Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 05-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Private

Default Re: If not practice skins then what???

only helped cause i had issues with turning the machine when going around but as for texture or likeness to skin nope was not the same just for the 3d part.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Corporal

my practice skin was the skin on my calf...

www.jmanutti.com
www.myspace.com/toolz111
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Private

My first practice tattoos are on my thighs right above my knee. After that, I called in friends who were down for free small tattoos like kanji or anything small and solid black really. I was told none of that stuff really works, as far as the practice skin, and fruits or pig skin. Although I will say that said tattoos were under the supervision/guidance of my mentors.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATSOS View Post
my practice skin was the skin on my calf...
Yeah for real man, every tattoo artist I know has their legs tattooed from when they were learning. I consider it a badge of honor, even if they're a bit ugly because it means that you sacrificed your own skin for the knowledge and experience you gain from it. Pretty much tattoo anywhere you can reach that isn't always visible. I still have areas on my leg where I do test patches if I'm trying out some new ink before I start using it on my customers. After that do lots of small tattoos anywhere that can be covered on friends and undiscriminating individuals, with your mentor's permission of course.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:45 AM
What would Truman do?
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres View Post
Yeah for real man, every tattoo artist I know has their legs tattooed from when they were learning. I consider it a badge of honor, even if they're a bit ugly because it means that you sacrificed your own skin for the knowledge and experience you gain from it. Pretty much tattoo anywhere you can reach that isn't always visible. I still have areas on my leg where I do test patches if I'm trying out some new ink before I start using it on my customers. After that do lots of small tattoos anywhere that can be covered on friends and undiscriminating individuals, with your mentor's permission of course.
yup, legs are f@#ked up. My daughter blasted me up when she was 9 years old, a buddy of mine did his first tat on my leg and 4 of my first. I just got a pretty nasty burn from my crotch rocket exhaust tho so Im gonna lose some of two old ones. Maybe I can incorporate my new scar into my next piece. Any ideas anybody? Its shaped like an oval about 2x3 inches. Help me out here...
Old 06-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Your future ex-husband
Corporal

if it's just superficial, then allow to heal, treat with tea tree oil, and in months you can do infinite numbers of things.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Private

I know some kids who bloodline, or greyline....but I'm not sure it's worth creating the trauma....it's a double edged sword to me, you can't judge line weight or depth...so I think it gives a false sense of what you're doing...perhaps teaching you bad habits?

Grapefruit, I have done just to put a machine in my hand and use the 3d surface to try to pull straight lines. But here again, it shouldn't be used to measure anything other than machine weight and the ability to try and control your depth....Skin is skin, if you've got it, use it, because there is NOTHING like it.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Private

when i hear "practice skin", i think only one thing........friends.....

do it they will let you......and when you get better fix what you did wrong....its a learning process thats been used for a long friggan time.....and the only way to truly learn to tattoo......
Old 06-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Platoon Sargent

Thanx , I like the friends idea........
Old 06-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Private

My first few apprentice tattoos that weren't on myself were on willing "friends" but then a lot of the "friends" disappeared when I started charging for them. I'm grateful for their "skin donations" regardless lol

Tags
practice, skins