Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 05-16-2006, 06:14 AM
Private

Default Does ink go bad?

I was wondering how long before you have to chuck your old ink. I know starbrite comes with expiration dates, but none of my other inks have them. In tattoo parlors, it looks like their ink collection has some bottles from way back. Im curious to see what everyones take on the subject is.Oh, also was wondering the same thing for outlining ink. Thanks
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:49 AM
Corporal

Default tattoo ink

I have read this before on a tattoo suppliers web-site and i think they were saying the shelf life would be up to two years.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Platoon Sargent

to be honest,
we never have ink long enough for it to pass that experation date.
we tattooing pretty much 24/7, so we run out of alot.
you might wanna try to email the company and check with them.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Private

Powder-based colors can stay on the shelf as long as you keep them wet.
Pre-dispersed have a shelf life and I wouldn't know what it is... depe
nds on the preservative or animicrobial used.

bill
Old 05-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Platoon Sargent

Bill I love you, your the man.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Field Marshal

Default Re: Does ink go bad?

i think it is important to know that inks have a shelf life if they are predispersed. for realz. if you dont tattoo a lot, or a certain color you dont use a lot....get a 1oz bottle. because i could imagine the reaction of expired ink in the skin. word.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 AM
Recruit

hi I'm new to this forum and I realize this topic is several years old... but what does "keep it wet" mean when talking about powder-based pigments? I am only a few months into my apprenticeship and both my mentor and I use pre-dispersed, so I'm just curious. After reading a lot of the posts on this forum, I'm interested in trying out Waverly soon. Does "keep it wet" simply mean to regularly shake it so it doesn't separate? Or are there extra care measures that I wouldn't think of?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Field Marshal

order waverly. dont let it dry out by leaving the cap open or some s&!t. bingo.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:16 AM
Recruit

Inks are made of a pigment which never expires its is also made with distilled water which only dries up and with alcohol which will only evaporate rather than out date, the ink will dry and harden overtime if not mixed regularily to keep ink easy flowing, once drying up over time and becoming thicker just add a few drops of alcohol 99% bought in any drug store, Hesitate on adding witch hazel or distilled water as you will create a thin ink which won't hold in the skin well. The containers are what have expiration dates as they can break down over time with the liquid in them and possibly causing bacterial growth, hope this helps, if the ink has odor than somewhere in manufacturing it was contaminated.

Tags
bad, ink