Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 04-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Platoon Sargent

Default Re: HOW TO GET AN APPRENTICESHIP... (PLEASE STICKY THIS!)

Just whatever you do....be disciplined and wait it out till you find a studio that both you and owner mesh well together as well as the other artist and learn all you can BEFORE you start thinking about touching a machine........at the end you'll be happy you waited I can almost guarantee it...Good Luck....
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Recruit

Talking Re: HOW TO GET AN APPRENTICESHIP... (PLEASE STICKY THIS!)

Enlightening!

I haven't had time to read through all of these yet, but from what I've gleaned there was definitely a TON of useful info.

I've had a ridiculous amount of drawing to this profession, ever since I was just a tyke, and it's only grown more and more. I am constantly looking at new and old tattoos, sketching up numerous designs on my down time, and have finally gotten to the point where 1)hopefully I can afford a good apprenticeship and 2)can afford to back myself for supplies and the like.

My biggest question I guess would be, while searching for just the right apprenticeship, would purchasing a gun or two or a starter kit and practicing on fake skin be a worthwhile approach? How does fake skin compare to the actual act of applying ink to the real deal?

I've always been incredibly detail oriented when it comes to art and I know that I can become a good, if not great, tattoo artist. But right now, with no experience, I know there's so much to learn. I'm willing to go through just about anything to find myself in a place where I just love doing what I do for a living.

All tattoo artists I've met, with the exception of the occasional arrogant dude, have been friendly, knowledgeable, and just all around cool people. And most of them do their own forms of art outside the shop! I can't wait to get started in some way, shape, or form to get to there.

Thanks for any and all words of advice!
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Recruit

Thank you everyone for the great information. I'm considering a career change in the near future and was wondering if 42 years old would be to late in life to start an apprenticeship?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Recruit

Getting an apprenticeship today is no easy feat. First off when you go into a shop to inquire, What your really asking them is,"can I have some of your money?" The word apprenticeship is wildly abused these days. When I think of the word, I reference to something more serious than what is fragrantly offered these days by hacks that are out to get your cash. I want to learn from a master. It is a prestige to learn a skill from a renounced source from anything, not just tattoo.

Second, Do research and consider if tattooing really for you? Old timers who dedicated years to b1tc4es ,beers and bar brawls have set the tone for the craft. There is heartache at the drawing board for an apprentice.

Third,ART. Nowadays the art involved in tattooing has evolved into an unstoppable machine of graphic design, graffiti, painters, not to mention the hard motherf@#kers who started it. Win art contests before you walk into a shop with a good name. They want people who have the minerals and desire to win an award. Not just there for money.

With all the kitchen hacks out there the world could use more lazer removal technicians than coverup artists. So if you are interested in the world of tattoo and want to be beneficial thats one way. Ughhh im drunk, I better get off here before Brandon kicks my ass.
Thanks for listening.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Recruit

The shop I was at in atlanta closed anyone know a shop looking inside the perimeter.

Tags
apprentice, apprenticeship, sticky