Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Misc > Sports

Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Default 2010 Atlanta Braves' Projected Opening Day Roster

2010 Atlanta Braves' Projected Opening Day Roster

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...ing-day-roster

Through about three weeks of Spring Training games, what have we learned about the Atlanta Braves?

Here are a few things...

Jason Heyward is the man.

Nate McLouth...not so much.

Craig Kimbrel can throw really well.

Jesse Chavez...not so much.

Derek Lowe has a new delivery.

Brian McCann and Troy Glaus' deliveries of balls to the outfield have not.

Joe Thurston and Brooks Conrad are both more than qualified to be the back-up, back-up infielders.

Jo-Jo Reyes...well, he's still Jo-Jo Reyes and no matter what kind of statistics he posts, I will never have any degree of respect for him.

Outside of those few things (and I'm being very general, I still like both of the "...not so much" guys), I don't think there have been too many many surprises (and a couple of the things I mentioned weren't really "surprises").

But, those few things have shaken up what the team is going to look like come April 5 versus the Cubbies.

You're likely to see Nate-Dogg and his meager .036 average and fast-approaching-score of Ks lose his lead-off role.

You could also see some "different" faces spring up in the Braves' 'pen that were (probably) considered longshots before the preseason kicked off a few weeks ago against the Mets.

Right now, here's what I'm expecting opening afternoon (and some explanations)...

Line-up

2B R Martin Prado
RF L Jason Heyward
3B S Chipper Jones
1B R Troy Glaus
C L Brian McCann
SS R Yunel Escobar
CF L Nate McLouth
LF S Melky Cabrera (provided Carlos Zambrano starts)

For my money, you have to

a) have Jason Heyward on the Opening Day roster

b) bat him second.

With the number of walks he has accumulated this Spring and the growing tally of slashes to the outfield resulting in long singles and doubles, I see him as an ideal fit behind Martin Prado (solid .300 hitter that posted a .358 OBP last season) and in front of a (hopefully) rebounded Chipper Jones (a spot that should yield plenty of hittable fastballs).

The No. 2 hole allows for J-Hey to display his on-base skills and (current) gap-to-gap power in an effective manner...there would be nothing better than Martin Prado going first-to-third on a screaming single for Jones, Glaus, and McCann.

Behind the wonder child, you have the usual three-to-six guys (these four present a near-unrivaled mix of average and pop), Nate McLouth (hey, if he can figure out his power stroke down behind Escobar, he'll be better utilized anyway), and Melky Cabrera (he presents a better match-up against.

Starter

We already know it's going to be Derek Lowe, so there isn't too much to discuss here.

As long as he gets that toe taped up, he should be good to go (see his last start against the newly sans-Dukes Nationals--six Ks and five grounders against 13 batters).

Bullpen

RHP Kris Medlen
RHP Jesse Chavez
RHP Manny Acosta ('til June)
LHP Eric O'Flaherty
RHP Peter Moylan
RHP Takashi Saito
LHP Billy Wagner

Let me start off by saying: no, I don't necessarily agree with having this particular group sitting out in right-center at the Ted come Opening Day.

However, I have come to accept that Manny Acosta is the resident 24th-25th man—his 6:1 K:BB ratio isn't half bad thus far in Spring Training (but two homers in 4.1 innings isn't very good—even though they came in on the same inning essentially, back-to-back pitches)—and that Jesse Chavez can be about an average MLB reliever (see his 2009 stats ).

Outside of those guys, though, you have to like what you see in terms of upside and track record.

Medlen has been throwing exceptionally well thus far in Spring Training; EOF is is grat shape; Moylan has incorporated an improved change-up into his repertoire; Saito has been gradually improving as he's shaking off rust; and Wags has been nothing short of his former self since his first appearance of the spring.

This group should be good to go for both April 5 and "super" good to go come June when Craig Kimbrel (likely) gets a near-full-time position with the Big Braves.

Bench

UTIL R Omar Infante
1B/3B L Eric Hinske
2B/SS S Brooks Conrad
BU-C R David Ross
OF R Matt Diaz

Now, you would obviously hope that you would only see one of Diaz/Hinske/Conrad coming off of the bench in Opening Afternoon to pinch-hit (Heyward forbid--just a joke--the Bravos suffer any injuries within the first nine innings of '10).

But, you have to like the versatility this bunch offers (with all being capable—save probably Ross (unless he can play 1B)—of playing multiple positions) and the pop from all five.

I don't feel we need to say too much about Infante (we know he can play everywhere), Hinske (I've already discussed him in detail ), Diaz (Captain Caveman is a hittin' fool), or Ross (great arm—great bat).

However, I do think I need to explain Brooks Conrad.

I think he wins the battle he's currently in with Thurston for one simple reason: he's a switch-hitter (not that Thurston's left-handed bat would be unwelcome).

Both of these guys have displayed solid defense and near-identical (.320/.346/.560 for Thurston vs. .320/.443/.560 for Conrad) batting lines thus far in the Grapefruit League, but Conrad's ability to hack from either side of the plate makes him more practical for late-inning situations if Hinske were to be unavailable.

Thurston has a ton of talent (relatively speaking for a bench-dude)...but his time will come when either Glaus or Chipper inevitably miss a week or two.

To sum it up...

That's it.

My (about) 500th official projection for the Braves' Opening Day roster.

I obviously didn't include the Braves' rotation (I'm saving that for big-time projection article here in a week or two), but when you look at the pieces the Bravos are bringing to the table fro, you have to like the mix of young and old, established and developing, and versatility.

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.allornothingtattoo.com
www.vickdogmovie.com
www.strangleholdmerch.com
www.atlantapitbullrescue.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Field Marshal

Default Re: 2010 Atlanta Braves' Projected Opening Day Roster

awesome
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, atlanta, braves, day, opening, projected, roster