certain technique your asking about.......first you say you've been tattooing 7 month, then you say you had an apprenticeship, then you say your not a pro........even if your not a scratcher, those few comments don't look good in your defense.......get an apprenticeship bro its the only way...

Last edited by Frek; 03-16-2011 at 01:05 PM..
Old 03-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Needs Church
Field Marshal

I think we might have a language barrier here.
If you have completed an apprenticeship,.. I apologize !
No offense, but you will more than likely need to have more than 3 posts on this forum before anyone would talk about this with you.
Please feel free to post up some pictures of some of your work,..we will be more than happy to give you some critiques on how to better your work.
However,.. when it comes tattooing realism you should make sure that you have all of the basic's down before you try it.
... ( y )
Old 03-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner85 View Post
Hi everybody!! I am Patrick from Austria (far, far away ) so please be gentle with me, because my english isnīt that good!!
I am tattooing at least for 7 Months!! So i still have to learn a lot!! For that reason i bought some dvdīs!! all of them are about Portraits und realism stuff!!
Yesterday i Saw the DVD from Nikko Hurtado! And sometimes it looks that he was just touching the skin with the needle!! but how could that be!? I mean the colour was in the skin!! And it looks really bright and so on!! But i always thought that you have to reach a specific depth, so that the colour can sty forever in the skin!? but on some dvdīs it really looks like they are using a feather!? Maybe someone here do also some realism stuff an can tell me something about it!
greeting Patrick
There could be several factors for why it looks like he just barely touches the skin and it looks nicely saturated. It could be hes layering the ink in multiple passes or the ink itself just flys in.....his machines and the way they are tuned makes a huge difference in technique.....the needles make a difference ,ie taper, configuration, how loose or tight they are. All these things make a difference but so does experience doing a lot of tattoos and getting familiar and comfortable with the equipment that use. You will find your own technique in time. Btw let me apologize for all the self righteous douche bags that could only answer your question by demanding that you get an apprenticeship before they will tell you the obvious......there is no magic formula.....what works for Nikko may not actually work for you.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Platoon Sargent

Thats been repeated twice already but thanks for the third there guy.....Cheerz........SMH...

Tags
deep