Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 02-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Private

Question How long can someone get tattooed consecutively?

I'm a tattoo enthusiast who is currently living in the middle of Alaska and am planning a trip to All or Nothing eventually for large amounts of work at one time.

Question is... how long can someone get tattooed for consecutively without going into shock or compromising the immune system? My old tattooer from Anchorage said that after about two days the body can go into shock and greatly affect the healing process. Don't know if there is any truth to this as many of the artists at AoN have done full sleeves in 3+ days at one time.

Would greatly appreciate any input on this. Thank you.
-Graupel
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Private

Default Re: How long can someone get tattooed consecutively?

The most ive had on me at once was a 16 hour session then I had a sleep then back into it for 10 hours.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:47 PM
X Project Tattoo
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graupel View Post
I'm a tattoo enthusiast who is currently living in the middle of Alaska and am planning a trip to All or Nothing eventually for large amounts of work at one time.

Question is... how long can someone get tattooed for consecutively without going into shock or compromising the immune system? My old tattooer from Anchorage said that after about two days the body can go into shock and greatly affect the healing process. Don't know if there is any truth to this as many of the artists at AoN have done full sleeves in 3+ days at one time.

Would greatly appreciate any input on this. Thank you.
-Graupel
I think 3 consecutive days of tattooing is close to impossible for the person getting the needles... Also, your brain releases a substance called endorphine I think, it helps you extend your pain tolerance for a max of atleast 6-9hrs for some, for others it's usually shorter... You can also take the Plasma into consideration, from my own opinion and observation, the longer a person sits getting tattooed the harder for the color to go in... Im not sure why but I red something from here I think, it is because of the Plasma from your blood that dilutes the ink, thus harder to get in after a period of time tattooing... And the main reason why 3consecutive days of tattooing is close to impossible, it is because of the intolerable amount of pain one has to go through aside from the fact that you are tattooing some parts of the skin with fresh wounds from the previous session... That's my stand point for this issue...

BTW, why not just get all the outlines and most shading completed for a whole day session then just finish the whole thing including the coloring with your and the shop's most convenient time? Atleast, if there's gonna be a need for another pass for the outlines, it would be easier to spot it on the next session once the outlined areas are completely healed up sir...
Old 02-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Private

Well I'm curious how Brandon and some of the AoN crew have managed to tattoo someone consecutively for 30+ hours if the body supposedly stops taking pigment past a certain point. Not that I don't believe you.. but it just seems odd that the skin could only take pigment for a limited amount of time when I have heard of people getting tattooed for several days at least.

Last edited by Graupel; 02-18-2010 at 10:25 PM..
Old 02-18-2010, 10:51 PM
scruffy nerf herder
Corporal

f@#k that. i would never want to tattoo for that long consecutively. my wrists already sound like cement mixers. i cant imagine holding your focus that long and not getting tired and sloppy.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:00 PM
MakingInsanityFunSince'83
Field Marshal

Surgeons do it all the time.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 PM
scruffy nerf herder
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufferkiller View Post
Surgeons do it all the time.
haha.true. the day i take home six figures and peoples lives depend on my tattooing, then i will work for 30hrs at a clip.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:05 AM
MakingInsanityFunSince'83
Field Marshal

That's different from being able to do it. I can see not wanting to work that long in such a short span of time, but there are a lot of people that can do it. Especially if you build up to it, and don't just jump into a 15 hour session, when all you're used to is 2 or 3 hour sessions.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:03 AM
scruffy nerf herder
Corporal

oh i hear ya. i just know that for me if i go more than 4-5 hours on the same piece i get burned out.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:46 PM
X Project Tattoo
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graupel View Post
Well I'm curious how Brandon and some of the AoN crew have managed to tattoo someone consecutively for 30+ hours if the body supposedly stops taking pigment past a certain point. Not that I don't believe you.. but it just seems odd that the skin could only take pigment for a limited amount of time when I have heard of people getting tattooed for several days at least.
No bro, I dont think you're getting the point... Getting tattooed for a very long period of time doesnt mean that the ink is not gonna be injected into the skin... I am just telling you that that the consistency of pushing the ink inside isnt gonna be the same as when the session started or within 3-5hrs or so... It is not because of the artist but mainly because of the skin of the person getting tattooed... If you research enough, you'll learn that skin has this healing factor that it tries to heal the wound after certain hours... Havent you noticed? If you get burned or wounded after few minutes your skin pores becomes different and you can tell that the wound is in the process of healing up... Regarding the plasma thing, you can ask experienced artists regarding this... Your blood produces this substance that dilutes the ink, thus harder to inject into the skin and btw, I never mentioned that skin will only take a pigment for a limited point of time, If you re-read my post I said it would be harder to inject pigment after long hours of tattooing... Thanks...

Last edited by The Virtuoso; 02-19-2010 at 07:49 PM..

Tags
consecutively, long, tattooed