Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 02-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Private

Default how bad do i suck?

i'm 32 years old and (mostly) self taught. i got a job in a shop at 18, just weeks after getting some real equipment. i quit after less than a year to train mma full time. some years later i got a job at a different shop, the other guy was way worse than me, so i told the owner i wouldn't work with him because i didn't want my name associated with his work. he told me i was the new manager and to fire the guy if i wanted. since i couldn't find anybody better than me that would work there, i continued to work by myself with nobody to learn from or grow with. i've spent more time working out of the house than at shops. i do have my own autoclave, and my home studio is nicer than some shops i've worked in. tile floors, proper furniture and equipment in a designated room. new needles for every customer (i actually quit a couple shops where i had a chance to work with better artists because they reused needles or were otherwise unsanitary) so please don't group me with your average kitchen hackers. i've been more flash mechanic than artist for the most part, it takes me FOREVER to draw custom pieces. i don't do photo realisim and don't claim to. anyway, my customers are always happy, but we all know most of 'em don't know s**t. so check out some of my work and tell me if you think i should try harder or hang it up. keep it honest but please don't be nasty. http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=1097254
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:28 PM
CEO, Reese Cup Corp
Field Marshal

Default Re: how bad do i suck?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH1uo4UcPl4

Christopher McCandless
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Private

i don't quite get the meaning of that reply...is my work as ugly as dog sex?
Old 02-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Field Marshal

First off: NEVER, NEVER start off with the "title" you did. It automatically puts bad thoughts into everyones heads.

Second: Your background story is nice, but it's not really necessary to spill every little thing.

Third: Your work isn't bad, it's not terrible, it doesn't suck. You haven't seen it yet in the bad tattoos thread so that right there says something. Having said that, there are some improvements you could easily make with some help/guidance/friendly competition with others.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Professional Ass Hat
Corporal

Location: Dawsonville: Where men are men and livestock are nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickazzink View Post
anyway, my customers are always happy, but we all know most of 'em don't know s**t. so check out some of my work and tell me if you think i should try harder or hang it up. keep it honest but please don't be nasty. http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=1097254
Seems like ok work, but I'm afraid I fall into the catagory of people that, as you say, "don't know sh*t" (nice).

The ironic part is that after you say that you say "please don't be nasty" with our comments about your work. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the actual tattooing is only part of a successful business.
Treating customers with respect would seem to be a pretty critical part as well. Sorry. Just my .02
Old 02-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Private

mope head, i did say MOST...MYSELF INCLUDED, even years into my career i didn't know s**t about placement, backgrounds, negative space, or contrast compared to what i know now. but ur right, i should've worded it more professionally. thanx for your input, and sorry if i offended.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:43 PM
DiQuartel

Man, I don't think you offended anybody here, don't worry about that. We know you were just looking for some feedback.

Inkmunky is right, we haven't seen any of your work in the bad tattoos thread, so you can't be all bad. Sure, you could use some improvement, but every artist should be constantly seeking improvement no matter how great they are.

Mope head also makes a great point. Tattooing well is not the only aspect of being successful in the industry, just the most obvious one.

If you can't work in an environment where you have other artists to feed off of creatively, then travel. Go to conventions and watch, and be willing to spend some money on seminars if there is a good one going down (We have some artists doing seminars when they travel, so keep checking this forum to see if maybe one is close to where you are). Get tattooed by artists you want to learn from, and PAY ATTENTION to what they are doing, and ask questions if the artist doesn't mind. It is totally worth time and money to travel if you are learning and improving yourself as a result.

There are good seminars out there on DVD as well. The Whole Enchilada series is great, and I'm not just saying that because I work for All Or Nothing. (I don't get paid when people buy it, so my plugging it is because I learned a LOT from it) http://strangleholdmerch.com/seminar-dvd-c-19.html

Do whatever you need to do to keep learning. Eat cheap so you can save money to spend on stuff that will help you improve. It will pay off.

Terry, you are my hero, I love that commercial.

Terry, that durex commercial is FREAKING AWESOME!!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Professional Ass Hat
Corporal

Location: Dawsonville: Where men are men and livestock are nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickazzink View Post
mope head, i did say MOST...MYSELF INCLUDED, even years into my career i didn't know s**t about placement, backgrounds, negative space, or contrast compared to what i know now. but ur right, i should've worded it more professionally. thanx for your input, and sorry if i offended.
It's all good. Sorry if I jumped off a little quick.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Platoon Sargent

You seem like decent enough of a guy but I have a hard time believing you just can't find someone to help you or a decent shop to work in. You come across as a guy wanting to tattoo at home so that you don't have to split the money. I obviously don't know if that's the case, but if it is, you're work is ok but not good enough to where you don't need a lot of help.

Your color blends are non-existent and that's usually the first sign of a tattooer that hasn't been properly trained.
Is your "shop" regulated?
Do you do spore tests to ensure that your autoclave works properly?
Do you know how to properly keep from cross-contaminating your equipment?

It's very important to be humble and know that you need to get help. Especially in "J-ville". There are shops on every corner. I strongly finding a shop where you can grow as an artist. It'll make a big difference.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Corporal

get tattooed by artists that you like. You will learn a lot. Go to other shops and hang out. I've learned so much from getting tattooed by better artists, and when allowed, I'll stop in every now or then and watch them work. There is a lot to be learned. If you can, shop around and find a quality shop to get into so you can learn from other artists. You may start at the bottom of the barrel, but over time you will improve. You've got to get outside of that box. Tattooing by yourself is tough. You have nobody to compete with other than yourself. It'll take you so much longer to progress in that situation than it will working with more experienced and accomplished artists. Take some art courses as well. They'll help you understand your values, how to achieve certain transitions, etc. Once again, you'll be learning from more experienced artists. You have to really just jump into the water. Putting your toes in the water isn't enough. Study, study, study. I remember when I started, buying everything I could on art. Tons of tattoo magazines, Juxtapoz, Graffiti books, anything that could help me progress. I still do this stuff. You have to give it everything you've got. Don't be afraid of harsh criticism of you work. It's not a personal attack on you, most of the time it's the simple truth. There will be cases when someone critiques out of line, but in those cases, f@#k em. And even then you might pick up some ideas. Look for improvement everywhere. As far as the " should I try harder or just give up" comment, TRY HARDER!!!!!!!! You need to look for progression everywhere. If you don't feel as though you want to put in the work, then maybe it's time to hang it up. This business is not for the timid or weekend warriors. There's a romance to this s&!t, love it!!!!!! I for one, think you'll be fine. Just keep at it!!!!!!!

Tags
bad, suck