Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Dumb Laws Of The Week

Old 10-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Recruit

Default Broward County Fl new dangerous dog law

Broward County's Dangerous Dog Law is in conflict with the laws that govern the State of Florida. Here is the brief overview, the section that pertains to my dogs are in bold, to see the full laws you may visit these websites:
http://www.broward.org/animal/ani01700.htm#Dangerous

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/ind...0767/Sec11.HTM

State of Florida Law states...
767.11 Definitions.--As used in this act, unless the context clearly requires otherwise:

(1) "Dangerous dog" means any dog that according to the records of the appropriate authority:

(a) Has aggressively bitten, attacked, or endangered or has inflicted severe injury on a human being on public or private property;

(b) Has more than once severely injured or killed a domestic animal while off the owner's property;

Now here is Broward County's Law..tell me how can a county law out rule a state law?????

Dangerous Dogs: Section 4-12
A “Dangerous Dog” is a dog that has done the following:

A dog that when unprovoked approaches a person in a menacing fashion or with an attack attitude.

A dog that has killed or caused the death of a domestic animal in one incident, while off the owner’s or keeper’s property.
Has aggressively bitten, attacked, endangered, killed or inflicted severe injury on a human being on public or private property.

If a dog – whether or not the dog has been classified as “dangerous” -- causes severe injury or death to a person OR domestic animal while unprovoked and off the owner’s property, an Animal Care Officer will impound the dog. Written notice will be given to the owner and after ten (10) business days from the date of notification, the dog will be humanely euthanized.

Now for Our story:

My neighbors dog was in my yard aggravating my 2 dogs, while being provoked one of my dogs pushed the gate open (which unfortunatly had not been properly relocked by my lawn maintenance company) and escaped. The two dogs began to fight in my yard, unfortunately the other dog, a Yorkie did not make it. I am at my wits end!!! They claim it was in their yard when it was not. After seeing my dog escape I ran out and stopped the fight, my dog let go instantly however I have a Staffordshire terrier and she is 66 lbs and the other dog was very small. This was a horrible accident but with the new law they will put my dogs down since the neighbors can't seem to get their story straight. We are talking a matter of inches, now how can they kill them for a matter of inches. These are my kids and taking them away is wrong. I feel horrible about what happened and paid all the expenses for the vet in order to try and save the Yorkie's life. The neighbors have even said it was not our fault and the Animal Control has even said they are not dangerous but with the neighbors constantly changing their story my dogs still sit on DEATH ROW. Please help me save my dogs!!!
How to Help! Please sign the petition and pass it along, we need all the help we can get!
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/sav...gerous-dog-law
Or visit www.savecaymenandhaley.com
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Corporal

Default Re: Broward County Fl new dangerous dog law

FL is really screwed up lately...more so than usual. I signed the petition, I really hope you get your furbabies back home where they belong! Good luck to all of you in this fight!!!
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Recruit

Thank you soooo much we now realize what a scewed up system we have here.....they are all a bunch of murders. There is actually 4 huskies and two other pits that are involved in the civil suit we have now filed agaisnt Broward county....we will win eventually but for now my furbabies aont be coming home until dec.....
Old 10-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Corporal

Do they allow you to visit your babies? If they do, keep an eye on their physical condition. Maybe have your veterinarian write a letter to the AC they are impounded at, asking that they be fed only a particular food(what they are use to), toys, etc. Be sure they do not fall behind on their shots while in AC's custody. You don't want to give them any other reasons to put them down. Ask your vet if he/she will do an onsite visit to check them out. Possibly take all of that to the judge in the case??? Don't give up! Please, keep us all updated on them, okay?
BSL is so ill thought in every manner possible. It doesn't even come close to touching on the root of the problem! If only there were responsible people passing laws?!?!?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Recruit

Actually they have been relocated to the VCA animal hospital....we got the court order 2 weeks ago. They came out of AC in horrible shpe, i had to spend 700 dollars to get them back in shpe, Broward county AC is horrible and the conditions are deplorable...20 days and they never left the cage they were both in......we are on the rihgt track with things now and no one can touch them for now..I love the place they are at the have a huge yard we can go and play with them in or at least for now they are doing as well as can be expected..keep checking our website for nay new info and i will keep you posted as well....
Old 10-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Corporal

