Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 06-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Corporal

Default working with newly tattooed hands

I recently got my hand tattooed. A gnarly ass shark. My question is, how in the hell do you keep it safe while nonstop gloving, de gloving, washing hands and whatnot. Basically tattooing. I've been wrapping my hand in paper towels, then I get my apprentice to take me up like a boxer. from there, it seems to take the friction off of the hand. My only worry is working for a long period of time and sweat building up on the tattoo. I've been working as little as possible, but I still have to make a living and I really don't wanna f@#k up this work. Any suggestions????
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Private

Default Re: working with newly tattooed hands

Well, I don't have my hands tattooed, but I did the same sort of thing that you're doing when I got work on my inner wrist and inner forearm. My right forearm got pretty f@#ked up one time though, like a dumbass, I wrapped it in plastic, taped it on and tattooed for like 3-4 hours...after I took the plastic off, I had nasty grey goo dripping from it and it was swollen like crazy. Hurt like hell for days after that and some of my grey shading and black work came out.
Ever since then, I've just been wrapping them in non-stick bandages, taping 'em down and gloving up over them.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Field Marshal

the exact reason i'm waiting to get my hands done... i'm gonna try and schedule it to where i can take a week off afterwards to let em heal up

i agree with james, telfa and tape... avoid long extended hours with gloves on to keep the sweat down, the telfa will soak it up but you don't want a sweat soaked bandage sitting too long either.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Corporal

the paper towel method I've been using works quite.well. I've been avoiding long sessions and if I get caught in a situation where i've gotta tattoo for longer than an hour i'll take a break every 45 minutes or so. It's almost done peeling now. Thank god. I appreciate the advice, though. This forum is great for sharing info.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Private

With mine I just cleaned it after wearing gloves and it heaked well plus its a hand its gonna need a touch up.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogar24 View Post
With mine I just cleaned it after wearing gloves and it heaked well plus its a hand its gonna need a touch up.
same with me. i didnt have the luxury at that time to take much time off...so i just continued tattooing...just made sure to wash it off afterwards. look fine.

Tags
hands, newly, tattooed, working