Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 03-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Field Marshal

Default "don't ask for critiques from people who you don't respect" - jeff zuck

i havent done this before, and usually it looks like people shamelessly begging for pats on the back concerning their work, but this is a good board and i have been posting for maybe 2 years now..so im ready for some critiques from anyone interested to give them (aon) on how to improve technically and artistically.

http://www.slide.com/r/rmHW4cky1j9-N...t_embedded_url
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Field Marshal

Default Re: "don't ask for critiques from people who you don't respect" - jeff zuck

are you asking only from the aon crew?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Field Marshal

Default Re: "don't ask for critiques from people who you don't respect" - jeff zuck

id like to hear from any tattoo artists, really.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:01 PM
the cap'm
Corporal

Does this mean you'll respect me in the morning?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Needs Church
Field Marshal

At a quick glance,.. everything looks good.
The only thing that I would say,.. is add some darker tones to all of your flowers.
... ( y )
Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooPadawan View Post
At a quick glance,.. everything looks good.
The only thing that I would say,.. is add some darker tones to all of your flowers.
thanks for adding some input! first one! haha. I am pretty steeped in traditional, which is weird for when I am trying to branch out and do stuff a little different, why i cant transfer that "heavy black shades" theory that i use in so much of my traditional stuff. Its good to get a different set of eyes on the pieces i have been staring at for months... Thats a good point though, I need to max out a little more of the darker tones to get the contrast im looking for. THANKS!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:08 AM
the cap'm
Corporal

Ya need to smooth things out some. Your blends are a little abrupt/rough in spots. Also that pinup and some of the flowers are weak. If you're planning to do something without outline you need some kind of tonal contrast to hold the shape, to make an edge. Otherwise it just is too mushy.

If you want to avoid black in a flower for some reason try using really dark colors, or black toned up by mixing another color into it. Make some shadows in things...study the photos of the real thing, or the object itself, and mimic the shadows you see.

The blends are a big poke in the eye though. Better slow down and turn that shader down alittle and try to get those smoother.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonanteye View Post
Ya need to smooth things out some. Your blends are a little abrupt/rough in spots. Also that pinup and some of the flowers are weak. If you're planning to do something without outline you need some kind of tonal contrast to hold the shape, to make an edge. Otherwise it just is too mushy.

If you want to avoid black in a flower for some reason try using really dark colors, or black toned up by mixing another color into it. Make some shadows in things...study the photos of the real thing, or the object itself, and mimic the shadows you see.

The blends are a big poke in the eye though. Better slow down and turn that shader down alittle and try to get those smoother.
That makes good sense about toning the black instead of an absoulte black. I have been toying with that type of stuff recently, trying to find a niche. I am pretty stepped in traditional, so i have a good grasp on black, i think, but am still very new to no/little outline, and lighter colors. I also am trying to add more detail, since i really have no art training, i natural was attracted to simplier designs, but want to be a little more versatile.

I try and blend without washing out, to make smoother, but i never really thought to slow down the machine. I dont know why...but that makes perfect sense. thanks.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:55 AM
the cap'm
Corporal

yeah I work a lot like I'm glazing with oil paints...lots of layers. when I do that kind of stuff I gotta slow down a little, keeps the skin fresh

glad it was helpful
Old 03-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Field Marshal

have you seen the enchilada? that question simply gives me a reference point as to how in depth your knowledge base of how we do things is?

Tags
jeff, zuck