Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Private

Default Fine Balance - Art and Life

So I work a full time IT job (SCCM Administrator) and I have 6 kids, about year ago I got to thinking I wanted to do something with this art ability I have always had but once I got into the military I dropped it. I wanted to bring it back and really do something with it.

With the prompting of my lady, I decided to take two things I love and combine them; tattoos and art. I went around looking and talking to shops until I found the right shop at the right time. Many shops were full of smug artists, just busy and\or had no need or want for an apprentice.

Well I found my home and I have been there a year and growing a lot and I am proud to say I am an tattoo apprentice and growing.

I only have one regret, I want more time at the shop to push myself harder, but there are bills to pay, mouths to feed and reality is that my primary job of an IT professional isn't ready to take a back seat yet. I am only at the shop 4 days a week Mon, Thurs (from 6-close) and Sat, Sun (usually open to close).

I was curious how many of you out there work outside of your shop? Are split between tattooing\another job\spending time with family. What are some things you could say to others just really in their first year of starting this path on ways to make it all work and not be overrun or let art slip.

I love my family and they back me on my art so much, one day it will get easier but between them, people at the shop and sites like these I am learning so much. More than a 10 year vet had figured he would learn for sure.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Last edited by UntetheredSoul; 06-10-2010 at 01:45 PM..
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Private

Default Re: Fine Balance - Art and Life

When I started tattooing full-time I worked about 10 hour days, 5-6 days a week for 2.5 years. Then for about 6 months I worked 10 hour days 4 days a week to focus on my painting. Im back to 5 days now. After going full-time tattoo artist I havnt worked in another field. At first Id say the days are long, and its less freedom with free-time, but if you have the freedom to schedule your own clients and build clientele you can cut down on the number of days per week if the boss allows.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Platoon Sargent

Take into consideration your medical care coverage for you and your family. I know I can't find a company to cover me because of the job title "tattoo artist". I was advised to drop the word tattoo out of the title and things will be a whole different story.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:05 PM
What would Truman do?
Private

Two jobs here also, I started working construction in 03, tattooin after work couple days a week. Then I was workin the whole week swingin my hammer and tattooing at least 5 days a week after work. Most days I would have just enough time to s&!t and take a quick shower and my tat appointment would be waiting for me. 6am to 10 or 11 at night almost every day. I think in 05 I worked 11 months straight with not a single day off. Great money lotsa pain. I just quit construction a couple weeks ago to concentrate on what I love instead of what I hate. f@#k construction, I always hated it and ended up a general contractor, money will lead people to do awful things.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Platoon Sargent

Art/Tattooing is all I have left, and Im not in a shop yet (still begging for an apprenticeship) I have a one year old daughter, and my past is keeping me from getting ANY kind of respectable job, I have no other choice but to make my art work for me and my family, I once ran a couple of airbrush shops, but airbrushing makes for great side income, I believe tatooing along with airbrushing on the side will at the very least keep my daughter fed and clothed, and have some kind of shelter. I guess I can say Im the epitome of the words ALL or Nothing> so I would say do what you must for your family! Luckily you have a job already........

Last edited by Frek; 06-12-2010 at 01:37 PM..
Old 06-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Corporal

[QUOTE=Frek;60975] my past is keeping me from getting ANY kind of respectable jobQUOTE]

Any job is respectable. You gotta get that out of your head that only certain jobs are cool, and the rest aint worth your time. And your past can only hold you back for as long as you let it. Once you realize that you are the only one holding you back, your life will open up like you just got the key to the city. Believe me, I know cuz I been there. As soon as I pulled my head out my ass, life was a beautiful thing.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Platoon Sargent

Maybe you gotta point......what I meant by "respectable" was jobs that are paying something better than I make with my airbrush....I don't know I just can't see past just being an artist, I always seem to come back to art no matter what I go through........don't get me wrong though I have applications out there, but until they call (which will probably be never) Im gonna bank on the skill Im best at.......and love to do.....I'm gonna try and get my head out for sure..... Thanx
Old 06-13-2010, 05:02 AM
What would Truman do?
Private

The airbrush may not be a serious money maker right now for you, in time it could make you an ass load of cash. Your teaching yourself a skill right now that you dont realize. Your learning to make your own money.That is a different mindset than most which already puts you at an advantage. I walked away from a steady super dependable job that paid 1200 a week to work for myself at about 200 a week. It was one of the hardest things I ever did. Now I still work for me but a little more comfortably. Some people find a job and keep it the rest of their life. I have to find a new one a couple times a week when my books not full. Not everyone can handle that one, its easier to depend on a boss for that paycheck every week, by working for yourself you can get further faster. I got a pretty bad past also, did 6 in the feds my first time in. My girlfriend did 7 for armed robbery with a gun. We both got our heads out of our ass and got jobs and licensed when our friends told us felons cant do that. You may have more options than you think, always double check. I was told that felons couldnt get a contractors license-I have one now. It is what you make it, but so far it sounds like your kicking some ass and on the right track. I was told once that to find a job you have to make finding it your job. Dont wait for a call either, call every monday and touch base everywhere you applied. Get all up in their s&!t and force yourself on them, it works. Good job keep it up, just make sure to have fun.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Platoon Sargent

My focus is to get into a tattoo studio and just work my ass off to become a licensed professional in tattooing and do both tattooing/airbrushing and maybe down the road some oil paintings, art is all I know I don't have much of a work history so, I see art being my main supporter, if a job calls me then whatever, but I'm really trying to push myself to get better with my art, and trying to do that and working a 9-5, I just can't see the two mixing to well..............I already have a skill I just have to get the right formula together and mix it up, and put it out there for the world to see......I love working for my self bottom line, its just a struggle as of now, not alot of people are buying and Im really trying to focus on becoming a tattoo artist..but it is what it is I guess........All or Nothing!!!!!! Thanx for the inspiration dude........I guess there is light at the end of the tunnel..........

Last edited by Frek; 06-13-2010 at 07:41 AM..
Old 06-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frek View Post
My focus is to get into a tattoo studio and just work my ass off to become a licensed professional in tattooing and do both tattooing/airbrushing and maybe down the road some oil paintings, art is all I know I don't have much of a work history so, I see art being my main supporter, if a job calls me then whatever, but I'm really trying to push myself to get better with my art, and trying to do that and working a 9-5, I just can't see the two mixing to well..............I already have a skill I just have to get the right formula together and mix it up, and put it out there for the world to see......I love working for my self bottom line, its just a struggle as of now, not alot of people are buying and Im really trying to focus on becoming a tattoo artist..but it is what it is I guess........All or Nothing!!!!!! Thanx for the inspiration dude........I guess there is light at the end of the tunnel..........
Frek, man you are standing by your child first and foremost that in itself is a feat no one can remove from you. Sol is right, you are teaching yourself many things and keep moving one foot infront of the other. Each day no matter how hard or easy is another day to be grateful for because you get to rise and see your child shine.

Keep your head up, your dreams in focus and bust knuckles every day, we all get to rest when we die. I have six kids two jobs and a lot on my shoulders, just gotta shift it and you guys replying on here just lets me know others in world feel it to. We can all shift weight, not let our spirits or our backs break.

Keep rocking on Frek and every one on here making art, making the world a cooler place to exist in.

Tags
art, balance, fine, life