Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 09-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Field Marshal

Default Rotary Machines?

I have heard people make comparrisons to how hawks and pneuma machines are in some ways similar to a rotary, and on a side note I have seen a lot of reputable builders make rotary machines as well.

What are the benefits and differences of a rotary?

I read once that chris trevino shades with a rotary? hmm dunno,

any input?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Corporal

Default Re: Rotary Machines?

hawks and neumas are rotaries. Neuma uses air to drive a small wheel which in turn moves the armature nipple up and down. The hawks, as far as I can figure out, are rotaries completely housed in a shell. Kinda like the huck spaulding revolutions that have been out for a while. As far as benefits go, There's little to no maintenance on a rotary. I know from using my neumas that they acutally get better over time. Coils need to be tuned and maintained regularly to stay running at top performance. Spring tension wears, points wear down, etc. I've also heard that rotaries can be a bit tough to get used to at first. Artists I've talked to that are using standard rotaries talk about little to no give on the needle. See, when those things drive a needle down, there is no give on the motor. Standard coils don't have this problem because the point gaps and springs allow for give. Neuma is similar because everything is driven by air, which acts as a cushion. Kinda like driving a car with airbags vs a car with hydraulics. I read that Chris trevino is using rotaries as well. One of the tattoo artist magazines. Those books are the s&!t!!!! From what I remember, I believe that he is using a swashdrive. I don't know much about them, but they look pretty crazy!!!! I also have to say that all of this information is in no way the absolute end all of end all. These are just the views that I've collected over time and conversations with other artist. I may be wrong, I may be right. I'm sure there are a lot more knowledgeable people out there and on this forum that will be able to give you more precise information. Hopefully, one of them will throw their hat in the ring here so we can all learn a bit more.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:12 AM
Private

Ive been told durring my training that it dosent matter what type machine you use its how you use it, but by me being new to tattooing I had to try out different machines as well.I use a standard spring machine called IronStar that is made by unimax.but I do all of my color and grey shading with a SwashDrive,for some reason it just feels like the swash pumps colors in so super easy and I do like the sound of that soft hum.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:09 AM
LBT

nah...machines are a very important piece when it comes to tattooing, there are night and day differences between great, good and bad machines!!
Old 09-14-2008, 02:31 AM
robhamilton

Thumbs up Re: Rotary Machines?

Let me tell you first hand how the rotary Hawk Machine feel being under one. Jace you one today at the convention on a collaboration chest piece that him and Short did.

The Hawk feels totally different than any other machine I have been tattooed by. First, it is totally silent. All tattoos have some pain involved, but with the Hawk in certain areas of my chest I would feel it for about 4 or 5 seconds the i would get numb in the area that was being worked on. Shot was using a different machine. I sat for a little over 8 hours yesterday. When Short was tattooing me and Jace was tattooing me with the Hawk I could not even feel Jace tattooing me. EXCEPT around my nipples, that s&!t just flat out did not feel good. But it would not be fun if you did not experience some pain!

I have also heard from a friend that has been tattooed with the Hawk that it heals faster too. Jace and Short traded back and forth with the Hawk and they both like the machine.

I will keep you posted how the color turns out after the peeling and flaking and how fast it heals.

Here's the pics:

Old 09-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Field Marshal

found an interview where chris trevino mentions his use of rotary machines, about nine or so minutes in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5-j_aJbR38
Old 09-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBT View Post
nah...machines are a very important piece when it comes to tattooing, there are night and day differences between great, good and bad machines!!
I truely believe that there are night and day differences in machines cause i tried out a few of them.That being said I was some killer tattoos done with a crapy 15$ machine os of ebay,you know the ones that almost every tattoo supply place has and tries to sell em for 30 bucks.I will have to take a pic of my arm and post it.the guy that did my skull used a machine off of ebaythat he got I think 2for 40$ deal.

Tags
machines, rotary