Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 10-30-2010, 11:35 AM
scruffy nerf herder
Corporal

Default ROTARIES REGULAR vs. SWASH??!!

i know weve had the coil vs. rotary discussion. im trying to find out the practical diffs between a regular rotary style

and a swash drive style

any thoughts?
Old 10-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Private

Default Re: ROTARIES REGULAR vs. SWASH??!!

A rotary machine uses the horizontal rotary motion to drive an a-bar in the vertical motion. Some say that there can be a slight side to side motion due to the rotation.

* Lining, shading, coloring with the same machine
* less weight, lower noise and vibration
* super lightweight / high-tech construction / 110 g
* strong power - 3,2 watt
* voltage 5,5 - 7 volt
* all current armature bars and needle bars
can be used
* available clip cords and mains adapters can be used!
* with Clip-cord or Chinch available
* isolated, free from electric smog
* Swiss quality
* Swiss made
* around $400.00 +/- (clip cord machine)(more for the clip or rca)

A Swash drive uses a rotary motor setup vertically. The motor is then used to power the swash-plate which turns the rotational motion into a vertical motion. They have a soft and hard hit arm setup available also that are called clips

* Powerful neodymium magnets
* Mechanical commutation (graphite or precious metal brushes)
* Excellent volume/performance ratio
* Highest efficiency
* Low inductance
* No magnetic cogging
* High acceleration from low mass inertia
* Low electromagnetic interference
* Linear characteristics
* High reliability
* 6 month warranty
* around $400.00
* Speed: Cycles Per Second
* at 6.0 Volts - 50 CPS
* at 9.0 Volts - 100 CPS
* at 12 Volts - 150 CPS

Hope this helps.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Field Marshal

Location: Outside of DENVER Colorado Hiding from Animal Control

Swash is better made and more reliable and hits and preforms awsome, I had a Swiss Roto like the one above the swash, and It broke with in 10 mins the first time i tattooed with it the first 8 min were great but then the arm popped off and i sent it back the next day, The swash is now my daily driver for a color packer, works well for single needle whip shading, It never over heats and Tattoo's well from 2v to 14v, I love my swash for color and shading, but there is a little bit of a learning curve for a liner so I just stick with my coils for that.......By the Cheaper american one first before you spend the dough on the Australlian just to see if you like it first before spending 600 bucks; Its not for everyone. but worth checking out
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:09 PM
scruffy nerf herder
Corporal

both of those machines are cheap Chinese garbage. im just wondering if there is a real technical difference between the two styles. it just seems like two different ways to achieve the same motion.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Private

The swash has a truer vertical motion. Its a to each their own thing as most things are. I'll stick to coil machines.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:36 AM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickradsean View Post
both of those machines are cheap Chinese garbage. im just wondering if there is a real technical difference between the two styles. it just seems like two different ways to achieve the same motion.
ive used them all, and my favorites are the liner rotaries like the rapier and the dragonfly.

im sellin' off my last coil machines soon... too heavy. to finicky. seems ridiculous to grab one over my dragonfly.

i know how to take it apart, put it back together, tune it, and fix anything that could go wrong with it... but I'd rather be tattooing.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:20 PM
scruffy nerf herder
Corporal

Ok starting to get an idea here. The standard rotary may drift the needle side to side because of it's motion, while the swash has a more true up and down motion. Any benefits to either? Any other differences? Can you run these machines off a standard 10 turn box? I remember my pal bought a Swiss swash and then had to get the gigantic laboratory power supply because it only ran on amps.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:57 AM
Field Marshal

Location: Outside of DENVER Colorado Hiding from Animal Control

BENIFIT TO SWASH DRIVE ***NO MORE FIXING AND TUNNING!

I run mine on a Ekion EMS300 no diff then the coil machine, and if you use RCA's already get the swash with the RCA they run better

Happy Tattooing

Last edited by SJRabbit; 11-01-2010 at 02:01 AM..
Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Recruit

Check out the Rapier II as well as the swashdrive; its reasonably priced and runs off any psu although it would be beneficial if you had a digital one vs something like an Eikon ES 200.

Tags
regular, rotaries, swash