Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 05-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Corporal

Default Re: red

Ask him if hes been put on any oral or injectable steroids for inflammation recently,newly developed medical conditions/medications since the original tattoo, bitten by a spider, or had any MRIs or other non-invasive diagnostic medical procedures...i would think red reaction would happen within the first year of the tattoo...usually due to allergies, from what ive been told, but people can become allergic when they get older too.

Im thinkin' SHENANIGANS though...

Last edited by SugarT; 05-07-2009 at 02:05 PM..
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjaywymbs View Post
our body chemistry changes every few years, and new allergies that were'nt there before can develop. i saw this happen to my friend tim last year. a 1 year old healed tattoo just became raised, itchy, and oozy. cortizone shot cleared it up in about 3 days. i'm just glad i didn't do the tattoo it happened on. hahaha. one more thing, i've seen this more and more comonly on people who are getting that black light ink, stay away from that crap.

I had a similar reaction myself -- but not to red. On my forearm, I had some work done & it healed up over a year ago. Never had a problem, never thought about it. Well, about a week ago a good portion of the light blue raised up and became mildly itchy. When I went into the shop to ask about it, I was told it was most likely from the DermaGlo white that was used in the light blue. They no longer use that brand of white because they have heard of people being sensitive to it. They apologized and said not to worry about it, it will go away on its own if a few days. I tried Benadryl, it did nothing. I tried Cortizone cream, it helped the itch a bit. But in about a week it went away on its own.

Do you think if I had them re-do the color with a different ink it would make a difference? Probably not, right?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Field Marshal

i'd wait a while to see if there is any more reaction. whenever it comes to taking care of your body, always consult a doctor first. 9 out of 10 are gonna tell you not to get any more tattoos.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Angel of Death
Corporal

My hubby has the same problems with Red!
Three different tattoo artists and I am sure at least two different brands of
red ink were used so it can't just be one brand of ink.

He still has some raised red from a tattoo he got at the Baltimore Convention in January. It is only in some small areas too, it is not everywhere there is red ink. Eventually it finally goes down and heals normally! He does say it itches sometimes too when it's hot outside or after a hot shower!

I have been tattooed by some of the same people with the same red inks and never had any reation at all to any color....lol.

Bunny
Tattooed Sweethearts
Old 05-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Corporal

We call it red reaction. It seems to happen in about 1 out of every thousand cumstomers, if that. I'm not sure why it happens. I've seen the red just not seem to want to heal and sometimes becomes seepy. Sometimes taking as long as a year to heal. I have also seen the "red reaction" heal up within a year, stay healed for a year then pop up again. The human body is a strange one. Who knows? <-----bad red ink!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Private

Define a "red reaction"- as you see it.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by waverly View Post
Define a "red reaction"- as you see it.
It seems to be the body trying to reject the red ink or something in the ink. The entire tattoo will be healed except the red. It's not a scab but more like a glazed over sometimes lumpy look to the red. When you see it, you'll definetly know something is wrong. I'll try to find a picture of it somewhere.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Private

That's not a true red reaction...
Old 05-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Field Marshal

Location: Outside of DENVER Colorado Hiding from Animal Control

I have a BA major bio/chem & minor in fine art/ And RED IS MY FAV COLOR SO I MUST DEFEND! so as for you guys and gals that care,tattooed or tattoist red is made with Cinnabar (HgS), Cadmium Red (CdSe) Iron Oxide (Fe2O3) and Napthol-AS, If you are prone to Allergic reactions or cautious go to Dermotoligist and get a allergy test done prior to your tattoo, All reds shades and including pinks and flesh tones carry a risk of reaction due to these metals but chances are slim to none, you have a higher risk of getting burns in MRI in you red tattoo, MOST INKS are metal based but there are new pigments out there that are made from plastic's which still carry the risk.

RED REACTION and it is this Cysts will grow in the effected areas and will look like pimples. They will have perfectly round white balls. your tattoo might look like a match stick head that is the pigment trying to leave the skin, sometimes the dry needle method works for this reaction and then a&d Ointment and stay away from red,

Also they way we have been healing our tattoo's have changes so much over the year's not the pigment, the old sailor way keep it clean and dry no extra bs just wash it. then lotion when healed it still works i use it everytime and the tattoo's iv'e healed that way are brighter and bolder
Old 05-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Private

You are adding more misinformation to the soup.

Tags
red