Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Shop Announcements > General

Old 09-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Private

Default Interview w/ Jace Masula "Send Me Lottery Tickets!"

Here is a recent interview with a hungarian tattoo magazine. thought i would share, since we wont be able to actually read the interview.

- Firstly please tell us a bit about yourself.

I was born in California back in the 70's, my mother was a painter and my father was in the air force. My father’s job took us all over the world and by age 16, I had been to over 12 countries. At the time I did not really appreciate the opportunity I had given to me, but now I look back on those days frequently for inspiration. It is one of the reasons I enjoy traveling so much. My mother inspired me to be an artist. I can remember as a child watching her paint, and wanting to create something from nothing. I was fascinated by that concept... and still am to this day. I guess the idea of conception to creation has carried over into other areas of my life. Programming, graphic design, culinary arts, beer brewing and anything that lets me create.

- What made you want to become a tattoo artist?
I have always dreamed of being a tattooer, as a kid, I would constantly draw all over myself with permanent markers. It would drive my parents crazy. I can still hear my mom telling me how I will get ink poisoning. It was not until I graduated high school that I actually considered it as a profession. My friends and family wanted me to pursue it further, but my wife was the one who motivated me most. Tattooing is one of the few careers out there that will allow you to travel and draw as much as you want.

- What does your friends and family think of your love of tattoos?
At first, my family did not approve. They did not really understand that tattooing has evolved into a respected art form... and after a couple years, they came around. It was just last year I tattooed my father, it was his very first. Now my mom feels left out an has starting asking questions like, "does it really hurt that bad?". I am guessing its just a matter of time before she gets her first tattoo. As for my friends, most of them have been very supportive.

- What is your earliest memory of someone close to you being tattooed ie Father, Mother, Friend etc. Or are family not into tattoos?
My uncle, he was my first real (up close) experience with tattoos. He had quite a few small ones ( but back then, that was considered a lot). I remember my grandparents harassing him about his tattoos, I guess the rebel factor appealed to me a little at that young of an age. Not to mention my uncle is was one of the coolest adults I knew at the time. Looking back on that makes me wonder how much of an influence he really had on my love of tattoos.

- How long have you been tattooing?

I finished my apprenticeship in April of 2006 at one of the first tattoo studios to open in South Carolina. I will hit my 3 year mark next April. I moved here to Atlanta Georgia to work at All or Nothing Tattoo in June of 2008.

- What did you do before you started tattooing?

I was a programmer / graphic designer. I ran my own development company for almost 5 years. This was during the early multimedia phase of the internet when broadband just started taking off. We developed flash media promos and web based applications mostly. It was fun. I still enjoy programming, but it is more a hobby now.

- What was the first tattoo you ever did?

I did it on myself actually, it was a hand poked tattoo of a sheep with a blockhead on a surfboard. It is on my inner ankle, I remember hiding it from my folks for months with a bandaid. I was 16 or 17 at them time.

- Which tattoo style do you like best?
That is a hard one to answer. I guess i really do not have a particular favorite just yet. I like color tattoos as much as black and grey. I figure I still have a couple years to figure out my style. That is one of the reasons I moved to Atlanta Georgia to work at all or nothing tattoo studio, everyone here inspires me to try new things and constantly re-invent myself. I guess I have always liked new-school tattoos, and recently I have been leaning more towards color realism. I have not had a chance to do many traditional pieces, in the future I would like to try and incorporate more of those elements into my tattoos.

- Please tell us about the most important or meaningful tattoos you ever did.
I guess the most meaningful tattoo I have done was on a 67 year old world war 2 survivor. She traveled the world speaking to young children at schools about tolerance and peace. I tattooed a small dove with rainbow colored wings. To her represented all the people of the world united under one common thread... it was a very small tattoo, yet we managed to chat about her world war 2 experiences for almost 3 hours. She was an incredible woman and I consider myself very lucky to have met her.

- Is there anything (subject matter etc.) you would not tattoo?
Well, as long as it is not hate related, I am game. I may not showcase some of the subject matter I have done and will do, but if the client wants something that is meaningful to them, who am I to tell them no.

- Do you have a funny tattoo story?
Haha, oh yes, unfortunately I am afraid it is not appropriate for any magazine... (Let me know if I am wrong, I will be happy to share it with you)

- Given all that you have achieved so far what are you especially proud of?
I am afraid I have not achieved much this early in my career, but I would have to say I am proud of the recent move I have made to All or Nothing Tattoo Studio. These guys are some of the most talented artists I have ever had the pleasure of working with. I guess I feel more lucky than I do proud.

- Where do you see yourself in 10 years or more? Still tattooing?

Naked on some beach in a third world counrty. Stockpiling guns and making babies for the revolution. Yeah, I plan on tattooing as long as my body and mind will allow. There is nothing else I would rather be doing. I swear, if I ever won the lottery, I would tattoo for free, so mail me lottery tickets please!

-How do you feel about tattooing becoming more main stream with all the media hype from television and movies?
Everything changes... there is no fighting that. It is a double edge sword, It is great to see people accepting tattoo art as a respected art form, but with that comes a more corporate approach to an otherwise traditional medium. I just try to stay focused on what is important to me, which is doing good clean tattoos and having fun doing it.

- What’s the best way for our readers to set an appointment with you?

Usually most new clients find me on the internet. Just hop online and head to http://JaceMasula.com . From there you can find links to my online portfolio, as well as the http://AllOrNothingTattoo.com portfolio.
Or click here!

- I would just like to take this opportunity to thank Jace for taking the time to do this interview. Is there anything else you wish to say?
Thank you for taking the time to chat with me, I welcome the readers out there to make a trip over and visit us at the shop. We cater to international clients all the time, you show up at the airport, and we will come pick you up!

All or Nothing Tattoo
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080
Phone: 770.435.9966
allornothingtattoo.com
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Default Re: Interview w/ Jace Masula "Send Me Lottery Tickets!"

What a great interview Jace. You are an amazing tattooer and I really look forward to getting in some time with you.

Awesome Job Dude!

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.allornothingtattoo.com
www.vickdogmovie.com
www.strangleholdmerch.com
www.atlantapitbullrescue.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Corporal

And a really nice guy too...
Old 09-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Field Marshal

YAAAAAAAAAAAY JACE!

Our new secret weapon which will soon be "not so secret"

get your appointments NOW before hes all big headed and psychotic hahahaha

www.jacemasula.com
Old 09-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Field Marshal

http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/ga....php?album=141

Jace's gallery - its solid, but the new stuff hes doing is even more mind blowing.

Seems like our guys are having a profound effect on him here in the ATL.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Field Marshal

if you guys have any more questions for Jace we will use them in upcoming articles!!!

list your questions below

heres my first question:

Jace, tell me about attending my seminar as a youngster, and how it effected your motivational levels or whatever... and what happened with my gun?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRANDON BOND View Post
if you guys have any more questions for Jace we will use them in upcoming articles!!!

list your questions below

heres my first question:

Jace, tell me about attending my seminar as a youngster, and how it effected your motivational levels or whatever... and what happened with my gun?
lol, oh hell ya.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Field Marshal

tell me about making beer.

seriously.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/in...asulainterview

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.allornothingtattoo.com
www.vickdogmovie.com
www.strangleholdmerch.com
www.atlantapitbullrescue.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Old 09-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Field Marshal

No retard Im serious!

Nicole will put together extra questions and answers for upcoming articles.... there will be a lot of them!!!

answer the damn questions or Ill steal all your homemade beer.

Tags
interview, jace, masula, send me lottery tickets, w or