That's good to hear they're doing better. All too often they can't be relocated. It sounds like you have a great handle on this case...all my best to you and your furbabies! We will all be watching and hoping for the best outcome ever!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Recruit

Thanks we definatly have agreat case and we WILL prevail...broward county and there ridiculous law will go down!!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Private

First I would say lets not play dumb and try to use loop-holes. A Staffordshire Terrior is a Pitt Bull, so jst say you have a Pitt Bull. But this law is rediculous, and of course it is meant to target dogs such as Pitt Bulls. In fact a California law is pushing to make it illegal to even own a pitt bull, regaurdless of the dogs behavior. I have several friends with pitts that are more friendly than anyones chihuahas that I have seen. those little ankle biters are vicious. But the florida law is not the only one of its kind. Several states already have even stricter laws where they will put a dog to sleep the first time it kills another animal, at least florida is giving it a second chance. The situation is unfortunate and we all know why, the government is unable to stop people from breeding fighting dogs, so they are going after the entire breed as well as any other animals they consider dangerous. But they disregaurd the human element in all of it. there was a case in California where a burglar was killed by a womans pet african lions. The lions were immediately put down, the woman later sued the state and won. Her lawyers argued that the lions acted to protect the home, which everyone home owner has the right to do. Had she shot the burglar and killed him there would have been no problem with that, but because it was an animal they were put to sleep. Maybe its the owners who should suffer the consequences and not the animals. If a dog kills 5 other dogs they should take a look at the owner of the dog, and figure out why their dog is so vicious. Breeding doesnt create an aggressive dog, poor training does. I know first hand how bad the broward government is and they have a lot of laws that are bogus, this one doesnt surprise me one bit. What i would worry about is broward putting the dade county laws in effect which restrict specific breeds all together, pitt bulls included. And if you think calling your dog by its technical name will save it, your wrong, they arent that stupid.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Recruit

First of all you would be be the one playing dumb.....there are 3 distinct breeds the APBT was breed orginally for fighting while the AST was breed for shows and therefore a more docile dog. I did not come to this forum to be attacked and i did not think if i called my dog by her exact breed would save her. But guess what they are saved!!!!!! They have been home since dec 4th and are happy and healthy. So i did not look for loop holes, if you read what happened then you would know that. The neighbors dog was in MY YARD aggravating mine at OUR fence....so who is the agressor???????

I will now be leaving this group because i did not come here to be attacked i needed some help at the time but i have found all the support i needed in the ASPCA and Pit bull forums..so thanks for your input but NO THANKS!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Private

I didnt reply to your post to attack you in any way, and I am sorry you took it that way. I am glad to hear that your dogs were saved, you rarely hear that in any dog related attack stories. Also I did read your entire post, I guess maybe you didnt read all of mine and just jumped to conclusions that I was trying to be a d**k. Or maybe its just the fact that a message board cant show the tone behind what someone is typing and people generally misunderstand what is being written. Aside from that you are on a Tattoo Message Board, so if you are going to post stuff on here EXPECT some constructive criticism, and if you cant deal with it buy some tissues and go cry somewhere else. Again I am sorry if you took what I was saying as hurtful, although I really cant see how since all I said was to come out and state its a pit bull instead of making it sound like you have a different breed. 75% of the time you hear people call a pit bull a stafordshire terrior they are trying to hide the fact its a pit so the people who dont know will not be so judgemental. I for one love pit bulls and think they are some of the best dogs you can have as long as they are properly raised and trained. but at the same time I know there are a lot of people out there who raise them to be aggresive, and those people dont care if its a blue nose, or a brindle, or what specific breed it is. They are the reason the entire breed has such a bad name and it sucks because the percentage of these dogs that are vicious are minimal. But like I said I am glad to see your dogs were saved and you got to bring your kids home. Hopefully nothing like this ever happens to your dogs again because you know the florida law and the second time wont yield the results you want. It sucks that they make laws like that because its not the dogs fault. Especially in your case, if I am being f@#ked with by my neighbor I am probably going to want to kick his ass. I just hope your neighbors dont hold a grudge and decide to take matters into their hands and harm your dogs, because that has happened before. good luck with your dogs.

Tags
broward, county, dangerous, dog, law