Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 10-21-2008, 08:55 AM
scruffy nerf herder
Corporal

Default color outlines?

so im still an apprentice but ive been toying with color outlines. my boss disapproves and says that they will spread over time, more so then a kuro black outline. true? ive seen it used in so much work. are these people just throwing caution to the wind and hoping that it is readable after 5 yrs? or is there a correct way for this to work for me?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:48 AM
www.JohnDameArt.com
Corporal

Default Re: color outlines?

well your boss is right to a certain extent.

Todays society in tattooing has changed and more and more tattoos are being done in just color.

It dependes on the ink, the way its put in, and how it is used.

Theres alot i can go on this subject but people are starting to think outside the box and there are other ways of doing a tattoo in just color that will allow it to hold its composition than other tattoos.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:29 AM
scruffy nerf herder
Corporal

ok, so specifically i was using a wine red to outline a red ribbon, or a darker blue to outline a diamond. proper application? what about lettering in color?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickradsean View Post
ok, so specifically i was using a wine red to outline a red ribbon, or a darker blue to outline a diamond. proper application? what about lettering in color?
ive seen these hold up very well. three words you need to know. "contrast" and "round shader".

if you dont know how to apply both of those, then stick to the black lines!!!

can be tricky. make sure your mentor is someone whose work you admire and trust. learn all you can from him...really in being an apprentice, Id suggest learn the basic rules, before you break them!

GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:51 AM
scruffy nerf herder
Corporal

haha so now i loose because im lost on the "round shader"? like a curved mag or do you mean like a loose 9R? why not just fill it with a regular mag?
Old 10-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Field Marshal

Thumbs up Re: color outlines?

Quote:
haha so now i loose because im lost on the "round shader"? like a curved mag or do you mean like a loose 9R? why not just fill it with a regular mag?
round shader! ask yer boss!!!
see what he thinks about applying the line differently.
color outlines can, and do work all the time, depending on application, technique and the right contrast.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:01 PM
scruffy nerf herder
Corporal

OH. so you are saying to outline with the shader? why? more space between the needles = more color saturation and a bolder line?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:37 AM
Field Marshal

Quote:
OH. so you are saying to outline with the shader? why? more space between the needles = more color saturation and a bolder line?
bingo!
Old 10-22-2008, 08:03 AM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

color pigment is thicker, and if you use a regular liner you will tare up the skin, the s&!t may want to be private if it goes any further, just pm me or someone else, later

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Old 10-25-2008, 03:05 AM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingtom View Post
color pigment is thicker, and if you use a regular liner you will tare up the skin, the s&!t may want to be private if it goes any further, just pm me or someone else, later
Agreed, I think anyone would be happy to help out IN PRIVATE, when it comes to super technical stuff. That's what the forums all about. I use just color all the time by the way, and I havent had any troubles once I found the secret

Tags
color, outlines